Proposed cell tower - West Glacier

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Proposed cell tower - West Glacier

Postby llholmes1948 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:20 am

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Re: Proposed cell tower - West Glacier

Postby PeteE » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:11 am

llholmes1948 wrote:Link to an item in the Missoulian:

https://missoulian.com/news/local/flath ... 82CB64C1CA

I suppose it was inevitable.

Junior to Dad:
"Gee Dad, extended cell service coming to Glacier Park. Isn't it great!?
Now we'll be able to sit around the dinner table at Lake McDonald Lodge and bury our faces in our iStuff"

:roll:
pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby mattB » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:58 pm

I don't think we're ever going to be able to turn back the clock on technology and society.
And if some families want to sit around their dinner table in Lake McDonald Lodge with their noses buried in their devices, I guess thats their choice.
But it does seem like there are some safety issues and communication issues that could easily be solved with better cell coverage in the park.
On my recent hike we were meeting Paul halfway for a key swap, it all turned out fine, but it would have been nice to have made a simple status check to report our progress to each other prior to the meet-up.
Or there were a couple days where our party got split up on the trail (faster hikers and slower hikes), and the fast hikers began to worry a bit when the slow hikers were late getting to camp. There were never any problems (the slow hikers are just dawdlers!), but it would have been handy to have been able to send a simple text message saying "We're not dead yet, be at camp in an hour"...

Also, being able to get updated weather or fire reports while in the backcountry could be very useful.
mattB
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:02 pm

mattB wrote:I don't think we're ever going to be able to turn back the clock on technology and society....

You are, of course, absolutely correct Matt in that assessment.
No turning back the clock.

And so lil "Johnny" will be able to curl up in his sleeping bag with his iPhone and play "Manhunt II".
Dad can check on football scores, and Mom and sis can keep up with friends on Fakebook.
All while in the backcountry wilderness. 8)

And yeah, yours truly will probably be posting here on the chat from Granite Park Chalet this weekend...
Especially if I'm successful in getting to Iceberg Notch and the summit of Grinnell Mt.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Cheers

pete :wink:

PS

Should we ask the NPS to install solar chargers at all the BC campgrounds?
How else will people "keep up with the Kardashians"? 8)
PeteE

Postby Pizza Bob » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:13 pm

*sarcasm on*
Without cell service in the park, how is one able to post complaints about the outrageous $70/year annual pass cost?
*sarcasm off*

Annual park pass cost pales in comparison to cell phone cost, and in my very humble opinion provides far more enjoyment.
You can always earn more money, but you can't earn more time
Pizza Bob

Postby Sue Z » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:28 pm

mattB wrote:But it does seem like there are some safety issues and communication issues that could easily be solved with better cell coverage in the park.

I agree, even though I know that plenty of idiots will abuse it.
Sue Z
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Postby llholmes1948 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:22 am

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Return to General Glacier Discussion