Earthquake

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Tara, Kathy

calicotraveler
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Earthquake

Post by calicotraveler »

I hear there was an earthquake in a small town northwest of Helena early this morning. 5.8 magnitude.
Any of you out there in Glacier feel it?

New from CNN below:
A 5.8 magnitude earthquake struck western Montana early Thursday, according to the US Geological Survey.

The earthquake was 13.6 kilometers (8.4 miles) in depth and was about 33 miles northwest of Helena, the capital, according to USGS. It struck about 7 miles southeast of Lincoln, which has a population of 1,013.
Residents as far as Spokane, Washington, and Seattle reportedly felt the first tremors shortly after midnight, according to CNN affiliate KRTV-TV. Several 911 call centers reported being swamped, but there was no early word of injuries or major structural damage, the station reported.
A series of aftershocks followed, with magnitudes ranging from 3.1 to 4.9, clustered near Lincoln.
The mountains are calling and I must go.

scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Earthquake

Post by scott-atl »

Did anyone feel it in the Park?

dpratt
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator
Gender?: Male

Re: Earthquake

Post by dpratt »

Slept right through it. Although my dog woke me up by barking less than 30 minutes after the reported time. He needed to go outside, which is odd that time of night (1:00am). Not sure if they are related.

Mixed reports here at work. Some didn't feel it, others experienced the whole thing. Beds shaking, etc.

EDIT - I'm not in the park, but about 20 miles NW of Whitefish.

Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

The earthquake awoke my wife and she heard the screens rattle. She said it sounded like a big wind coming up. I was next to her in bed and slept through it. We live just north of Choteau on the east side of the mountains about 70 miles south of Browning.

My daughter living in Shelby said she thought her bed was possessed. She felt the main quake and more than one aftershock.

Several friends in the area just west of Glacier felt the quake and several aftershocks as well.

Another friend in Bozeman reported felling it there as well.

The earthquake was 5.8 and centered just north of Lincoln MT. Lincoln is on MT 200 west of Great Falls and east of Missoula.

Here's a link to a more recent story on the quake:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... ium=social
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.

daveparker
Site Admin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

We felt it here at the house, Deb said the walls are moving and I was in the restroom and the shower doors were rattling, for quite a while. We used to feel them all the time when we lived in Hawaii, but have not experienced many of them here in Montana, but this one was a pretty strong one and it lasted quite a while, didn't do any damage here, but it was interesting.

scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

Heard from my nephew who's at my cabin and my neighbors and they felt nothing on the eastside but were asleep

dpratt
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by dpratt »

FYI - There were two topics on the Earthquake, so I combined them to keep things tidy. Posts from each are displayed in chronological order in the merged topic.

Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

scott-atl wrote:Heard from my nephew who's at my cabin and my neighbors and they felt nothing on the eastside but were asleep
Susan Higgins of the Two Sisters felt the tremor last night. That's not far from your cabin.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.

teapot57

Post by teapot57 »

I was in East Glacier last night and slept right through it. I did hear from others at the Park that felt it.

Wen

Post by Wen »

We were at St. Mary campground that night. I felt three shakes, and told my husband. He grabbed the bear spay next to him. Next day, we heard another hiker said there was earthquake last night.