Best trails near Logans Pass and Trekking Buddies

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Tara, Kathy

toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Best trails near Logans Pass and Trekking Buddies

Post by toddnick »

I'd do Highline to Loop on Sunday as the shuttle is still running (9/4 is the last official day of the shuttle which is why I put Siyeh Loop on that day)...

I'd do Avalanche Lake and then head to Polebridge/Bowman Lake to check out that area of the Park on Tuesday...

Then spend the day at Many Glacier on Wednesday...

I am expecting smoke to be an issue for the next week or more (some days will probably be better than others depending on wind conditions and such)...

What is it they say, expect the worst and hope for the best...

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by PeteE »

Catmorell wrote:Ha! Yeah thanks for planning Pete and Todd. LOL If I don't have to drive I am IN! I am staying at the Belton Chalet. Will be easy to meet you at the Apgar entrance on the 4th at 5:30 am! You can drive and I will sit back and enjoy the views....if I understand the plans correctly!
Yup! Thats right except I'll pick you up at Belton Chalet at 0530. Gotta drive right past it anyway.

So now that Monday is all figured out, I am still thinking about the other days. Firebrand Pass on Sunday with Glacier Guides is still not sounding very appealing. If the only good "views" are from the pass then it doesn't seem worth the long day. I may use Sunday instead to do either Hidden Lake, Avalanche Creek or the Highline. Hidden Lake and Avalanche Creek are a bit too close to the fire and so I am worried about visibility. Also, it is still the weekend and I know those trails may be crowded. The Highline will be crowded too on Sunday, but I have to do that trail as it is considered one of the best in the park, and the smoke should not affect it. I don't want to do any major driving on Sunday (as in going to Many Glacier) as I arrive technically at 3 am my time Sunday morning. Will be sleeping as best I can and getting only a few hours sleep that night before getting up to do my first day's trek in the park. Don't want to push it by driving 2.5 hours Sunday. So Sunday is still up in the air.

Monday is all set!

Tuesday can be for one of the hikes I don't do on Sunday (either Hidden Lake, Avalanche Trail, or Highline).

Wednesday, my last day I will spend the time to drive to Many Glacier to do Grinnell.

How does this sound peeps!? Thoughts and suggestions very welcome!
Regarding Sunday. I would suggest that you sleep in/relax/rest up until late morning. Then maybe I could pick you up again and we could drive the Going tothe Sun Road...ultimately ending at Logan pass. We may have park elsewhere and shuttle to Logan pass, but that will be ok. Once at the pass we can do Hidden Lake or walk out the Reynolds mountaineering trail to get away from the crowds. The trail is good and 99% of the people never go out there. It wont be difficult hiking and maybe 6-7 miles tops.
It'll be a nice "warm up" for Monday's hike.
Just a thought for Sunday.
Wednesday sounds good for you to do Grinnell glacier. Good choice for a last day.
Tuesday i gotta think about. The Highline would be great but gotta check on shuttle still available at the Loop for transport back to Logan Pass.

later

pete :wink:

Ok. The Highline is off for Tuesday.
No shuttle.
The smoke may still be an issue next week. Id stay away from the West Side including the North Fork. If thats the case, then maybe drive to Two Medicine via US2 and do Scenic Point. Two Med is an easy 90 minutes or so from Belton Chalet. US2 is scenic drive and 70mph speed limit.
I suggest that area as it "might" be less smokey in that area of the park. Thats a guess. Maybe someone here has up to date info.
Or maybe do Firebrand pass instead. The trail head is less than an hour via US2 from Belton.
"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Sorry for the crappy posting technique. Im on my phone.
Sunday, if i read you right, should be a lighter day since you dont arrive until 3am. Thats why i suggested what i did for Sunday

George Carlin

Catmorell
Gender?: Female

Post by Catmorell »

Ok so how about this idea. On Sunday, my first day when I hopefully won't be a walking zombie, I could do Piegan Pass, and avoid the crowds at both Avalanche and Hidden Lake. My only question is, isn't the beginning portion of this trail the same as Siyeh Pass? If so, how much of it is the same and are these two trails so ultimately different that it wouldn't matter? Also, I heard it is about a 4 hour round trip hike? True?

Catmorell

Post by Catmorell »

Hey you guys, I kept refreshing the page but didn't see your posts for some reason until after I posted my last post.......if that makes sense. LOL I will examine all of this new information! Yes to 5:30 pick up at Belton Pete!

toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

It is 4.5 miles to Piegan Pass from Siyeh Bend, so a 9 mile out and back (with 1,700 feet of gain/loss); the first 2.5 miles (and last 2.5 miles) are the same as the Siyeh Loop Trail.

toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

Catherine,

Another option,

I am already planning on doing Firebrand Pass on 9/6 (Wednesday) as that is my moving day from MG Campground to Two Med Campground; you could join me on that...
I had also planned on doing Lee Ridge/Gable Pass on 9/5 and Grinnell Glacier on 9/12...but I could swap those 2 days and hit Grinnell Glacier with you on 9/5 (Tuesday)...

Catmorell

Post by Catmorell »

Give me some time to take in all these suggestions guys. Also, I called the main office and found out that they are extending shuttle service through late September due to so many people visiting the park. Express shuttle from Apgar to Logans ends on the 4th, the 4th being the last day. But again regular shuttle continues!

PeteE

Post by PeteE »

toddnick wrote:Catherine,

Another option,

I am already planning on doing Firebrand Pass on 9/6 (Wednesday) as that is my moving day from MG Campground to Two Med Campground; you could join me on that...
I had also planned on doing Lee Ridge/Gable Pass on 9/5 and Grinnell Glacier on 9/12...but I could swap those 2 days and hit Grinnell Glacier with you on 9/5 (Tuesday)...
Catherine:
That's a really nice offer from Todd.
I would give it serious consideration.
I have hiked with Todd, his Mom, and family. You'll have fun.
Plus Todd KNOWS these hikes as well, or better than anyone I know here.

The Highline, while an iconic hike, is likely to be pretty smokey into next week.
I did it this past Saturday when the smoke wasn't as bad as now. I wasn't all that pretty.
Plus, you would have a shuttle issue after Monday.

Personally, I feel there are better hikes that you could do Sunday....
True, the first 2.8 miles of trail is common to both Siyeh and Piegan pass.
I've already been to that junction 6 times this season. I like that part of GNP. 8)
That said...

In my opinion...Both of the pass hikes really "begin" there at the junction---Preston Park lies just beyond the junction on the way to Siyeh pass.
We'll go that way Monday :)

The trail to Piegan pass breaks out of the trees soon after the junction.

It then traverses the huge head wall below Cataract Mt with a great look down at Siyeh Bend and beyond.
Great looks at Piegan and Pollock to the SW and Going To The Sun Mt and Matahpi to the SE...the ever present 10,000ft+ Mt Siyeh looming over all in the East.
Since you seem to be fit...after reaching Piegan Pass(~4.8 miles and maybe 2.5 hours), a natural place for a break and snack/lunch...

You can consider whether you want to continue on to the broad saddle between Pollock and Piegan mountains. That adds about 1.1 miles and about 900ft of elevation gain.
I''ve been to that saddle 3 times already this year. Takes me about 1 hour going up, less coming back. All firm terrain. No exposure or sketchy scree, etc.

Terrific views from there looking to the west at the Logan Pass area ~2000ft below.
I believe you would enjoy doing Piegan pass, and the "extension" to the Pollock-Piegan Pass... if you feel up to it.

One reason for this hike is there will almost certainly be less smoke to contend with over there east of the divide, as opposed to west of the divide on the Highline.
No worries about parking at Logan pass.

I can pick you up Sunday at 0530 and drive. I love driving that road so no problem.
You'll know it well when you drive it later 8)

We get an early start and get to the trail junction before the sun gets over Matahpi and it warms up.
And we'll get ahead of most people going out; have some peace and quiet for a little while.

Me and Todd will get you hooked on GNP. :mrgreen:
Save Hidden Lake, the Highline, and the other epic hikes for when conditions are better.

That's my "pitch" for Sunday's hike 8)
later

Taken from the goat trail on the way to the Pollock Piegan saddle.
Looking north towards Swiftcurrent/Many Glacier. Piegan Pass is in the lower right of the picture. The east side of the Garden Wall on the left of the picture.
The "pointy" mountain in the distance is Swiftcurrent peak if I'm not mistaken.
click it

Looking over towards Logan Pass from the Pollock-Piegan saddle
click it

George Carlin

Catmorell

Post by Catmorell »

More great information Pete! My only concern about meeting up with Todd on Tuesday for Grinnell Glacier is the drive. 2 hours to St Mary's from Apgar so I heard. Then to the trailhead is another 40 minutes I heard. Todd, would you be at St. Mary's so we could drive that bit together if this flies?

toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

Catherine,

It is your vacation, just wanted to throw an option out there for you...

Certainly, it wouldn't be a problem to pick you up at St. Mary as it is only 30 minutes from MG area and the trailhead for Grinnell Glacier...get an early start (sounds like you are up for that based on Mondays early start with Pete)....

Maybe meet at Park Cafe in St. Mary, just past the East entrance...drive past the visitors center and out of the Park...at first intersection turn left and Park Cafe is like 100 yards up on your left...

If you were interested, say pick you up at 7:30 to get ahead of a lot of the people on the trail by starting hike at 8?

Also, if you start that early, it should be less than 2 hours to get from Apgar to Park Cafe with no traffic on GTTS road...maybe an hour and 40 or 45 minutes...

Grinnell Glacier is 10.5 miles round trip (just like Siyeh Loop) but with 1,700 feet of gain vs. 2,300 for Siyeh Pass...

You really do need to hit Many Glacier at some point on Tuesday or Wednesday, most would agree it is the most scenic area in the Park, a long way from the fire, has great trails and a visit to MG Hotel is a must...it is about half a mile from Grinnell Glacier trailhead...

Catmorell

Post by Catmorell »

How many hours would you say it takes to complete Grinnell?

toddnick
Donator
Donator

Post by toddnick »

If you are a pretty strong hiker, and it sounds like you are if you are planning to do Siyeh Loop...Id say 4.5 to 5 hours...though I can do it in 3.5 hours solo, no problem...I can move along when hiking solo...but often go slower with family or other chatters..

Catmorell

Post by Catmorell »

LOL. I try not to chat too much when on breathtakingly beautiful trails so no worries there!

Catmorell

Post by Catmorell »

Hey Pete, a few thoughts about Sunday. As I said, my flight arrives at 12:15 am (3:15 am my time). I am staying the first night in Columbia Falls. There is no way in hell I can be up and over to Apgar by 5:30 am. However, if you are willing to meet me a few hours later I would be up for whatever seems good for an easy hike that day. Based on the info you posted, anything to avoid smoke and crowds.....sounds like a movie..........a crowded, smoke filled room........Give me those options again with a much later start. Still thinking on everything but hope to have plans firmed up soon.