Latest 2020 Season Opening News

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Tara, Kathy

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Latest 2020 Season Opening News

Post by PeteE »

Fairbanks142 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:58 am
And here's the related article on the Teton NPS site:
https://www.nps.gov/grte/learn/news/gro ... -field.htm
From the above article:
Operating a motor vehicle off roadways is a violation and subject to a fine up to $5,000 and/or up to six months imprisonment. Additionally, the System Unit Resource Protection Act provides that any person or instrumentality that destroys, causes the loss of or injures, of any National Park Service resource is liable for response costs and damages.
So how many of you believe that IF CAUGHT, any of this crowd damaging the hay field will get "a fine up to $5,000 and/or up to six months imprisonment."
I'll lay odds that number will be ZERO.
Any that do get caught and prosecuted will WHINE to one of our pathetic Federal judges and get off with a hand slap(warning and probation) at most.
Just sayin' 8)

pete :wink:
"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

indiana hiker
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Latest 2020 Season Opening News

Post by indiana hiker »

Agree Pete. If authorities would actually start using the fines and jail time, it MIGHT have an impact on others. The fine for the helicopter in the Bob Marshall area was a joke to those people. I wish the person taking the Teton video had included more license plates, but it probably wouldn't have mattered. Some of the people seemed to be laughing during the video. This type of behavior makes visits to the parks less enjoyable, at least for me. I can't just stand by and watch but you know even if you approach the person or report it, most times nothing becomes of it.