LifeStraw: the end of water filtering?

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: Kathy, Tara, Hockey Ref, dorf

Re: LifeStraw: the end of water filtering?

Postby teapot57 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:28 pm

[quote][/quote]
Last edited by teapot57 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
teapot57

Postby PJ » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:35 am

We have used the Steripen for the last three years for hiking and backpacking with no problems - including a five day trip in the Winds which are notorious for giardia contamination. LOVE it! It is fast and simple to purify a quart / liter at a time. We have a solar charger for it - but it is not needed for a trip for two of four days/three nights since it maintains a charger for that period of time - even for heavy coffee drinkers.
PJ

Postby Nodust » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:00 pm

PJ wrote:We have used the Steripen for the last three years for hiking and backpacking with no problems - including a five day trip in the Winds which are notorious for giardia contamination. LOVE it! It is fast and simple to purify a quart / liter at a time. We have a solar charger for it - but it is not needed for a trip for two of four days/three nights since it maintains a charger for that period of time - even for heavy coffee drinkers.

You use the steri pen for coffee water?
Nodust

Postby PJ » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:20 pm

I do. Especially for the first cup of the morning because I use homemade coffee bags with drip coffee and don't usually bring it to a full rolling boil.
PJ

Postby Jen » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:28 pm

PJ wrote:I do. Especially for the first cup of the morning because I use homemade coffee bags with drip coffee and don't usually bring it to a full rolling boil.

I don't bring my coffee water to a rolling boil for my Starbucks VIA either. I need to start sipping ASAP. Therefore I use filtered water. 8)
Jen

Postby Ear Mountain » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:38 pm

Jen wrote:
PJ wrote:I do. Especially for the first cup of the morning because I use homemade coffee bags with drip coffee and don't usually bring it to a full rolling boil.

I don't bring my coffee water to a rolling boil for my Starbucks VIA either. I need to start sipping ASAP. Therefore I use filtered water. 8)

Me too. Need that coffee to get workin ASAP.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Previous

Return to Backpacking Gear and Such