Lake McDonald Lodge closing

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Tara, Kathy

rayeraye
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Lake McDonald Lodge closing

Post by rayeraye »

LML closing a month early. I am shocked by this and sad for the people who have reservations there.

http://flatheadbeacon.com/2017/08/29/la ... ire-smoke/

here-we-go

Re: Lake McDonald Lodge closing

Post by here-we-go »

Wow!

toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

I wonder if they will close Sprague Creek Campground or Avalanche Campground...

I saw that St. Mary Campground is only open for hard-sided vehicles...

Camping situation could get tight for early September...

Thankfully, the camping occupancy across the park has decreased significantly the last few weeks (based on fill times at all the campgrounds)...

llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Hungry Horse News article on the fire. Note that the DeSmet (tour boat) still operates:

http://www.hungryhorsenews.com/article/ ... /170839999

here-we-go

Post by here-we-go »

From that article:
“They were pleasant and handled it very well,” he said. They even found him and his wife a room at hotel at the south end of Glacier.

That reminded me, the 2 ladies who were planning a multi-night stay at Sperry (it was at least 2 nights, but wouldn't be surprised if it was more) hiked out due to the fire having stayed only 1 night (and leaving their bags because they'd had duffles carried up with the mules). They asked if they could get some assistance in getting lodging since they would be spending most of the day hiking and got no for an answer. That seemed a little bogus to me. It seems like someone could have *tried* to help them at the Chalet office given that she was going to be hiking all day.

One of them (the one with the 7 month old knee replacement) rode down from Logan Pass with us but she was going to have to wait for her friend due to the shuttle being full (they insisted we go since they knew we had the long drive). AND we got lucky because the West Side Shuttle driver was on her last run so she was going to continue all the way to Apgar, which prevented us from having to switch again at Avalanche....her friend might not have been so lucky. Perhaps she would have been able to use that time to go into the Lodge to ask for help in getting a room somewhere or using a phone at least, but it was almost 6pm that day and they were just starting that process.