Private land in Park - 50 years ago

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Private land in Park - 50 years ago

Postby llholmes1948 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:14 pm

An item in the Hungry Horse News Yesterdays column:

"Nov. 3, 1967
Glacier Park was buying up private lands inside its boundaries. In the 1940s, the story noted, there was about 20,000 acres of private land in the park. In 1967, there was about 2,100 acres. The largest inholding the Park was going to buy was the 542- acre McFarland Ranch up the North Fork at Big Prairie. The purchase price was about $181,000. Another large inholding — the McCarthy Ray Robinson holdings were bought for $65,000 for 130 acres."
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Re: Private land in Park - 50 years ago

Postby joybird » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:03 pm

Interesting! Thanks for sharing, Lyman.

Any idea how many acres of inholdings still remain now, 50 years later?

(I’ve always found it interesting that the maps show a slip of inholding land along the edge of Cracker Lake. I wonder who owns it?)
joybird
Donator
Donator

Postby llholmes1948 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:40 am

joybird wrote:
(I’ve always found it interesting that the maps show a slip of inholding land along the edge of Cracker Lake. I wonder who owns it?)

Joybird,

It is funny that you mention that. I remember when I worked at Lake McDonald Lodge around 1971 one of the other employees just casually mentioned that his family owned a parcel of land in the Park at Cracker Lake. Some day I should go over the employee lists from that time and see if I can recall who it was and possibly try to contact him and see if they still own it! I think he was from Seattle. If I ever find out anything I will report back.

Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Postby mattB » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:51 pm

joybird wrote:Interesting! Thanks for sharing, Lyman.

Any idea how many acres of inholdings still remain now, 50 years later?

What map are you looking at that shows the inholdings? I just brought up a TopoQuest USGS topo map of Cracker Lake and I don't see any private land..
Just curious.. I do see a "Cracker Mine" marked on the map.. The inholding may have been a Mining Claim?
mattB
Donator
Donator

Postby joybird » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:03 pm

It is on my National Geographic "Glacier and Waterton Lakes" map. There are two private parcels, both shaped like very skinny rectangles.

One is north of/adjacent to (but does not include) the mine entrance. On my map it looks like it extends almost to the water's edge, includes the campground(!), and then runs up the slope of the mountain to about 8000' in elevation.

The other parcel is directly across the lake from the campground. This one looks like it extends from the lake edge (right about where the South end of the lake widens a bit) and up to about 7300'.

Lyman, please do let us know if you find that guy and learn anything about that parcel and its history!
joybird
Donator
Donator

Postby dpratt » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:54 am

For what it is worth, there are no private parcels in the area of Cracker Lake on Montana Cadastral, which contains details about all private property in the state. It indicates that the entire area is owned by the government. Just to make sure that isn't a default in the park, I also looked around Apgar and Lake McDonald, and all of those private parcels list owner details.
dpratt
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Return to General Glacier Discussion