2017 Glacier Half Marathon

A place to talk about Glacier in general

Moderators: Jen, Tara, Kathy

2017 Glacier Half Marathon

Postby Pizza Bob » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:13 pm

I have officially started my training for the June 24 Glacier Half Marathon, and intend
to keep the chatters apprised of my progress. Is there anyone else further along than me?

My goals are modest. Success is if I cross the start and finish line in the same day.

You can always earn more money, but you can't earn more time
Pizza Bob

Re: 2017 Glacier Half Marathon

Postby Jen » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:03 pm

YOU ARE DOING GREAT! GO PIZZA BOB GO!

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Jen
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Postby teapot57 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:23 pm

I haven't even started training yet so you're ahead of me. My excuse is that my t-shirt hasn't arrived yet, but it is apparently on its way so the party is soon over.

My goals are about the same as yours-- I just want to make it across the finish line. Will you be waiting there with your flask? That might be the motivation I need! :D
teapot57

Postby Pizza Bob » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:16 pm

My flask has been shared amongst many interesting individuals and geezers :wink: .
This one was from July 31, 2016, where this veteran took me on my first traverse
of Shangri-La on an absolutely brilliant weather day.

For race day I may need a larger flask!

As for actual running training, I did an 8 mile run in the redwoods today. Gotta
get a long run in every weekend, increasing it a bit as it feels comfortable. I'd be
most interested in hearing about any other folks training.
Pizza Bob

Postby llholmes1948 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:38 am

teapot57 wrote:I haven't even started training yet so you're ahead of me. My excuse is that my t-shirt hasn't arrived yet, but it is apparently on its way so the party is soon over.

My goals are about the same as yours-- I just want to make it across the finish line. Will you be waiting there with your flask? That might be the motivation I need! :D

There is no question about it. You cannot begin training until your t-shirt arrives. It would be really bad karma otherwise.

Good luck to you and Bob,

Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:47 am

For race day I may need a larger flask!

As for actual running training, I did an 8 mile run in the redwoods today. Gotta
get a long run in every weekend, increasing it a bit as it feels comfortable. I'd be
most interested in hearing about any other folks training.

Someone was drinking alcohol on that mountain? I'm shocked! :shock:
I keep promising myself I'll train....when I can see the ground to train on
8)

pete :wink:

America--"The Per-Click Driven Economy". What could possibly go wrong? 8)
PeteE

Postby teapot57 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:05 am

I'd be most interested in hearing about any other folks training.

I am going to do one of the Hal Higdon training programs. He has a variety of 12 week programs that vary based on your fitness level when you start your training. I will be starting with one of the novice programs, but if you are already running 8 mile stretches, you would probably choose one of the more advanced ones.

http://www.halhigdon.com

Just click on the "Half Marathon" link at the top of the page and you can learn more about the different programs. There is also an app you can download, but I'll probably just print off a hard copy of the training program of choice and put it on the fridge so it's staring me in the face each day.

There is no question about it. You cannot begin training until your t-shirt arrives. It would be really bad karma otherwise.

Thanks for the support, Lyman. I was starting to feel a little lazy but you've made me realize I'm doing the right thing. :D

I keep promising myself I'll train....when I can see the ground to train on 8)

I hear you, Pete. I get bored pretty easily on a treadmill. I jogged outside a few times last week but there were still a few icy spots making it quite treacherous. We haven't had as much snow as you, but the same system that you are currently dealing with has dropped about 10-12 inches as of this morning. Between the snow and ice, it will be awhile before I'm back outside.
teapot57

Postby NDjason » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Good luck to you. I gave up running as a New Years Resolution 4 years ago, and I'm no quitter. So I'll just have to cheer from the sidelines.
~ jason
NDjason
Donator
Donator

Postby Pizza Bob » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:11 pm

Good luck to you. I gave up running as a New Years Resolution 4 years ago, and I'm no quitter. So I'll just have to cheer from the sidelines.

Never say never. I gave up whiskey as a New Years Resolution at least once, but have seen the error of my ways. You may also relent and take up running :D

Seriously, though, you may consider the race day as an opportunity to bike the course. The race is on a public road,
and I would expect there to be plenty of caution signs for vehicles warning about congestion so any auto traffic is
hopefully cautious and slow (especially since these days many folks will have phones to take videos of any unsafe drivers).
Pizza Bob

Postby Pizza Bob » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:33 pm

W19

Only 19 weeks left before the race. After a good week of runs -- 6 out of 7 days -- I
managed to stretch something in the back which makes just walking and pretty
much any other movement a struggle. So for now it's a steady advil drip and positive
calorie lunches. There are encouraging signs, and I expect to be able to do easy
jogs by the end of the week.

Just more reason to start your training early to provide time for setbacks!
Pizza Bob

Postby teapot57 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:28 pm

Hope you are feeling better, Pizza Bob!

My t-shirt arrived. But it doesn't seem true to size. Can training start when it actually fits? :D

I've been running a bit, but actually doing more cross-training this week in the form of snowshoeing, cross country skiing, and the stair climber. I'm having a hard time staying motivated to jog on a treadmill, to be honest with you. I'd rather be outside, but the sidewalks and streets are a bit treacherous yet.
teapot57

Postby Pizza Bob » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:31 pm

W18 -- only 18 weeks to go!

I relied on Ma and Pa to heal my back -- Mother Nature and Father Time -- and they do not disappoint. Only
two runs (4 and 5 miles), but that is much greater than zero. A few days of Advil and rest seems to
be all I needed. I expect to be back in the swing of things this week, but the most important thing
to learn is to listen to your body. If it says it ain't ready, don't push it.

I'm actually blessed to be running outdoors in the redwoods in California presently, but that presents
other challenges. Because of epic proportion rains, the rangers have closed the trails where I run
since the numerous mudslides and washouts limit their ability to provide any rescue services. The road
damage in these parts is quite severe and will take years to fix.

When in Montana, I run in microspikes in the winter. If it is below freezing I resort to tights, otherwise
it is shorts (hey, if you got the legs, flaunt 'em I always say!). I think I may have run on a treadmill once,
but that's like ice skating without a stick in your hands .... it is an unnatural act! Throw layers on
and get outside.
Pizza Bob

Postby teapot57 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:05 am

The problem with microspikes is that the ice is patchy around here. There is some bare sidewalk/street, then other large areas of ice where the drainage is bad due to sewers being iced in, which would result in a lot of stops to take spikes on and off. It's just not practical and would totally interrupt your pace.

I agree with you about treadmill running-- unnatural is a good way to describe it. I was gone over the weekend and there has been a lot of melting since last week, so I'm going to get out there today and see if the streets and sidewalks are in better shape. They seem to be from a driveby.

Hopefully the Looking Glass Road clears of snow within the next 18 weeks!
teapot57

Postby paul » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:01 am

Yes, you can't really use microspikes/yaktraks for running unless you are running completely on ice and snow. If you are shifting between hard dry surfaces and snow and ice it doesn't work well.

I hate running on treadmills so I just try to be careful on my winter runs. I slow down and sometimes walk in really icy areas. It's a real pain.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
paul
Donator
Donator

Postby Pizza Bob » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:13 am

W17 -- 17 weeks until race day

An excellent 8 mile run today. I usually run poorly if I either eat pizza or have a shot of whiskey the day before,
but apparently the combination of the two provides a boost. Perhaps I'll investigate this with further experiments!

No microspikes needed for me, but that's because I'm training in a redwood forest that is saturated from recent rains.
Many mudslides to wade in and around, and toppled trees to climb over. It's a beautiful area to run in, but .... it
is not Glacier (sigh).

If the week goes well it will be time to increase mileage on the weekend long run.

For motivation I did manage to find a video of Looking Glass highway. This is an incredible course ... and that
uphill goes on a long, long way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJUlwA5k0fo
Pizza Bob

Next

Return to General Glacier Discussion