Logan Pass crowds - 8 a.m.

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: Logan Pass crowds - 8 a.m.

Postby Badgerhiker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:05 pm

I agree with MarxMN. When I was at the park in July I went to Logan Pass twice at 6:30-7:00. Plenty of parking and the hidden lake trail had people but was not crowed. I walked around until sunset and saw lots of animals plus the setting sun was nice reflecting on the mountain peaks. I climbed Reynolds one day and hiked back in the early afternoon. What a zoo, I couldn't get to my car fast enough. In my opinion this is the only time to visit Logan Pass unless of course your doing the highline or climbing one of the peaks up there.
Badgerhiker

Postby PeteE » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:37 am

It's all well and good that Logan Pass parking is available after 6:30PM---at least for now.
The topic, and the problem, is what to do about parking along the GTTS road and Logan Pass in the AM.

Some say, including me, park at St Mary or Apgar and ride the shuttle.
That'll work but only if you get to Apgar or St Mary well before 7:AM as those parking lots are beginning to fill up as well.
The downside of riding the shuttle from Apgar is that even if you get the 7:00 express shuttle, you won't get to Logan before 8:00-8:30AM.
That's too late for me for most of my hiking....which is why I still prefer to get up at 4:00AM and drive in.

So yeah, late afternoon evening is still a nice time to enjoy some of the sights, but that doesn't help the day hikers and other visitors who want to get an early start.

pete :wink:

This is from 7:24AM this morning.
PeteE

Postby ND » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:18 pm

Unbelievable! 7:24 am? I hate it!
ND

Postby Sue Z » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:37 am

On July 30, we got to Logan Pass at 730 and there was plenty of parking. Our big mistake was having a leisurely tailgate breakfast in the parking lot. By the time we hopped on the Highline to Granite Park it was a superhighway.
Sue Z
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Postby trevbo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:14 pm

Took me 3 hours and 35 minutes to get from Apgar to Logan’s on Monday August 6th!

I misjudged the time it would take me to drive to Apgar from my campground on the east side at Johnson’s and made terrible time driving after waking up at 4 am. I only arrived at the Apgar transit station at 7:00 and waited 1.5 hours before first available shuttle. Then had to transfer at Avalanche and wait another 20 minutes. Arrived at Logan’s Pass at 10:35. The frustrating thing was the shuttles at Apgar would only take 6-7 people at a time to reserve spots for picking up hikers at the Loop, which the lady coordinating the shuttles at Apgar explained was their policy/ mandate (one I do not agree with). She did say they were down a driver and that it was a slightly longer wait than usual.

It was a great ride once aboard... I missed my hiking partner though and hiked floral traverse by myself (solo hiking isn’t my thing and something I dont recommend for floral). Ended up taking me 10.5 hours and was not able to make my 11 PM border crossing but Floral Park was worth it. (Was my 3rd try to get er done).

I love glacier and fully support the shuttle system. I think it is the way of the future but the present state isn’t great! can only recommend the shuttle with a caveat that you have to get the shuttle early or you may wait a long time, especially first thing in the morning.
trevbo

Previous

Return to General Glacier Discussion