Lake McDonald Lodge--What's up?

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: Lake McDonald Lodge--What's up?

Postby teapot57 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:49 pm

No surprise to hear that Pete and PizzaBob were out there on Christmas Eve doing good deeds for strangers! I’m sure that couple really appreciated your efforts. And nice to hear that some Chatters got to spend time together at the holidays.

It’s awful cold here in Calgary. -5 Fahrenheit as I type.

Merry Christmas to all!

Tina
teapot57

Postby Jay w » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:09 pm

Warning, this is non-Glacier, but relates to cold weather.

This morning, it was -28F, and we decided to pick up some milk and take a few pictures. After running the car 5 or 10 min, we drove a couple miles, stopped to take a few pictures by a stream since it still has open water.

At -28, you don't take a lot of pictures, so it wasn't long and we were back in the car and it wouldn't start. No click, no nothing. The displays were very slow at changing during our drive, so the problem seemed electronic. Our conversation wasn't particularly polite.

You want to walk back?
No.
What do you want to do?
Walk up to the next house.
Then what?
Knock on the door.
Then what?
Call for a ride.
You think someone will be home....Let's just walk.
The next house is just up there.

Etc.

Meanwhile, I keep trying the starter. I let the car sit in "on" for a while hoping the electronics sense what they're supposed to sense or stop sensing what's wrong. The dash looked like the old Madem Lareau pinball machine, lights all over and I don't know what the lights mean since this is Julie's car. There was one troubling light that said, "Oil temp." Ten times (at least), no reaction from the starter.

One more try, I turn on the car and the oil temp light isn't there. "Here we go," and the car starts. No ehf'ing clue what was up, but I'm glad we weren't walkin' or more likely, knocking on doors. I blame it on modern electronics. My old 2005 would either start or give a good reason for not starting. "Dead battery dude." "Oil's too thick buddy." "My solenoid ain't what it used to be friend."

This afternoon I skied for a couple hours. -10F at the start and -5F at the end, but only 5 mph wind, so doable. (13 miles, 1500 feet of climbing. The skis were surprisingly fast in the couple inches of new snow.) Had the place almost to myself. Only 4 other skiers. :D

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby daveparker » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:59 pm

Jay,

Some of the newer cars actually have a small oil heater in them these days that will prevent that, I had to put one in my truck, but it was a factory option, but my truck was spec'd out for a warmer climate so they didn't put one in it, I have since put that factory option in and I have never had a cold weather starting problem since.
daveparker
Site Admin

Postby dpratt » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:31 am

Glad you got it started. Walking any distance in that kind of cold would not be fun and potentially deadly.
dpratt
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Postby Jay w » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:52 am

Dave,

I'm familiar with block heaters, but in this case, the engine had already been running and the engine temp was half way to normal before I shut off the car. We might have been taking pictures for 10 min (my hands were the limiting factor). My guess is that the electronics were too cold. E.g. when we changed the heater temp (for the cabin), the (LCD?) display took about 4 seconds to change. I have no idea how the electronics "reset" but maybe the car had to cool again before it would start. I'll have to talk with Subaru about this. A block heater on a timer in the garage might be a good idea, but we rarely see these kinds of temps back home, and the garage is probably always above 0F.

dpratt, we were mostly dressed for it, but I would have needed to put my hands in my pockets. (My ski gloves were not a match for this cold, and the mittens I had were not much better.) Julie would have needed some face coverage, but I think we could have figured that out. Also, we have an extra coat and a winter kit of candles, chocolate in the car, and the Capri Sun will take a hard freeze. Only -5 this morning.

Time for a ski.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby daveparker » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:57 pm

Jay,

I have block heaters and then on my pickups I also install the oil heaters, just on the off chance it gets that cold, no matter the rating on oil at -40 nothing flows. Normally the cold does not affect the actual electronic boards, but it does affect the LCD's which makes them slow until the liquid gets back up to tempeture, I don't leave GPS or phones in the cars around here during the winter, I have actually had it get so cold that I have cracked LCD's screens.

A couple of years ago, I left a phone in the car, my first smart phone and it had been below zero for a few days and I turned it on and tapped the screen and blamo, a big crack side to side.

Cold is not quite as much fun these days as it used to be when I was younger!

:shock:
daveparker
Site Admin

Postby PeteE » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:07 am

Happy New Year from Glacier National Park

Slide show link
https://www.flickr.com/photos/98975350@ ... 2161569577

The slide show is from yesterday afternoon. I couldn't go today. Gotta finish cleaning up snow at work.
Cheers

Pete :wink:
Last edited by PeteE on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
PeteE

Postby Marmotman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:11 pm

Nice shot of Clyde. We went skiing up the road from Lk.McD lodge on Christmas eve and Clyde was in the parking lot to greet us. He wouldn't get any closer than about 10 ft from me though.

Oh BTW, I confirmed the rocks were for Snyder Creek from a high up friend in the Park. They are worried increased runoff will jump the banks and head for the lodge.
Marmotman

Postby PeteE » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:22 am

Marmotman wrote:Nice shot of Clyde. We went skiing up the road from Lk.McD lodge on Christmas eve and Clyde was in the parking lot to greet us. He wouldn't get any closer than about 10 ft from me though.

Oh BTW, I confirmed the rocks were for Snyder Creek from a high up friend in the Park. They are worried increased runoff will jump the banks and head for the lodge.

Clyde("Charlie" to the Park Service people) is an "old dude" like me. He thinks he's a "greeter" like the old guys at Wally World. 8)

I hadn't given any thought to the spring run-off until those rocks showed up and people here said it was probably for flood control.
Way too early to know, but if we get even a "normal" snowpack this year, a rain storm in May could be ugly.

Thanks for the info!

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:55 am

We finally got a decent day and so I ran out to the park yesterday after work.
The road was pretty good so I managed to stay out of the ditch. 8)

Here are a few more "snaps" from the same familiar places at Lake McDonald.

pete
:wink:

Last edited by PeteE on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteE

Postby mattB » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:39 am

Gorgeous pics!! Thanks for the update, Pete!
mattB
Donator
Donator

Postby brindledog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Clyde is gorgeous. Poster-worthy!
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Postby teapot57 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks for the update, Pete. It was a beautiful sunshine day here in Calgary, too. I enjoyed it by going out for a 4 hour snowshoe and now I can’t move. :D

Tina
teapot57

Postby PeteE » Mon May 07, 2018 8:01 am

I was out at Lake McDonald Lodge yesterday, Sunday May 6th.
The weather was beautiful. Temps in the 70's and no wind in the AM. Good reflections on the lake too :)
It was a ZOO around noon time. Virtually every single place to park had a car in it.
Cars leaving because there was no parking. Looked more like July 6th than May 6th.
Lots of bikers were there as you might expect. There were quite a few out of town visitors, including many foreign nationals.

A sign of things to come? Another record crowd this year?

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby dpratt » Mon May 07, 2018 9:05 am

PeteE wrote:A sign of things to come? Another record crowd this year?

I miss the days (not that long ago) when the park was dead this time of year. Roughly 10-15 years ago, we used to camp in Apgar in June and September and have the place virtually to ourselves. We were there last weekend for the opener, and just about every site that wasn't covered in snow was taken. Luckily we got there early enough to nab a good site. Granted, only Loop C was open, but I wasn't expecting that.
dpratt
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

PreviousNext

Return to General Glacier Discussion