Badgerhiker's 2018 Trip Report

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: Badgerhiker's 2018 Trip Report

Postby paul » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:10 am

When I did Reynolds I was wearing a helmet too. I saw a few others wearing helmets but most were not. I was glad that I wore the helmet since there was an low overhanging rock that I accidentally lifted my head and hit it. With the helmet on it didn't matter, if I didn't have the helmet on I probably would have put a gash on head.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
paul
Donator
Donator

Postby tibber » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:33 am

the views from Reynolds are stunning!
tibber

Postby Badgerhiker » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:14 pm

paul wrote:When I did Reynolds I was wearing a helmet too. I saw a few others wearing helmets but most were not. I was glad that I wore the helmet since there was an low overhanging rock that I accidentally lifted my head and hit it. With the helmet on it didn't matter, if I didn't have the helmet on I probably would have put a gash on head.

I bumped my head too but not very hard. I think it had more too do with me not being use to a helmet sticking an extra 3" above my head. But wearing a helmet could save your life someday. I've see plenty of goats kick rocks down a mountain side that could potentially kill.
Badgerhiker

Postby Badgerhiker » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:59 pm

July 29 Waterton Lakes NP

I needed a rest day so I drove up to Waterton. I knew most of the park was closed but I've never been there and I needed something to do. I read the fires in Waterton were bad but I was shocked by how close the fire came to the town. The whole mountain range was burnt right down to the edge of town. Whatever praise the firefighters got (i'm sure it was a lot) it wasn't enough. Waterton Townsite had the same vibe as some of the touristy towns in northern Wisconsin. A lot of shops, restaurants and hotels with kayak rentals. Parking wasn't bad at all for the afternoon. I parked close to the center of town and walked around a bit before driving over to Prince of Wales hotel.

I stopped at Two Sisters on the way back. The dinning room was about twice the size after their expansion. The owner saw my badger hat and had too hit me up on how Wisconsin's football team is going to be. He's a big Michigan St fan. He made sure to point out some anti-michigan wolverines bumper stickers above the kitchen. It's always nice to share with other fans our mutual dislike for michigan football! 8)
Badgerhiker

Postby Badgerhiker » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:51 pm

July 30 Grinnell Glacier & Angel Wing

I started the day out with every intention of doing the Shangri La hike to Iceberg Lake. As I drove past the empty entrance booth I spotted a notice hanging in the window. Whats this say? Iceberg lake trail closed because of bear activity. DAMN! Where do I go now? I guess I'll do plan B Grinnell Glacier then up to Angel Wing. This says something about the beauty of Glacier when this hike is your plan B! I parked at the trail head at about 7:00 and got one of the last 4 or 5 spots. The view at Lake Josephine was stunning.

A short ways up the trail a young couple yelled to me that there is two elk in the lake. I thought to myself elk in the lake, that doesn't seem right. I get up there and its a cow moose and calf. LOL! I tell them that those are moose out in the water. The girl asks how can you tell? :roll: You might want to google it when you get back to a wifi connection or something. (I didn't actually say that but I was thinking it) That was the only animals I saw the rest of the way but that's ok because the scenery was an A+.

I really struggled taking pictures at the glacier. It's such a strange landscape that the glacier left behind. It's interesting because it's so unique but also kind of ugly. I had the same reaction at Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone last year.

When I made it to the stream I noticed a father and teenage son crossing down stream. I walk over to them and their jumping over a narrow shoot of ice cold rushing water onto a narrow ledge. Good grief! You need to think of the risk factors before doing things like that. If you cross on the stepping stones by the lake, the worst thing that could happen is a wet foot. Where they crossed, possible death if you slip and hit your head getting pulled through the water shoot. Luckily they tiptoed along the ledge and on to flat ground but with more drama than was necessary.
This picture really shows how sickly the glacier is looking. There's more rocks showing than ice. The boulder on the right is the size of a semi and the only thing holding it up is some melting ice!

I was the only one on top of Angel Wing but it was pretty windy so I found what shelter I could to eat lunch. After enjoying the views for awhile I started the long hot slog back to the car. Up in elevation the weathers been gorgeous but man it's been warm in the valleys this trip.

Badgerhiker

Postby tibber » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:02 am

Your pictures are great. I thot the pictures at Upper Grinnell were so fabulous; especially the ones with the geology like along the lake with the stromatolites.

That one area where you have to cross that little cascade (Picture 7) to get to the glacier was so nerve-wracking for me initially (I was with Ranger Rick's guided hike in 2003) but once I realized it would be okay if my feet got a little wet; I was able to cross.

Your photography is top notch.

Oh and I agree about it seeming to be hot in the Valleys. We were hiking on the Highline when you were doing this hike.

Oh I like the photo along the rock ledge looking toward the waterfalls and Upper Grinnell area; nice to have all those colors (photo 4)
tibber

Postby Sue Z » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:01 pm

Wonderful trip report and photos. Thanks so much for posting.

I have a similar feeling about Mammoth Hot Springs at Yellowstone - it looks post-apocalyptic.
Sue Z
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Postby TnTammy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:25 am

Badger,
Your pics are gorgeous! Alittle late to the party here but i thought some of your cloudy skies were beautiful, like at Theo Roosevelt & Garden Wall sunsets. I've experienced clouds spilling over the Garden Wall like that while at Granite Park & was mesmerized by the movement.
You do up Piegan, Dragon's Tail, Reynolds, Swifty Lookout, and Grinnell PROUD! What a trip!!
Have enjoyed it all and the story!
Hoping for more!!
Tam

btw, really loved your opening shot at Theo Roosevelt...never thought of going there but that was some beautiful landscape
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Postby Badgerhiker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:19 am

Your pictures are great. I thot the pictures at Upper Grinnell were so fabulous; especially the ones with the geology like along the lake with the stromatolites.

Thanks tibber, glad your enjoying the trip report. I'm having fun reading yours too. So the dark spots along the lake are stromatolites? That's interesting. I was wondering what caused those dark patterns. Thanks for the comments Sue, I've had fun putting the report together.
Last edited by Badgerhiker on Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Badgerhiker

Postby Badgerhiker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:41 am

TnTammy wrote:Badger,
Your pics are gorgeous! Alittle late to the party here but i thought some of your cloudy skies were beautiful, like at Theo Roosevelt & Garden Wall sunsets. I've experienced clouds spilling over the Garden Wall like that while at Granite Park & was mesmerized by the movement.
You do up Piegan, Dragon's Tail, Reynolds, Swifty Lookout, and Grinnell PROUD! What a trip!!
Have enjoyed it all and the story!
Hoping for more!!
Tam

Thanks TnTammy. I really wanted to challenge myself this trip and see some epic scenery. I'm lucky to have a steep 600 to 700 ft hill 10 minutes from my house to hike on. I go there 3 to 4 times a week to stay in shape. It's the perfect workout to get ready for hiking in the mountains.

TnTammy wrote:Badger,
btw, really loved your opening shot at Theo Roosevelt...never thought of going there but that was some beautiful landscape

Yeah, Theo Roosevelt is a nice park to visit for a day or two. It makes for a good stopping point on the way to Glacier. Though the scenery isn't quite as impressive on the way back from Glacier. If you visit in the summer it can get really hot and there's no shade. On my way back my car thermometer read 98 degrees. That would have been pretty tough to camp and hike in.
Badgerhiker

Previous

Return to Trip Reports