Smoke?

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Tara, Kathy

jamesdak
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Smoke?

Post by jamesdak »

It's killing me to see this. Supposed to head up Saturday but now I'm not sure. I was there in 2015 and even though I was staying out at Johnson's I had to leave early because I just can't breathe in the smoke. Just had a bad asthma attack bike riding Tuesday. Such a hard decision whether to come or not. Seems like the fire took off again today.... :(

scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

Easy decision. Don't go.

jamesdak
Donator
Donator

Post by jamesdak »

scott-atl wrote:Easy decision. Don't go.

LOL, not at all. I love that place and missed the "annual" trip last year. I've going into withdrawals and need my fix.

daveparker
Site Admin

Post by daveparker »

Sorry to say, I have not seen it this smokey since 2003, it is pretty bad this year and I as well as others don't expect it to get much better anytime soon, sadly, I have had to keep an inhaler with me all of the time that last couple of weeks, which is not normal.

If you have breathing difficulties at all, I would recommend weighing the risks vs the benefits this year. I don't expect it will get better until the snow flies and with the new long range outlook they posted today, I don't believe that is going to be anytime soon.

:?

danlowery

Post by danlowery »

Sad and disappointed. Wife and I were supposed to fly out Monday and come back Sunday. Considering cancelling our trip. Webcams have shown a lot of smoke all over but usually clearer in mg and two mrs areas. Can anyone offer insight into those areas and smoke density? What should I look for weather forecast wise (wind direction??) to help me make a decision?

Thanks
Dan

dpratt
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by dpratt »

daveparker wrote:Sorry to say, I have not seen it this smokey since 2003, it is pretty bad this year and I as well as others don't expect it to get much better anytime soon, sadly, I have had to keep an inhaler with me all of the time that last couple of weeks, which is not normal.

If you have breathing difficulties at all, I would recommend weighing the risks vs the benefits this year. I don't expect it will get better until the snow flies and with the new long range outlook they posted today, I don't believe that is going to be anytime soon.

:?
When I moved out here I stopped using my asthma maintenance medication and very rarely have to use my rescue inhaler (a couple of times per year). The last month I've had to use it several times. Some days the smoke is bad enough that it burns the eyes a bit.

As Dave pointed out, the long term forecast doesn't bode well for conditions to improve.

jamesdak
Donator
Donator

Post by jamesdak »

Thanks for the insight guys. As much as I hated to I canceled and rebooked for next year. Two years without my fix....

It'll be a staycation next week I guess. Good thing I live in a place called Eden.

I'll have to just play in this spot a few minutes from the house. Not the same as Glacier but not too shabby either.

No grizzlies though, sigh.....

PeteE

Post by PeteE »

James:

You should come back in early October if the fires are down by then.
It's a great time to photo animals as I'm sure you know.
I'm going to try to get up to Logan Pass this Fall. I want to see the Big Horns bash horns if possible.
Park at Jackson Overlook and hike/bike to Logan Pass or Siyeh bend. If snow allows hike up Piegan Pass trail, etc.

For now, I'm headed to Many Glacier this morning to camp and hike with Todd(Toddnick). We'll also be hiking with new member Catmorell
8)

pete :wink:
"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

dpratt
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by dpratt »

This afternoon and tonight the smoke was horrible, followed by what I can only describe as an ash storm. Ash is falling here so heavily right now that it looks like a pretty good snow storm. It is a pretty unnerving sight. I'm assuming it is coming from the fires either around Libby or Eureka, but I'm only guessing.

PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Here are a few pictures from Tuesday, Sept 5, driving back from Many Glacier.
The smoke cleared out nicely on most of the East side with the front passage Sunday night.
Nobody knows for how long.
Over here on the West side the smoke is still pretty bad as you'll see in last two pics.

EDIT ADD at noon 9/6
Visibility, not surprisingly, is worse today.
On US2 near the airport it's under 1.5 miles :evil:

Taken around 0630 leaving MG

Reservoir

St Mary

Rising Sun

Looking up Cut Bank Creek valley

Looking West into Two Med are from MT49(Looking Glass Highway

Looking East towards the great Plains from Highway 49

Looking North from Highway 49

These two pics are from Braig Road just East of Whitefish on September 5 afternoon on the way home from work
Whitefish Mountains are only 6 miles behind this farm house.

Taken from same spot looking West

George Carlin

rsa

Post by rsa »

Thanks for the updates!
Heading out with a group of friends on Saturday for 8 days. Really concerned about the smoke as photography is a priority.

Rich :D

here-we-go

Post by here-we-go »

I don't have advice for you (not local, not expert), but here's a website that has a few maps you may want to review with larger scale maps.

http://wildfiretoday.com/2017/09/05/wil ... er-5-2017/

It's got graphics, satellite maps, etc.

PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Too early to say yet. Go to my thread Snaps Around Glacier and look at my(or anyone's pics from then) pics from the east side taken around June 4-5.
Then look at recent pics I took above.
Might help you judge how images may look
Most people I know say it take a good snow storm to end/knock considerably. I agree FWIW.

http://www.glacier.nationalparkschat.co ... 0&start=60

George Carlin

PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Video and pictures from around West Glacier this afternoon, September 6.
http://www.glacier.nationalparkschat.co ... 26#p103626

George Carlin

here-we-go

Post by here-we-go »

The webcams today look awful -- everywhere . I feel so bad for the local people dealing with smoke and terrible for those visiting.

:(