backcountry campsite reviews

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: backcountry campsite reviews

Postby PeteE » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:30 am

risingwolf wrote:Too much information. Where is the mystery, the discovery. I think all this info impacts the park and users experience negatively. Is this going to Yelp next. Just get a map and hit the trail.

Your post reminded me of a quote that I love--

“Men Have Become the Tools of Their Tools.” Henry David Thoreau

While I'm sympathetic to your thoughts, I've come to realize that all this technology we have today ain't going away.
It's a completely different world now--the "Information Age".
Sadly, the world you and I knew is gone forever.

As a child, I grew up in the 1950's exploring the scrub oak forests, lakes and swamp land near my central Florida home with nothing other than my wits.
I had a bicycle for my "horse". My Mom just scolded me to not be late for dinner. 8)
Maybe I should revive a post I had here some years ago about how I got my "sense of adventure" from my Dad, a member of the New York Explorers Club.
Dad managed to navigate us from Seattle to Alaska in a 21ft outboard "cabin cruiser" with nothing more than a big roll of charts and a compass back in 1959.

Campsite for the night. My Dad and I on the right. My Mom, sister and brother left. The other boat was a 24 footer which was the "subject boat" of the movie my Dad filmed for Mercury Outboard Motors titled "Outboard to Alaska". Ironic in that it helped pave the way for the tourists of the day to take on a challenge like we're discussing here regarding GNP 8)

RIP Mom,Dad, brother Bob

Thank you Sean for indulging this nostalgic old man...
I'm not critical of your effort at all.
I believe it's a worthy project and I'll help if I can! :)
pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby McKee80 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:45 am

PeteE wrote:Thank you Sean for indulging this nostalgic old man...

Ha. No worries. That's a really cool story and picture. What an adventure!
McKee80
Donator
Donator

Postby tibber » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:01 pm

very cool story and picture Pete. Thx for sharing.

And I'm all for getting a little more info out there. If people are already going to a Park approved site and it's not dispersed, why not. However, I can understand one's reluctance to share but as Pete says, we ain't going back so let's make the best of it. I think with people like Sean and Matt trying to help us out there as well as Glacier Chat it makes our lives just a little nicer.
tibber

Postby PeteE » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:04 pm

McKee80 wrote:...I see it as an extension of the small part of the Molvar book that rates backcountry campsites, except you get different opinions of the same site. It comes from my belief that you can create stewards of the environment by having people experience the environment first hand...

That's a fair statement Sean.
Many of us have made good use of Molvar's books. I know I have.
Guides like Sean's and mileage charts like Matt's are simply an expansion of a guide book like Molvar's and others.

The problem, if there is one, is what people do with the information. That's something nobody has any control over.
Saying too much information is bad is a little bit like saying guns kill people or spoons make people fat.

Younger generations have been brought up in this "information age". They like having lots of data to sift through and consider.
That said, there is something about heading out into the "unknown" and coping with whatever comes your way.
Challenging yourself using the intuitive skills and knowledge you were born with and refined over time.

That's why I long to spend some time in the Beartooth, alone. 8)
That said, I have spent hours studying maps of the area I'm interested in.

So thanks Sean. Keep up the good work.

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby Sue Z » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:06 am

risingwolf wrote:Too much information. Where is the mystery, the discovery.

I've been a backpacker for 40 years, and I've always welcomed advance intel. Have I been doing it wrong?

It's not just a matter of safety - like knowing where grizzlies are hanging out, or where you can find water in the desert canyons. And it's more than just enriching the experience - knowing were to find really cool stuff along the way - although I love that.

It's also about avoiding unnecessary suffering. I don't believe that it detracts from my experience or makes me a less worthy backpacker if I use intel to avoid a night of mosquito-infested misery in some pest-hole campsite. Sh*t happens, but I don't revel in it.

So, I'm gonna continue to go with the info, and I plan to contribute my two cents to the database.
Sue Z
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Postby Jimmy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:22 pm

GREAT site! I added some reviews for you.
Jimmy

Postby McKee80 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:13 am

Thank you! Slowly but surely more information is getting in there. Let me know if there is anything I can do to make it better.

Sean
McKee80
Donator
Donator

Previous

Return to General Glacier Discussion