Blogs

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Blogs

Postby Selkie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:08 am

Perhaps the Chat site could add a new section, "Blogs," to link to blog posts or photo albums maintained [that Chatters maintain] on other sites.

That would make it easier to follow the adventures of DaveC or the Babb fireman-photographer, for example, if they wished to link, and also easier to re-read the links already provided in Trip Reports without scrolling back through months to years of reports to find them.

It would also make it possible to move daily Glacier perambulation accounts one click away, and thus reduce the pressure of individual dominant voice(s) on the Chat. It would be great to read, or at least have access to, a range of voices, experiences, and photographic diaries. They don't have to be on the main forums.

Edit to add: how it would work:
On the main TR forum: "I biked from West Glacier to Logan Pass this morning. [Picture] It was warm and got warmer, but I avoided most of the traffic. There is still some snow in the parking lot at Logan Pass. Full report and more pictures are on my blog [link].
Selkie
Donator
Donator

Re: Blogs

Postby daveparker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Actually after this last year, I am really just thinking about shutting it down, or selling it to the next interested ambitious individual who wishes to take it into the future.

I am just thinking after all of these years it might be time for me to move on to other adventures.

:roll:
daveparker
Site Admin

Postby Selkie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:32 pm

I am sorry to hear that, Dave, but recognize you have put in a good long stint managing the Chat, on top of other events in your personal life. I am grateful for what you have done and for the friendships made through the site.

Of the few participatory sites I have affiliated with, 10 years seems to be the point at which the founder is ready to move on. So you are overdue for a Champagne party with all the fixin's.
Selkie
Donator
Donator

Postby TnTammy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:10 pm

daveparker wrote:Actually after this last year, I am really just thinking about shutting it down, or selling it to the next interested ambitious individual who wishes to take it into the future.

I am just thinking after all of these years it might be time for me to move on to other adventures.

Dave,
I am so appreciative of your efforts for the Chat over the years. It has been a source of great enjoyment (not including the recent unpleasantness), information, and some cherished friendships. Your friendly Chat site has enriched many lives, and as others have mentioned, lets us stay connected to the Park that we love when we are not able to be there. While folks encounter struggles in their own lives (with work, health and family health), the Chat remains an escape to be amongst others who have wonderful stories and photos to share about this place of immense beauty and discovery. I enjoy just knowing that a repository of great trip reports is at my fingertips. I take for granted that Hockey Refs guide, Joybird’s solo jaunts, Jen’s amazing feats, Selkie’s wonderful suggestions, JayW’s humor, Ear Mountain’s wisdom, Teapot’s & Tibber’s enthusiasm, Lyman’s clarifications on the East Glacier laundromat and reminesces of Lk McD Lodge, Pete’s updates & chronicling of Bonnie & Clyde, Heff & MissG & Paul’s terrific backpacks and a host of incredible offerings from fine photographers, will always be there. I look forward to Toddnick’s hiking agenda each year, seeing which of the finest trails manages to make the cut on his roster, only to be amended a time or two. The Permit lottery just wouldn’t be the same without hearing the results of fellow Hopefuls that made their offerings to the Permit Gods. And I’ve yet to win that keg in the GTTS Road Contest. :wink:
Obviously, Chat’s meant a lot to me and to Mike and I just want to Thank You Dave!

Selkie, yet another great suggestion regarding Blogs. Thank you for all you contribute over these years!

Wishing Chat a long healthy life!
Tam
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Postby Jay w » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:18 pm

Well said Tam.

In order for a site like this to be interesting, it needs new content, and I think it needs discussions of the new content. There was a group a while back (Kathy, Tara, Farmgirl, Jen, Todd, Hockey Ref, Dorf, July Guy, plus others including some more modern contributors) that used to discuss things and put up trip reports. I think there was a core group of friends, and that helped fuel the discussions. Trip reports would be 5 pages long because of the back and forth. Lately, much of the new content has been put up by Pete, and while that's much appreciated, it's somewhat unhealthy for there to be one main contributor. dpratt and llholmes put up links to Glacier related articles, and of course others have contributed, but there is not a lot of discussion. (Feel free to correct me. Maybe I'm totally wrong.) It seems like a band playing in a bar, and no one claps or reacts when a tune ends. Hello, anyone out there? So I guess I'm saying there are a lot of lurkers and that doesn't make for a healthy forum.

I remember writing up trip reports and wondering why only a half dozen people were reading the report. (Those were the ones that responded.) Now I look back and the trip reports have 10,000 clicks. What the hell? I guess I'm saying that if everyone lurks, the site will die.

Jay

Next year will be a Glacier year. (I think it might be a little late this year.)

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby B2Randolph » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:36 pm

Dave, thank you, thank you, thank you for giving us this phenomenal chat room for so many years. I am sorry to see your earlier post. No one can give us what you have.

I am so disgusted that we have chatters who either never knew or who have forgotten the principles upon which this chat space was founded.

Most of us were not friends when we joined. Most of us had only one known thing in common - a love for Glacier National Park and a desire to share that love with each other. Yet we developed into a big, loving extended family. We enjoyed births, weddings and mourned with ND Jason and Hockey Ref's family. We spat but promptly made up. We shared and shared. We sent Christmas cards. We communicated with each other. For God's sake, there were even meet and greet parties held in Montana and other places and hikes were shared. We were respectful. WE CARED!

That a few bad apples have ruined this wonderful chat room upsets me very much.

Thank you, Dave, for allowing me to be a part of this wonderful group for so many years. Hopefully, we will have the pleasure of your company for many years to come. God bless.
B2Randolph
Donator
Donator

Postby ohioguy » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:37 pm

daveparker wrote:Actually after this last year, I am really just thinking about shutting it down, or selling it to the next interested ambitious individual who wishes to take it into the future.

That would be a sad day, I have learned so much from reading this site.
ohioguy

Postby Sue Z » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:20 am

Gigantic sad face emoji.

Gigantic thank you, too. I would have missed out on so many fabulous experiences without this amazing resource, and the sharing spirit of this community.
Sue Z
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Postby daveparker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:28 pm

Well we are still hanging around, I have been looking at some options to spruce the system up that will also make the back end part of it a little less. So for right now, no worries.

Thanks.

Dave
daveparker
Site Admin

Postby tibber » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:05 pm

that is such great news! :arrow:
tibber

Return to General Glacier Discussion