Many Glacier Webcam?

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Tara, Kathy

Carol Lynn
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Many Glacier Webcam?

Post by Carol Lynn »

Hi everyone! I'm a newly registered member, but a long time lurker. I've gotten hooked on watching the webcams and wonder why there isn't a webcam in the Many Glacier area. I read about a MG webcam in some of the old posts, but what happened to it? Is it gone for good?

mikie
Gender?: Male

Re: Many Glacier Webcam?

Post by mikie »

It has been a while since I read about how the web cams came about. Here is how I remember it: In the beginning, visitors paid for the cams, and the park put them in and ran them. I believe that the Many Glacier cam died, and was never replaced. This was before the growth of social media. When social media became popular, GNP was the most knowledgeable. They taught the other NP's how to do it. Then the NPS created a budget for social media. I believe that some of the newer cams were purchased by the NPS. But, I could be wrong. Maybe someone else has more information on the cams.

pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

I think the webcams were originally funded by the Glacier Natural History Association (one of the predecessors of the current Glacier Conservancy). Of all the webcams, they always had the most trouble keeping the Many Glacier one running ... I think all the winter wind was part of the problem, but I'm not sure. They replaced the whole thing at least once before giving up, and that might have been 5 or 6 years ago, now.

I can think of lots of great possible webcam sites in Glacier, but of course communications lines and electricity would be stumbling blocks. Personally, I want one in Polebridge! :)

mikie

Post by mikie »

If I recall the Many Glacier Cam was run over single-mode fiber. Direct Communications and electricity isn't really required. I believe that the Apgar Mtn cam uses satellite for communications and solar for power. When they first installed it the cost were about $50/month for the satellite. The cam at Apgar Mtn came from a company in California. Locations like Logan Pass would probably be unsuitable due to wind and snow. But, Polebridge, Bowman lake, and Kinta Lake would be excellent locations. Most satellites need a 28 degree angle clear line of sight to the sky to work.

pitamakan

Post by pitamakan »

Actually, Apgar Lookout is fully "on the grid." There's an underground cable carrying electric and communications lines up to the lookout area, roughly following the current hiking trail. (You can see occasional printed signs noting the cable's location along the trail.). The utilities are needed for the NPS communications transmitters on the mountain, as well as a commercial TV repeater that has its equipment in the lookout basement. The webcam was a side benefit of all that infrastructure.

scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

I want a Logan pass webcam

poky5mom
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by poky5mom »

scott-atl wrote:I want a Logan pass webcam
I would love that!!! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

BCD
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by BCD »

Yes, bring back the MG cam. It was the most spectacular. They can bag the HQ cam IMO