Glacier shatters June attendance record

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Tara, Kathy

here-we-go

Re: Glacier shatters June attendance record

Post by here-we-go »

Thanks so much!

I do follow the park on twitter and have been monitoring the times just to get an idea (we'll be there Aug 5-11).

We really don't have any other plans for the day we cross GTTSR (Village Inn at Apgar to Swiftcurrent Inn) so we can be patient that day, but would prefer to hike Hidden Lake that day. We do have plans for the following days so we'll just make it work one way or another.

Odds are we'll just pack breakfast and get up early enough for it to be a non issue. I'm presuming if we depart Village Inn by 7:30, most days that would get us to Logan Pass before if fills.

here-we-go

Post by here-we-go »

PeteE wrote:
Ask away if more questions.

pete :wink:
Thanks so much. I really think we'll avoid it by being up early. We've been the type to get up early and then take a late afternoon nap if that's required. In Yellowstone a few years ago we were repeatedly up and out before 6am and stopped for breakfast a few hours later having seen tons of animals and very few cars, even when it's peak Yellowstone visitation. Like you, when people have asked me for yellowstone advice, my first 2 suggestions are get up and out early no matter where you are (and stay "in park" if possible).

I'm out of state helping my 89 yo mom after a health setback, by the time I get back at the end of the week I'll be 3 weeks out. Which seems crazy we're finally this close.

ND
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by ND »

I hate these visitation records! :roll: Can't people just go to Yellowstone like usual! 8) I blame everyone on this chat page for bragging up GNP way too much! :lol:

scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

Interesting to read about the crowds. My son and young family got out there today. Made it over to the eastside w/out a problem. Long trip w a 3 and 1 yr old from ATL. I'll be back last half sept. Have fun y'all.

brindledog
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by brindledog »

I wonder if Xanterra has brought more crowds just because a lot of people look and see Glacier as a park now when they look at Yellowstone, Zion, Grand Canyon, etc., where they would not have seen it before.

We have been to Glacier every year since 2005, and last year was the first year we did not have Hidden Lake pretty much to ourselves to picnic, fish and relax. In the past, we've done the hike in the later afternoon and there have been a couple fishermen at the shoreline, but not much else (other than goats). Last year, it was like a Spring Break movie. People were yelling/screaming/cursing, splashing into the water. Someone brought a drone and flew it all around the lake. It made me a little bit sad. I suppose everyone has the right to enjoy the park, but it took away from my enjoyment quite a bit.

I attributed the crowds to the National Park Centennial, but maybe it's just the new normal. We may pass on that hike this year.

paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

I think Xanterra might have something to do with it. But I think the biggest contributor to visitor growth is social media. Not so much this chat page but facebook, twitter, instagram and a few other sites really get the word out. More visitors come and then feed into the social media frenzy. Unfortunately, I think this is the new norm.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir

PeteE

Post by PeteE »

brindledog wrote:...People were yelling/screaming/cursing, splashing into the water. Someone brought a drone and flew it all around the lake. It made me a little bit sad. I suppose everyone has the right to enjoy the park, but it took away from my enjoyment quite a bit.
... but maybe it's just the new normal.
The "New Normal"...Yeah, I'm afraid you're right.
And more and more people don't give a rat's patootie about rules, e.g. flying drones(illegal in GNP)
Same with dogs. What is it about "dog" people and their %#@&% dogs??
Three times already this year I have seen people taking dogs on trails this year...Lunch Creek, and Avalanche twice.
It seems the "new normal" includes the almighty right to take you stinking dog everywhere....restaurants, grocery stores.
It's disgusting.

Children running and screaming with no regard for other visitors. Parents, seemingly oblivious just don't care.
Ignoring the signs at Logan Pass, walking off the boardwalk, trampling flowers.

And people wonder why I get up before dawn to go hike. 8)
Well, at least I get to drive with little or no traffic, enjoy the sunrise in peace, and start my hikes before the hoards descend on the trails.

Oh, and when driving up the Going to the Sun Road on the West Side, please keep your vehicle on your side of the double yellow line
I get to drive in peace going to the park. Not so much going back home.
Depending on when I drive home, it's a scary drive coming back down the hill.
You people that drive big rigs with "extended mirrors", pull the bloody mirrors back when you drive the Sun Road.

Cheers and have a great vacation. :D

pete :wink:

PS EDIT ADD:

"Social Media" the latest "oxymoron". 8)
There's nothing "social" about Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
Last edited by PeteE on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

teapot57

Post by teapot57 »

I blame it on social media. There are so many photos of the Park on Instagram, Facebook, etc. that it's become free advertising. People are seeing these images showing the beauty of the Park and the exposure is drawing more crowds.

* Edit: oops . . . Paul and I posted at the same time. Great minds think alike! :D

indiana hiker

Post by indiana hiker »

It seems like telling everyone to get out early is working. The parking lot at Logan looks full at 9 a.m. We will all have to take after Pete and leave for the park before sun up! Pete, I totally agree with you about people doing anything they want (dogs, hiking where signs are posted to stay off vegetation, etc). It seems no one is thinking of anyone but themselves these days. I have said things to people about hiking off trail where it is posted not to, throwing cigarette butts and picking wildflowers. They look at me like I'm the one doing something wrong.

Pizza Bob

Post by Pizza Bob »

http://flatheadbeacon.com/2017/07/12/pa ... roblems-2/

8:28 a.m. A family with a motor home pulled into West Glacier, took up “20” parking spaces and decided to explore Glacier National Park, much to the dismay of everyone else looking for a parking spot in West Glacier.

Perhaps we need a new topic of just "Stoopid Tourist Tricks" we have personally witnessed,
just to blow off steam. Yes the park is getting busier, and some of the visitors are out of their
environment and ignorant of the great outdoors -- that 5% that you remember because they so
blatantly believe rules only apply to others. Be sure to report and mention them to
the rangers, since the more data they have allows them to take better corrective actions
(more signs, more roped off areas, more guided hikes, more funding for more rangers). They
cannot address problems if they do not know about them.

Like the big red truck pulling the giant RV trailer down Sun road last Thursday night about 10pm -- I was
sorely tempted to pull out my satellite phone and text the rangers to alert them about this
"rules only apply to others" idiot.
You can always earn more money, but you can't earn more time

dpratt
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by dpratt »

Large crowds bring with them additional diversity. I'm not talking about race or religion. I'm talking about diversity of upbringings, morals, character, etc. Unfortunately the ones with a lack of the second two get the limelight. I'd like to believe that the majority of visitors obey the rules. They are considerate pet owners. They don't blatantly disregard rules or take up too much of the road. There are just a proportional amount more of the ignorant ones to deal with. Heck, I see it during my commute during the summer and I'm an hour from the park and don't even pass through any towns.

That being stated, these crowds are exactly why most locals avoid the park during peak season. Unfortunately that season has been extending lately. Used to be that I could almost have the park to myself before mid-June and after Labor Day. Not so much anymore.

The one thing Yellowstone has going for it is that you get far enough off the road, you have the place almost to yourself. At least that has been my experience.

dpratt
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by dpratt »

Pizza Bob wrote:Perhaps we need a new topic of just "Stoopid Tourist Tricks" we have personally witnessed,
just to blow off steam.
I think that could be a fun topic. I'll start one. Great idea!

Supersonic_Blimp

Post by Supersonic_Blimp »

With the attendance being quite high-- has anyone had much experience with the shuttles at all and if they're filling to capacity?

Working out some transfers on shuttles to do Gunsight and wondering if I need to take in to account not being able to get on shuttles with so many people.

PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Supersonic_Blimp wrote:With the attendance being quite high-- has anyone had much experience with the shuttles at all and if they're filling to capacity?

I haven't ridden the shuttles this year, but I've been "watching" the lines on the West side. Friday when I came down the hill at 6PM there were 20+ waiting for a down hill shuttle at the Loop. None in line for uphill to Logan Pass. The East side shuttles are large buses and run pretty well on schedule to Logan. So if you're going to Jackson Overlook from St Mary, you'll have no problem.
If however, you are leaving Apgar for Jackson Overlook for a morning start, you want to be in line for the "Express shuttle" to Logan Pass to transfer to an East bound shuttle to Jackson Overlook. You will get there quicker.
Don't board a BIG bus at Apgar because those have to turn back at Avalanche. The transfers will delay you.
If you get the first express shuttle out of Apgar, you should make Jackson Overlook 90-120 minutes if the traffic isn't bad by 0700 AND you don't get held up long at the construction sites if on a week day.
At 0500 with no traffic and no construction delays, it takes me about 50 minutes to drive non stop from the Apgar visitor to Logan Pass.
The shuttle vans will never match that. I don't waste time at that hour 8)
It's then another 10 minutes or so to Jackson Overlook from Logan Pass.
This is at 0500.
You can probably figure on 90+ minutes shuttling from Apgar to Jackson Overlook.
Bottom line?
Be early in line. :)

Working out some transfers on shuttles to do Gunsight and wondering if I need to take in to account not being able to get on shuttles with so many people.
EDIT ADD
From GNP website

West Side Service

Apgar Visitor Center to Logan Pass
Shuttles every 15-30 minutes
Apgar Visitor Center to Logan Pass is approximately 1½ to 2 hours

Express Service
Apgar Visitor Center to Logan Pass with stop at The Loop upon request
up to 15 passengers
7:00 am, 7:05 am, 7:18 am, 7:23 am and 7:36 am
Last edited by PeteE on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

indiana hiker wrote: Pete, I totally agree with you about people doing anything they want (dogs, hiking where signs are posted to stay off vegetation, etc). It seems no one is thinking of anyone but themselves these days. I have said things to people about hiking off trail where it is posted not to, throwing cigarette butts and picking wildflowers. They look at me like I'm the one doing something wrong.
I find people get offended if I say something. A couple weeks ago, I asked a man if he could control his dogs (which were unleashed as I ran by on a trail). He started yelling and cursing at me.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir