Raising a Girl with Grit: a step-by-step guide

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: Tara, Kathy

Jen

Raising a Girl with Grit: a step-by-step guide

Post by Jen »

Step 1: Let her miss a week of school to go hiking

There was a precise moment when I began planning for 2015. I was seated on the rocks outside of the Sperry Chalet dormitory in September 2014. I was consumed by the 360 degree views. I took in a deep breath of fresh mountain air and, as I exhaled, a single realization overwhelmed me. In that moment, I knew that I had to bring my daughter to experience this. This view, this air, this hike, this experience, this camaraderie. (minus the vino).
Thus began the 2015 trip planning. I booked 2 nights at the chalet for us way back last October and began making payments in installments for our stay at Sperry Chalet. I ended up adding a 3rd night later in the year.
Maia is 10 going on 30. She is smart, outgoing and funny. She is the best tree climber I know. She hates dolls, princesses and the color pink but loves camping, hiking and just being outside. She is just an amazing little human and makes parenting easy. I also find her to be an excellent travel companion. This was her 3rd trip to Glacier National Park and her 2nd trip via The Empire Builder. She was an infant on the first trip so she does not remember taking the train. She climbed Mt. Divide and Mt. Calf Robe in 2011 when she was 6 years old.
Don’t feel bad for her older brother, Cooper. He really doesn’t enjoy hiking.

Step 2: Don't let her win just because she is a kid

My pre-dinner cocktail

My girl making friends in the dining car

Midway through the great state of Montana, we noticed a helicopter flying alongside the train. Weird. It was racing up and down the length of the train and up and over the top. At one point I thought it was going to land on top of the train! I was convinced that there was either a fugitive on board or that the train had no brakes. As it turned out, the chopper was flying a film crew from the BBC. They were filming a documentary called "Trains across America". Hopefully when it debuts we can see Maia waving to the film crew. ;)

July Guy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Re: Raising a Girl with Grit: a step-by-step guide

Post by July Guy »

"She is smart, outgoing and funny."

How in the world did that happen?

:)
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker

Jen

Post by Jen »

July Guy wrote:"She is smart, outgoing and funny."

How in the world did that happen?

:)
Hey! Look what I found next to this apple tree! An apple! So weird, right?

July Guy
Donator
Donator

Post by July Guy »

:P
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker

Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I have to agree. I thought Maia was pretty amazing and a few years older. She is also fit. She totally kicked my butt going up Lincoln.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by PeteE »

Jen wrote:...She climbed Mt. Divide and Mt. Calf Robe in 2011 when she was 6 years old.
Don’t feel bad for her older brother, Cooper. He really doesn’t enjoy hiking...
Unhappily, I didn't get to see Maia or any of you this year.
However, I remember meeting you both in 2011(GMS picnic at Swiftcurrent). :mrgreen:
I couldn't believe she did those peaks back then! :D
I thought she was older because of the way she spoke and "carried herself"?, attitude?
Maia is a remarkable young lady.
I know you and hubs are very proud of Maia, and rightfully so.

pete :wink:
"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

liketohike
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by liketohike »

I agree with all of the above...Jen, we had a great time meeting and hiking with you two!
great start to your trip report!
Pete, sorry you didn't make it...hopefully next time:-)

Jen

Post by Jen »

When we left Milwaukee it was 93 degrees. I was giddy to see the snow-capped peaks coming into East Glacier Park. It was 49 degrees when we got off the train. 8)

I admit. I did not think this plan through very well. Our first night was booked at Brownies Hostel. We were not picking up our car until the next morning. We had "a few" bags and a few blocks to walk. And it was drizzling.
Maia never complained. Maybe she was just happy she was not at school? She did mention that the cool air felt fantastic. :)

Step 3)Make your own bed. (This aint no Ritz)

We walked to Glacier Park Lodge for dinner. Indulged in some yummy soups and jogged back to Brownies for some snuggles in a flat, comfy bed.

mattB
Donator
Donator

Post by mattB »

Jay w wrote:I have to agree. I thought Maia was pretty amazing and a few years older. She is also fit. She totally kicked my butt going up Lincoln.
Jay
And she's ruthless at Parcheesi, but I know where she learned that!! I was crushed in a game at Schauss cabin...

poky5mom
Donator
Donator

Post by poky5mom »

Oh goody! I better get ahead at work now so I can enjoy this! :arrow:
Kim

elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

nice start. Do we get a knee report now or later?
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark"
(Eclipse by Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon)

brindledog
Donator
Donator

Post by brindledog »

Fantastic! Cannot wait to hear more!

Jen

Post by Jen »

Don’t let the convenience store sandwich warmer at Brownies fool you. The breakfast burritos are phenomenal. Maia opted for one cinnamon twist, one snickerdoodle and one apple turnover. She said the snickerdoodle was her favorite but the crumbs all over the seat in the rental car tell me the apple turnover may have been just as tasty.
I had been staring at google earth for weeks prior to our trip. The route up Mt. Henry seemed very doable. At the very least we planned to hike scenic point since we had not been up there before.
Plan B: We met GNPJim at his campsite in Two Medicine. After hugs and hellos we decided that no one wanted to hike up to scenic point in the freezing rain.
Jim and Karen headed back up to St. mary and we warmed up in the camp store then headed up the trail toward Aster Overlook.

Step 4: Hike on a not-so-sunny day

Back in the parking lot we cooked up some lunch and made the unanimous decision that we would NOT be tent camping that night. So we headed back to East Glacier and got the last room at Sears Motel.

Jay w

Post by Jay w »

I like it. And the dreamy look on the last one is a nice touch. I've made it up Aster half way, so it's interesting to see the "top."

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.

Jen

Post by Jen »

Jay w wrote:I like it. And the dreamy look on the last one is a nice touch. I've made it up Aster half way, so it's interesting to see the "top."

Jay
Thanks, Jay. I have a photo editing assistant making most of the decisions. :mrgreen:

The "top".