Andy Anderson (Hockey Ref) Day on Glacier Chat

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Tara, Kathy

DayTripper
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Andy Anderson (Hockey Ref) Day on Glacier Chat

Post by DayTripper »

Hello All Chatters,

I propose Sept 29th be proclaimed Hockey Ref Day. Today would have been Andy Anderson's 64th birthday, he departed this world all to soon a little over three years ago, and is dearly missed by many on this forum. In dedication, and memory, of Mr. Anderson let us all add a ceremonial rock to the large cairn at Swiftcurrent Pass.

We miss you Hockey Ref
Regards,
DayTripper

brindledog
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Re: Andy Anderson (Hockey Ref) Day on Glacier Chat

Post by brindledog »

I think that's an outstanding idea.

tibber

Post by tibber »

:D Hockey Ref Day!

davidwayne

Post by davidwayne »

The webcams showed this to be a picture perfect day in the park...fitting! I still think about Andy.

teapot57

Post by teapot57 »

Happy heavenly birthday to Andy. I always leave two rocks at every cairn I pass. This past summer I left one for him at Piegan Pass, Grinnell Glacier, Dawson Pass, and Scenic Point.

tibber

Post by tibber »

teapot57 wrote:Happy heavenly birthday to Andy. I always leave two rocks at every cairn I pass. This past summer I left one for him at Piegan Pass, Grinnell Glacier, Dawson Pass, and Scenic Point.
that's so nice and thoughtful.

Selkie
Donator
Donator

Post by Selkie »

Adding rocks to existing cairns (assuming they are cairns) bears a little extra thought.

An unattractive pile of rocks is not a cairn any more than it is a stone wall.
Most cairns, especially those constructed by trained trail crews, are built carefully and with technique, to provide guidance and resist various forces (gravity, storms) for a long time.

I have found a few unsourced statements online along these lines:
Building cairns has become such a popular activity that Parks Canada, the National Park Service, and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) all have regulations or policies that discourage or prohibit it.
Mountain Books has a similar statement on its web page.

I am unsure how adding rocks to more rocks actually honors Andy's memory, though the person contributing another rock might feel joy in the moment. That is a valid feeling.
Humans also like to construct things.

But if the potential effect of all those extra rocks piled up over the next 20 years, say, gives you pause, then the door opens to a different way to honor Andy's memory.

PeteE

Post by PeteE »

RIP Andy. I haven't forgotten our ShangriLa hike July 30 2013. :D

Next time I go over Swiftcurrent Pass I'm going to put two rocks on the cairn in your memory.
If the National Park Service wants to issue an arrest warrant for that action, I'll happily appear in Federal District Court. 8)

pete :wink:

PS to Andy
Hope you don't mind that I "scratched" that rock I put on the cairn with my carbide tipped hiking pole! :mrgreen:
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

Truth

Post by Truth »

I knew Andy, and I know that he would have been greatly saddened by pete’s post. He loved Glacier dearly, and the last thing he would want is for his memory to be “honored” by an act that is generally seen as being disrespectful to one of his favorite spots on earth.

Respect in general doesn’t seem to be a part of the chat anymore, though, and that would have saddened him, too.

PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Truth wrote:I knew Andy, and I know that he would have been greatly saddened by pete’s post. He loved Glacier dearly, and the last thing he would want is for his memory to be “honored” by an act that is generally seen as being disrespectful to one of his favorite spots on earth.

Respect in general doesn’t seem to be a part of the chat anymore, though, and that would have saddened him, too.
That may come as a surprise to Andy.
This is the last paragraph of Andy's last post on this forum

http://www.glacier.nationalparkschat.co ... 543#p89543
Hockeyref wrote:With that, I'll say so long. May your hikes be filled with scenic wonders and your feet remain dry and blissfully blister-free. And the next time you reach a cairn at the top of a pass, particularly if it's Swiftcurrent Pass, please toss a stone on top for me as well. I'd appreciate it!

Happy trails!

Paul (Andy) Anderson (Hockey Ref)

George Carlin

Truth

Post by Truth »

Do you think Andy would have ever suggested that if he understood that it was considered an act of vandalism? If you do, then the Andy you apparently met is not the one that I knew.

PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Truth wrote:Do you think Andy would have ever suggested that if he understood that it was considered an act of vandalism? If you do, then the Andy you apparently met is not the one that I knew.
The Andy I knew was a pretty savvy guy when it came to things Glacier.
I'll let Andy's own words speak for themselves.

pete :wink:

George Carlin

dpratt
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by dpratt »

Truth, welcome to the chat. I hope you find this forum helpful. Lots of great folks here that know a ton about the park.

Let's not turn a respectful topic into mud slinging. It does nothing for the memory of Andy.

daveparker
Site Admin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by daveparker »

Well I knew Any for a long time and a tear still comes to my eyes when this subject comes up. Please keep on the good side. We all like to think we knew Andy, but as with all things we all have a special and quiet side to ourselves. Keep it simply and keep it real, please. Andy was a big part of this system and he would not want to see any bickering going on for him or in his name. He is simply one of those friends we have lost and one we miss dearly.

:)

davidwayne

Post by davidwayne »

Adding rocks to existing cairns somehow detracts from their 'original' purpose of directing hikers??? We are not talking about an engineered structure to direct hikers in some life or death trek that relies on a pile of rocks to ensure a safe return. Give me a break! Next time I am in GNP, I will pile as many rocks as possible on cairns I encounter in Andy's memory.