Andy Anderson (Hockey Ref) Day on Glacier Chat

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Tara, Kathy

DayTripper
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Andy Anderson (Hockey Ref) Day on Glacier Chat

Post by DayTripper »

Dear Chatters,

Please forgive me if I have caused any disrespect towards Mr. Anderson, or The National Park Service, with my suggestion of adding a cairn to the Swiftcurrent Pass. I simply was trying to honor the legacy of one of this forums prime contributors from the past. I learned a great deal from Hockey Ref's posts here, and that helped me enjoy the park that much more. My suggestion of adding a "ceremonial" rock to the cairn at the pass was meant to be a figurative action, not one of actuality. I apologize for any miss communication. Thank you to Pete, Dave Parker, davidwayne, and others who have supported my efforts quietly on the side lines. This truly is a magnificently positive forum which highlights Glacier National Park.

Regards,
DayTripper

PeteE

Post by PeteE »

DayTripper wrote:Dear Chatters,

Please forgive me if I have caused any disrespect towards Mr. Anderson, or The National Park Service, with my suggestion of adding a cairn to the Swiftcurrent Pass. I simply was trying to honor the legacy of one of this forums prime contributors from the past. I learned a great deal from Hockey Ref's posts here, and that helped me enjoy the park that much more. My suggestion of adding a "ceremonial" rock to the cairn at the pass was meant to be a figurative action, not one of actuality. I apologize for any miss communication. Thank you to Pete, Dave Parker, davidwayne, and others who have supported my efforts quietly on the side lines. This truly is a magnificently positive forum which highlights Glacier National Park.

Regards,
DayTripper
There was nothing disrespectful at all in your original post.
And frankly, you needn't be apologizing to anyone for it.
The idea of Andy's birthday being celebrated was/is a great one.
I'm going to put a "real stone" on that Swiftcurrent cairn as long as I can still make it up there.
All this nonsense about "cairn building" being allegedly against the "rules" was the only disrespectful, actually disgraceful, part of this thread.
If people want to argue about the building of cairns, then they should do so in the Hiking Forum, not here.
Selkie and Truth should be ashamed for bringing the subject of cairns up.

pete :wink:

IndianaTom

Post by IndianaTom »

I never met Andy, but I read many of his posts. I live only 60 miles north of where he called home. This year I got to Swiftcurrent for the first time with my wife and good friend while hiking the Hockey Ref. I explained to them we needed to add a rock in honor of the guy who's name the trip bears. I was excited to finally get the chance to honor his contributions to this forum and the park itself.

sue
Gender?: Female

Post by sue »

Dear Chatters,

Pete is right on with his comments on this topic. Hockey Ref's last words posted on this forum truly represent HIS wishes. Please respect that!

Sue and Paul from Indiana!

scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Post by scott-atl »

This objection is so lame. Get a life.