Glacier Info

Let us know when you will be visiting,

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Glacier Info

Postby larryrainey » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:04 pm

We will be in Glacier for several days beginning June 20. I know this is probably too early for GTTS road to be open but I can't do it any other way. We are short distance hikers and are looking for must see and must do's in Glacier and Waterton. Thanks
larryrainey

Re: Glacier Info

Postby flatlander » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:38 pm

You may be able to cross the GTTS road, as it has opened anywhere from mid-June to early-July (June 29 in 2017). That said, there will be plenty to keep you busy even if the entire road is not open before your departure.
While the higher alpine hikes will be closed when you visit, there is plenty of other hiking, the creeks and waterfalls are amazing at peak flow, the park is less crowded then later in the season, and the grand hotels are as majestic as ever.
Check out the general guide to GNP entitled "Hockey Ref's Glacier National Park FAQs" in the General Section of this site at
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=580 including hiking recommendations.
For your time period, I would recommend hiking along the west side of McDonald Creek, Avalanche Gorge/Trail of the Cedars, St. Mary's and Virginia Falls, Sun Point Nature Trail and Sunrift Gorge along the GTTS road. In Many Glacier area, you can't go wrong hiking to Grinnell Lake, part of the Swiftcurrent Valley trail and, to the extent open, the Iceberg Lake trail. If time allows, a drive to Two Medicine Lake is nice, including the short hike to Running Eagle Falls.
flatlander
Donator
Donator

Postby Ear Mountain » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:19 am

Since this is not a Post Trip report I moved the post to the "2018 Trip Dates Section."
Ralph
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Postby MarxMN » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:47 am

Check out the Belly River area too. The hikes may be longer than you want (about 7 miles to the Belly River Ranger stations and further to Cosley or Elizabeth Lakes) but the area will likely be free of snow.
MarxMN
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:11 am

flatlander wrote:...For your time period, I would recommend hiking along the west side of McDonald Creek, Avalanche Gorge/Trail of the Cedars, St. Mary's and Virginia Falls, Sun Point Nature Trail and Sunrift Gorge along the GTTS road. In Many Glacier area, you can't go wrong hiking to Grinnell Lake, part of the Swiftcurrent Valley trail and, to the extent open, the Iceberg Lake trail. If time allows, a drive to Two Medicine Lake is nice, including the short hike to Running Eagle Falls.

I would second those recommendations, especially the area from Sun Point to Jackson Overlook. The Reynolds fire opened that area nicely.
The fire did NOT burn the area to a crisp, but rather in a typical "mosaic" fashion. The hiking is easy and you can make several "loop hikes"using the shuttle. The flowers should still be good for that area.
I would also include hiking up the Siyeh Pass trail from Sunrift Gorge parking area. Great scenery and views of the Baring Creek drainage...and good flowers as well. Go as far as you want and come back.

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:33 pm

I just came back from 5 nights at Many Glacier.
The flowers are doing good around the St Mary Falls area while maybe not like last year is still looking very nice this year.
It's just starting to bloom well. Should be good for at least a couple weeks or longer.
The Sun Road should be opening any time...all clear of snow...putting in guard rails now.
My neighbors in camp hiked from Jackson Overlook to Logan Pass over the weekend....about 9-10 miles RT on the road.
They said it was spectacular. Saw goats sheep and a griz(up on the slopes somewhere.

pete :wink:
PeteE

Return to 2018 Trip Dates