Raising a Girl with Grit: a step-by-step guide

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: Tara, Kathy

mattB
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Raising a Girl with Grit: a step-by-step guide

Post by mattB »

I'm still working on my TripReport, but thought I'd drop in these two pieces of evidence, since they're pertinent to this thread at this point!

These are just topo maps I annotated a bit.

joybird
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by joybird »

Jen wrote: Do you have any insider tips? My co-pay for PT is $100. :evil:
1. Ice is your friend.
2. Vicodin is your friend.
3. Ice + beer = good
4. Vicodin + beer = bad
5. Chocolate cookies are always good.

PM me and we can get more technical. :wink:

Jen

Post by Jen »

joybird wrote:
Jen wrote: Do you have any insider tips? My co-pay for PT is $100. :evil:
1. Ice is your friend.
2. Vicodin is your friend.
3. Ice + beer = good
4. Vicodin + beer = bad
5. Chocolate cookies are always good.

PM me and we can get more technical. :wink:
Well, I don't have any Vicodin (yet) so I guess I am doing it right. :)

Thanks for the maps, Mattb! I am still working on drawing a stick person rendition of how I landed.

July Guy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by July Guy »

Matt,

You map is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time! I laughed so hard, thanks.

JG
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker

elscout198

Post by elscout198 »

Jen, Godspeed on a recovery, I knew it wasn't good. A little smile perhaps

Terry

http://nycomedy.files.wordpress.com/201 ... oblems.gif
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark"
(Eclipse by Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon)

Jen

Post by Jen »

elscout198 wrote:Jen, Godspeed on a recovery, I knew it wasn't good. A little smile perhaps

Terry

http://nycomedy.files.wordpress.com/201 ... oblems.gif

Thanks, Terry-Joe. :mrgreen:

Jen

Post by Jen »

Step 8: Lead by example. (Rub some dirt on it)

I woke up early with a very stiff, marginally swollen knee and headed for the outhouse. I was moving very slow but was not in excruciating pain. On my way back inside I made the decision to "give her a go".

After one last stop for the season at The Merc for Pastries we headed to the Sperry Trailhead.

My pack was not as well thought out as I prefer since I convinced myself the night before that I would not be doing any more hiking on this trip. That being said, I started throwing things I assumed I would not need out on to the backseat of the car in an attempt to make my pack as light as possible. Rain gear? Don't need it. Gaiters? nope. Long underwear? Nope. Extra clothes? Nah. Sandals? pack 'em. I ended up with a really nice lightweight pack for the hike up to Sperry. 8)

Step 9) This girl already has enough Grit
One more (long) potty stop by the camp store and we were off like dirty shirts. We made it just past the horse stables when Maia started groaning. She dropped her pack and darted off trail behind a tree. This happened 2 more times in the next hour. :shock: My lightweight pack came in handy when I needed to stuff her full pack inside of mine for a few miles.
I felt so bad for her poor tummy. We have all been there. (especially when travelling?) But once she got it all out of her system I couldn't slow her down. I gave her back her pack and she was full throttle for the Chalet. (I promised her there would be goats when we got there.)

I was thinking about the lemonade I would receive at check-in for about 2 full hours. I got lemonade plus a yummy panini. Maia was pleasantly surprised by the addition of pickles in the tuna salad. Apparently I have been doing it wrong.
We eventually made our way over to the dorm where the wine bar was already in progress ....

Waiting for the next course

"I have selected a reading from....."

So, yes, I made it to Sperry. :arrow:

Jen

Post by Jen »

Um? Hello? No Goats??????

calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

Both you and your daughter are Girls with Grit! Amazing you were able to hike to Sperry with the KNEE. I wish you the best as you deal with it. I've been dealing with a torn meniscus in my knee since June which really impacted on my Glacier experience in July. However, my knee damage is nothing compared to what you have with your knee. I feel like a wuss. I am NOT going to complain about my knee again. I will think about how you pushed on through all that pain. Know you will be glad to get the surgery over and be able to be on the road to recovery.

Your trip report is very entertaining; your daughter sounds amazing!
The mountains are calling and I must go.

teapot57

Post by teapot57 »

Yes, Jen . . . she clearly gets her grit from you and your example! Wow. I can't believe you hiked up to Sperry and then some. Hope you had some good poles to rely on!

Last summer I sprained my ankle pretty badly on the Iceberg Lake trail. I was supposed to stay at the Granite Park Chalet the next night. Like you, I cried that night and felt like an idiot for ruining my trip with one stupid move. After elevating my ankle all night I woke up feeling hopeful that I could make it, but tried to take that first step out of bed and could barely make it across the room. I was done for. Not knowing if I was dealing with a sprain or break, and not wanting to hold up the group I was with, I packed it up and drove home for X-rays. I guess I'm not that gritty. :D

I'm sure you were thankful that you had friends there with you this trip. I'm sure you and Maia had lots of support along the way!

Jen

Post by Jen »

calicotraveler wrote: I will think about how you pushed on through all that pain.

Your trip report is very entertaining; your daughter sounds amazing!
When I was assessing whether or not I could make it to Sperry I thought "WWBD"?
Balou44 had torn his medial meniscus during his epic motorcycle trip to Alaska before arriving in the park in 2009. That stubborn cheesehead still lead the GMS climb up Mt. Siyeh!

And yes, she is pretty amazing. 8)

Jen

Post by Jen »

teapot57 wrote:...not wanting to hold up the group I was with.
My biggest concern was if it somehow got worse. I know my hiking buddies would have felt obligated to get me back to civilization. I wholeheartedly admit that the decision to make the hike was self-centered. I even knew it at the time. My other concern was the look of disappointment on Maias face while we were discussing bailing on Sperry Chalet. She never said a word. She knew it was what is was and that accidents happen.... but THAT look. :?
Sorry Bruce and Matt but I was willing to risk ruining your trips for the sake of the girl.

I purposely set out from the Lake McDonald parking lot ahead of Bruce and Matt. My intention was to set the tone that we didn't need to hike this as a group effort. I certainly didn't want them to feel they had to accompany Maia and I.

IndianaTom

Post by IndianaTom »

Jen,

Fantastic Trip Report as someone who has been though ACL reconstruction myself. The most important thing is the Rehab. Go hard. My brother and I went through it 1 year apart and it was a competition to see who could play basketball faster and take the least amount of pain meds. Neither of us even took a prescription. I also had a torn Meniscus. My recommendation is to start taking Selenium. I had a little big of knee pain post surgery, and selenium took care of it. It's an element that helps soften the cartilage in joints to make them more flexible. I don't have any knee pain at all anymore.

Jen

Post by Jen »

Thanks for the tip on the Selenium, Indiana. I was doing some fall yard work the other day and stepped in a small hole/divot in the lawn. I felt the bones rub together and my knee swelled back up. I have been icing and kinesiotaping and that has brought the swelling down. I am really looking forward to getting some stability back.

missguinness
Donator
Donator

Post by missguinness »

Late to the trip report! I will tell you all that like mother like daughter. Two wonderful people! Jen was a trooper and Maia is a speedy goat.
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
~Victor Hugo