Hiker injured while descending Siyeh

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Tara, Kathy

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Gun discharged to summon help

Post by llholmes1948 »

An article from the Daily Inter Lake:

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/members/g ... 963f4.html

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Re: Gun discharged to summon help

Post by llholmes1948 »

Further information from the good folks at the Missoulian:

http://missoulian.com/news/local/man-tu ... 963f4.html

mikie
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Hiker injured while descending Siyeh

Post by mikie »

Two hikers from Alabama where injured while descending Siyeh Mtn. A rock was dislodged from the 2nd hiker and rolled down an struck the 1st hiker in the head. One of the hikers discharged a gun in an attempt to get the attention of other hikers. You can read the NPS News Release here.

scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Re: Hiker injured while descending Siyeh

Post by scott-atl »

discharging a gun to get attention?!! hikers all over that trail. stupid is as stupid does.

Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

scott-atl wrote:discharging a gun to get attention?!! hikers all over that trail. stupid is as stupid does.
I don't believe this accident happened on a trail. The two guys were down climbing Mount Siyeh.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.

mikie

Post by mikie »

It wasn't on the trail. They were both descending Siyeh.

The hiker first yelled for help. When he didn't get the response he was looking for, he discharged the gun. Hikers on the trail heard both the yelling and the gun shot. I would move in the opposite direct of a gun shot. A whistle is the universal signal that a hiker is in trouble. A whistle would make me move towards them.

GNP gave the hiker a warning over the gun shot.

daveparker
Site Admin

Post by daveparker »

They should have ticketed him over the discharge of the firearm, being a hunter, we as hunters all know that 3 shots in quick succession is a sign of trouble and someone needs help, in a hiking situation such as this a whistle would have been a much better choice, I believe the original press release stated he shot in a direction that provided a backstop so no one else would be at risk, but it was still not the best way to signal for help in the park.

Ravekid

Post by Ravekid »

Not knowing the geography of the area where the shot took place, I can't say the guy was in the wrong. I too have been told the universal sign of trouble using a firearm is three shots, not one. That being said, I can understand why someone would only want to fire one shot, and it sounds like this guy did it as safely as possible. Using a whistle, in a park like Glacier with bears, would make me wonder if people would even care about that sound. If it came from above, like on the face of a climbing surface then I could see people being intrigued by it and looking up, if the person knew that would be an odd place for most people. However, if it sounded more ground level, I would think it was someone just being pro-active and using a whistle while hiking. Combined with yelling, then I would possibly think there is more to the whistle if it was preceded or followed by sounds of someone yelling.