first trip is in the can

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: Tara, Kathy

emusdad
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

first trip is in the can

Post by emusdad »

Even though it didnt go according to plan and I had to leave early it was still a great success.

First, we arrived on schedule and did the st Mary's waterfall hike. My daughter and I enjoyed the hike. We loved the clean water and all the different ways to get in and enjoy the water. Virginia falls was a great experience. The wind and noise it created was a first to us. When they say the rocks are slippery they are really under stating it. The rocks resemble glare ice and I found that out when I fell on my butt.

We made our way to babb with a stop at the two sisters for a lovely late supper. Other than the nature and the wildlife a big positive of my hike was the entire swift current cabin complex. I very much enjoyed it. The best sleep I got was in my little cabin. I was 5 minutes from the moose at fisherman lake, a minute from the shower and general stores. They had a nice gift shop and the prices were not insane at the general store. Ive decided that I won't stay anywhere else on my subsequent trips.

The next day we did iceberg lake. My ten year old kicked my butt on that hike. I kept having to tell jer to stop getting ahead of me. The lake was awesome and still full of ice. I was surprised that people, mostly young girls were stripping down to ether their underwear or swimsuits to jump in. But whatever, it was funny to watch. Anyway, what a great hike. We spotted a large bull moose and then later a mom with calf who were enjoying a mud bath.

This is where it gets kind of bad for me. A couple hours after iceberg lake I knew I was in trouble. My muscles in my legs were killing me. I couldn't get up, I could hardly walk and in 2 days I had the highlight to swift current loop trail planned. So, that day and the next day I didnt do much but rest. Unfortunately I spent the night at the many glacier hotel, more on that later. I was supposed to take the early shuttle from the many glacier to the st Mary's shuttle and on to Logan's pass. At about 2am I made the decision to cancel the hike. I wasn't in as much pain but I was at the level of serious discomfort. My reasoning was, I could probably do the hike but it wouldn't have been fun and we were there to have fun. Also, if my serious discomfort turned into seriois pain or injury how would I jave gotten out, a chopper?

After glacier we were supposed to go to whitish for two days of fun. Well, I couldn't move up our lodging so we decided to just come home. But don't feel bad for me. It was my first trip and I learned a lot. Ive learned I need to be in a little better shape, I learned that the swift current cabins are where I will stay in the future. I also learned that I will not drive out again. I spent 4 days on the road and between gas, meals and hotels I dropped over a grand.

2 last things. The many glacier hotel was the only bad thing about the teip. I never wanted to stay there but that was where they put me after screwing up my lodging. Anyway, my room was next to the pelican dining room and waiting area. All I heard till 11pm was tables sliding and dishes clanging as well as all the people playing cards and making noise in the lounge. The walls are so thin you hear every last noise your neighbors make. I could go on but there is no need to.

To finish on a high note, I got to meet a few members of this board. Ken cooper, for the past several months has been giving me hint after hint. We met up at the swift current cabins and I met a couple other people from this board. Ken was a huge reason for all the success and the fun of my trip. I hope to speak to him and see him in future trips.

Either way, we will be back and we cant wait

Jen

Re: first trip is in the can

Post by Jen »

Sorry things did not go quite as planned but it sounds like you made the most of your time!

How old is your daughter and what did she think of the trip?

toddnick
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by toddnick »

Sounds like you had some fun and learned a lot (I also love Swiftcurrent, I generally camp at MG Campground, but it is the same amazing Swiftcurrent neighborhood)!!!! :D

The next trip should be even better (and there always is a next trip)!!!!

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Mzambo
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by Mzambo »

Was nice to meet you and your daughter for a minute, glad you enjoyed your time. Ken was a bit worried that we did not see you at the Chalet. So glad you are both ok.

Marie

emusdad

Post by emusdad »

I knew ken would be worried. I called his cell and left a message. Hoping he would check it at the chalet. Then I emailed him. My guess is he didnt even take his phone out. What a truly good guy though, everyone I met was.

As to the other question, my ten year old had a good time and wants to come back. I think what sold her was when we came rigjt up on a mom moose and the calf ran 6 feet in front of us. She was so excited. She turned around and said " this was the coolest thing I ever did" she also had no issue at all with doing iceberg lake. Next trip we will do the missed oit on highland to swift current loop and Grinnell glacier. And then maybe st Mary's waterfall again. Jumping off tje cliffs looked like fun but I wasn't prepared for it. Ive got 2 years to plan but I won't need it. Ken taught me well, plus I have experience now.

On a side note. My uncle and aunt want to come out next time with us.

One thing I did enjoy was helping out other visitors find what they were looking for. For some reason it seems people didnt do much research into the park. So it was nice to send them in the right direction for a good meal or to find certain types of wildlife

mikie

Post by mikie »

Sounds like you and daughter had a great time in Glacier. The place is pretty addicting.

Here are a couple of tips to reduce your muscle issues: Most beginning hikers do not drink enough water while hiking. As they become dehydrated, their bodies become polluted with impurities. Once you become dehydrated you become tired, and your muscles will become more inflamed. Water removes those impurities from your body. Drinking water is vital to reduce muscle soreness and muscle cramps. Some hiking backpacks have a pocket for a water bladder. Most water bladders can hold 2-3 quarts of water. Some people drink 16oz an hour before their hike to ensure that they are fully hydrated at the start of the hike. If you don't hike weekly, I recommend an inflammatory, like Advil at the end of your hike. This will reduce the soreness and helps eliminate most muscle cramps you can get later in the day. I also increase my intake of potassium. Your muscles need potassium to operate efficiently. I usually just eat a banana or two per day. That is enough to increase the potassium level for hiking. You should start doing this a month or two before you visit. It can be harmful to your health to take too much or too little potassium. Remember...everything in moderation. If you can do some walking or hiking a month or two before visiting, you will find this most helpful. Bicycling, swimming, and running is always helpful, but not as good as walking. Those other activities do not use the same muscles you use while hiking. You can also start with some shorter hikes to get your body warmed up for larger hikes. Save your larger hikes for your final days in Glacier.

Chip

Post by Chip »

Mitch We very much enjoyed meeting you. It was great to see how Em bubbled with glee in response to how she liked her trip. And yes we were concerned about you not showing up at the Chalet, especially after the storm that night. Would like to share more time with you both. I'm sure we will be in touch. Ken