Sperry Chalet via Floral Park (8/31/14)

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: Tara, Kathy

DaveC
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Sperry Chalet via Floral Park (8/31/14)

Post by DaveC »

My parents came out to visit. They had managed to snag one night at Sperry via a cancellation. My mom and I hiked in via Floral Park, while my wife and stepdad went up the usual way. It snowed a bit at Comeau Pass. The whole thing was awesome.

Photos: http://bedrockandparadox.com/2014/09/03/circles/

One route detail worth highlighting for Floral aspirants:

In the past on Floral I've found the little bit of glacier at the end, leading up to the last cairns, to be snow and thus easy and safe going in shoes. This year that is not the case; the bottom half is white ice. With only one pair of microspikes, we detoured around towards the flank of Edwards were one can easily and non-technically climb up to the trail.

If you have crampons and the appropriate skills, I'd suggest bringing them and walking along the toe of the glacier up to the trail. This is the least strenuous method, and really cool. If not, following the terminal moraine and avoiding the glacier entirely is probably best.

It's also worth noting that signs of increased traffic have become very evident on the Floral route in the last few years. Specifically, cairns and a visible tread across the tundra. I'd suggest that a large part of the appeal here is the absence of these things, and thus encourage folks to not build more cairns (I knocked down all the ones I found) and not walk single file on the tundra. Allow future people to have the same route-finding adventure. When this area has enough traffic for a proper trail tread to exist, cairns will be appropriate, but that time is still quite a ways off.

scott-atl
Donator
Donator

Re: Sperry Chalet via Floral Park (8/31/14)

Post by scott-atl »

nice report and pics. picked up a guy the other day that said he was the baker at sperry for 5 years.

mikie

Post by mikie »

Real nice trip report.

liketohike
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by liketohike »

great report! glad you made it safely.

Jay w
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Jay w »

Rain, clouds, bullet ice, and looking for an exit beyond the glacier all sound familiar, but I wasn't able to find that exit.

Great photos and writeup.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.

DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Jay w wrote:Rain, clouds, bullet ice, and looking for an exit beyond the glacier all sound familiar, but I wasn't able to find that exit.

Thanks everyone.

Jay, if you look at sat photos of the basin the westernmost lake, long and skinny, will stand out. A hiker will be on the eastern side. Go past the lake, cross the outlet stream, and head up SW and then south.

Jay w
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by Jay w »

Thanks. I tried climbing that rock outcrop before the lake. It looks easy from a distance, but it's more than I could handle. It's good to hear you got around the slab before getting wet and cold.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.

Marmotman

Post by Marmotman »

Ah, the infamous rock outcropping with the cairn. I attempted to climb those rocks on my second trip. The rock is glass smooth with no handholds and sloped. They scared me to death so I turned around and went out via the "western most lake" already described. Other than one exit out via the glacier with Toddnick, I've always taken the lake route out. I've found it to be just as fast as the glacier route (if not a wee bit faster).