Five Pass-Red Eagle Loop (Filling out Permit Q's)

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Five Pass-Red Eagle Loop (Filling out Permit Q's)

Postby Spencer3304 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:05 am

Hi,

I'm trying to fill out my permit for either the first week of July or the last week.

It will be me and another individual and we have decided that we would like to do the 6 day Red Eagle Loop which my understanding includes a reverse Norris traverse.
Since much of the loop is off trail I'm having difficulty filling out the permit properly.
I am living in SC at the moment so I'm not able to really pop in and check out the area or do a walk in permit.

If anyone could advise me I would greatly appreciate it.

I've included some of the material I am going off of below, I apologize if some of the route information is contradictory in nature.

Cheers,

Backpacker - https://www.backpacker.com/trips/glacie ... eagle-loop
GPS - http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTAzMzU2
General content - http://outtherewithtom.blogspot.com/201 ... orris.html
Spencer3304

Re: Five Pass-Red Eagle Loop (Filling out Permit Q's)

Postby wnysteve » Thu May 24, 2018 12:47 pm

Spencer, I assume that you are preparing an on-line application. I believe that requests for off-trail (Dispersed Camping) requests have to be made in person at the Backcountry Office.
wnysteve
Donator
Donator

Postby Spencer3304 » Thu May 24, 2018 1:32 pm

Ahhh that makes a lot of sense as to why I was having trouble filling out the forms then!

Would you be able to point me in the direction of a reference for finding a long loop trail (~6 days)? My goal is to see as few hikers as possible :lol: (trails and campsites in SC are few and far too over crowded)
Spencer3304

Postby PeteE » Thu May 24, 2018 1:34 pm

During the first week of July, that route will almost certainly require crampons, ice ax, and the knowledge and skills to use them.
This has been a bigger than usual snow year. No way to be certain at this time but parts of that route will most likely be snow/ice covered.

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Thu May 24, 2018 1:42 pm

Spencer3304 wrote:Ahhh that makes a lot of sense as to why I was having trouble filling out the forms then!

Would you be able to point me in the direction of a reference for finding a long loop trail (~6 days)? My goal is to see as few hikers as possible :lol: (trails and campsites in SC are few and far too over crowded)

LOL!!
You won't find much solitude here either.
The crowds has increased here dramatically over the last few years. Unless....

If your bushwhacking/navigation skills are good, and you don't mind brushy trails and sometimes sketchy stream crossings....
Do a trip in the "Nyack" part of the park. You won't see many people in there at all---might not see any in some parts.
The trails are not regularly maintained and streams aren't all bridged.

The Nyack is the light purple area down in the southern part of the park.
Study all 6 pages of this link. Very important information for all backpackers.

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/ ... ap-Web.pdf

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby Spencer3304 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:05 am

Thanks!

It was not apparent that you could check the reserved dates for each site by clicking on the camp sites. A phone call to the permit office cleared that up and we ended up with a good multi-day hike thru the Nyack region in late July :arrow: .

COA
PAR
COA
BEA
UPN
LYN

TOTALS;
Trip length 63.60 miles
Elevation up 6,090 feet
Elevation down 6,760 feet
Spencer3304

Return to Backcountry Permits