Bill to amend Wilderness Act

A place to talk about Glacier in general, if you have something that is political, please post it in the "Politics" section of the chat system.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Bill to amend Wilderness Act

Postby Selkie » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:32 am

Glacier NP is surrounded by magnificent Wilderness areas that often make it onto hikers' agendas.

H.R.1349 - To amend the Wilderness Act to ensure that the use of bicycles, wheelchairs, strollers, and game carts is not prohibited in Wilderness Areas, and for other purposes.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1349

There are several actions on this bill, the latest from mid-December.

I suspect that old logging roads and river bottoms, which afford smoother tire passage than the rocky steeps, would be most affected.
Selkie
Donator
Donator

Re: Bill to amend Wilderness Act

Postby griffin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Are those items being prohibited now? I know in NH they used horse-drawn wagons as part of a bridge-removal project in the Pemi Wilderness Area. Not the same as a bike or a wheelchair, but if people care capable of understanding a horse counts as "non-motorized" they'd figure it out with a wheelchair, too. No?
griffin

Postby Selkie » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi Griffin,
I actually read about the bill on VFTT.

I don't recall the specifics of the Lincoln Woods Trail rebuild or the old suspension bridge removal, but if it was done under the aegis of the Forest Service, then presumably the FS can give itself, or get, waivers. (In the case of Lincoln Woods, the work was done on a trail outside the Wilderness boundary.)

It was very startling to share a Canadian trail with bicyclists, horses, and marathon runners all at once! Though the flugelhorners were a nice touch.
:lol:
Selkie
Donator
Donator

Postby llholmes1948 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:20 am

Link to an article in the Flathead Beacon:

http://flatheadbeacon.com/2017/12/21/la ... in-bikers/
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Return to General Glacier Discussion