Vote for your Favorite National Park...

A place to talk about Glacier in general

Moderators: Jen, Tara, Kathy

Vote for your Favorite National Park...

Postby daveparker » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am

The National Park Foundation and Coca-Cola are encouraging Americans to be active outdoors in their national and state parks with the launch of the America Is Your Park campaign. Through this campaign, an *online voting center* www.livepositively.com/#/americasparks/vote has been created to let individuals cast a vote for their favorite park. The national or state park that receives the most votes by August 31st wins a $100,000 grant made possible by Coca-Cola's Live Positively initiative. No sign-up or registration is necessary to participate and individuals can vote as many times as they want until the voting closes on August 31st.

To vote, begin by going here www.livepositively.com/#/americasparks/vote (linked below). Then simply:

1) Click the Vote for your park! button.

2) Type the name of the park you'd like to vote for in the Search box in the upper left corner, and hit the Enter key.

3) Click on the red Vote button next to the name of the park you support.

In addition, for every vote cast, Coca-Cola will also donate $1 to the National Park Foundation up to a total donation of $200,000.

http://www.livepositively.com/#/americasparks/vote
daveparker
Site Admin

Re: Vote for your Favorite National Park...

Postby flatlander » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:52 pm

I just cast my first 10 votes for my favorite park but, must admit, it is a bit discouraging to to see a new total for GNP of only 454 versus 7,398 for Little Ocmulgee State Park! Where, and what the heck, is that?!

This contest is either rigged, someone has figured a way to program votes, or the staff at Lil O State Park aren't working very hard on their assigned duties today!
flatlander
Donator
Donator

Postby flatlander » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:33 pm

Just checked into the contest to see how GNP is doing, and it is NOT pretty. I casy 5 more votes for Glacier to get it up to 2,820, but gave up when I noticed that Great Smoky NP was at 68,999. Yes, over 24 times our vote!

I know Great Smoky gets about 9.5 million visitors/year versus the 3.0 million to Glacier but, come on folks, 2,820 is an embarrassment!
flatlander
Donator
Donator

Postby Pocketlint » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Nobody cares about Montana "Back East".

How often do you ever hear about Montana on/in the news? Almost never. That's how often.

Take the Weather Channel...

I'm a "weather freak". I like extreme weather. Montana gets a lot of it. So what does the weather channel show of MT?

Maybe Billings Hi/Lo temps.

Why? Not enough viewers to "buy soap" is my opinion .

Many people can't find Montana, the 3rd largest state in the lower 48, on the US map....nevermind GNP up in the NW corner! :wink:

I'm with ya...I wish it was better, but don't hold your breath.

pocketlint :wink:
Pocketlint

Postby Kathy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:45 am

Pocketlint wrote:Nobody cares about Montana "Back East".

How often do you ever hear about Montana on/in the news? Almost never. That's how often.

Take the Weather Channel...

I'm a "weather freak". I like extreme weather. Montana gets a lot of it. So what does the weather channel show of MT?

Maybe Billings Hi/Lo temps.

Why? Not enough viewers to "buy soap" is my opinion .

Many people can't find Montana, the 3rd largest state in the lower 48, on the US map....nevermind GNP up in the NW corner! :wink:

I'm with ya...I wish it was better, but don't hold your breath.

pocketlint :wink:

A couple things......
1. beautiful, pristine, non-crowded and non"citified" Montana flyin' under the radar sometimes is NOT a bad thing! :wink: ("Montana, yeah, nothin' to see there! Keep movin'!") :wink: :wink:

Montana flyin' under the radar sometimes is NOT a bad thing!
...in this case, it is! - I'm voting!! - I'm voting!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
"You never really leave a place you love....part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind."
So....Live well. - Laugh often. - Love much.----And get to Glacier as often as you can!
Kathy
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Postby alwaysmtntime » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:19 am

Glacier all the way! I wish we lived in Montana. I would really have to adapt to the winters. We get just the opposite here. We loved the fact that when we returned our rental car the guy told us just to leave the keys in the car and he'd pick it up sometime during the day at the airport. Speaks volumes. You can't leave your keys in the car in your own garage here. We have discussed moving more and more. Envious of those of you who get to see it every day! You are truly blessed!
alwaysmtntime

Postby Hockey Ref » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:51 am

flatlander wrote:Just checked into the contest to see how GNP is doing, and it is NOT pretty. I casy 5 more votes for Glacier to get it up to 2,820, but gave up when I noticed that Great Smoky NP was at 68,999. Yes, over 24 times our vote!

I know Great Smoky gets about 9.5 million visitors/year versus the 3.0 million to Glacier but, come on folks, 2,820 is an embarrassment!

As someone else mentioned, having Glacier fly under the radar might not be a totally bad thing. On the one hand, it helps to keep the park less crowded and less commercial. On the other hand, not being noticed, or worse, being thought unpopular by those wielding the purse strings, might not help with future funding.
Hockey Ref

"No man lies on his death bed wishing he'd spent more time at the office...or getting chemo."
Hockey Ref
Special Contributor
Special Contributor

Postby alwaysmtntime » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:08 pm

Hockey Ref,

I agree with you that Glacier deserves funding! I have often wondered why the Smokies does not charge an entrance fee?? Anyone know?
alwaysmtntime

Postby orin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Not sure of the details but the legislation that created the park required a no entrance fee provision in order to get sufficient support to pass.
orin

Postby July Guy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:52 pm

"Northern Minnesota park nabs $100,000 as the nation's favorite"

"In an Internet poll sponsored by the National Park Foundation and Coca-Cola, the park received more than a quarter of the 5.7 million votes cast."

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/tr ... ec8O7EyUsl

..if the link doesn't work, do a search on Bear Head Lake State Park.
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker
July Guy
Donator
Donator

Postby ManyGlacierSean » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:15 am

Shhhhhh everyone... a big part of the greatness that is Glacier is that nobody knows about it. I was in Arches yesterday and the amount of people made me sick, even if I myself was a person there at the time.

Having visited 20 other parks in the last 15 months (Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Crater Lake, Redwoods, Point Reyes, Sequoia, Death Valley, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Saguaro, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, Rocky Mountain, Wind Cave, Badlands, Theodore Roosevelt) I can honestly say that not one of them can equal Glacier. They are spectacular places and all should be visited, but none can equal Glacier. I am torn between returning to Glacier for a 3rd summer or seeing what Alaska has to offer, but from what I have seen, Coca-Cola or whoever can give $100K to any park it wants but until John Q. American visits Glacier he/she will never know.
He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary - Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
ManyGlacierSean

Postby Tara » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:35 pm

<<Shhhhhh everyone... a big part of the greatness that is Glacier is that nobody knows about it. I was in Arches yesterday and the amount of people made me sick, even if I myself was a person there at the time.

Having visited 20 other parks in the last 15 months (Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Crater Lake, Redwoods, Point Reyes, Sequoia, Death Valley, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Saguaro, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, Rocky Mountain, Wind Cave, Badlands, Theodore Roosevelt) I can honestly say that not one of them can equal Glacier. They are spectacular places and all should be visited, but none can equal Glacier. I am torn between returning to Glacier for a 3rd summer or seeing what Alaska has to offer, but from what I have seen, Coca-Cola or whoever can give $100K to any park it wants but until John Q. American visits Glacier he/she will never know.>>

MGSean: "Like!"
Tara
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Return to General Glacier Discussion