Trekking poles---worth the hassle?

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: Kathy, Tara, Hockey Ref, dorf

Re: Trekking poles---worth the hassle?

Postby calicotraveler » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Great looking trekking pole! I'm sure you will put it to good use.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
calicotraveler

Postby TnTammy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:37 pm

Thanks Tammy and Mike. :D
[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/810/40150785054_6f701a8d65_b.jpg[/

Such Fun that trip Pete!! We packed in a lot and great times with you!

You guys have a good time this year in the Sawtooths!
I'll be up at Grinnell overlook again in September. I have 3 nights at Granite Park Chalet. Gonna try to get to Grinnell Mt peak and Iceberg Notch.

Thanks Pete, we’re excited to seek out the new. Kind Chatter friend Daschmit shared a bunch about Idaho so we’ve got lots to investigate.
Huge smile that you are headed back to Granite Park and jealous of your plans. Grinnell Mtn will be awesome! And as for Iceberg Notch, When we stood this summer at the creek looking up at Ahern Pass, it was just beautiful. I’ll be cheering for you getting to overlook Helen (a 2nd time, right) and going for the Notch. :arrow: Don’t forget extra good ear plugs for those Granite Park nights. :wink:

Cheers!

pete :wink:

PS

You and Mike remember this monster mule deer? For those who don't know...
This was July 27th. This mule deer buck had another month to grow his antlers!!
I would have loved to have seen him in September. 8)

unedited 25 seconds
https://youtu.be/R2r5-eTLQwA[/quote]
He was a Big Boy!! And so close to us up there at Swiftcurrent Pass. We sure had a glorious day on that descent back to Many.
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Postby daschmit » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:16 pm

Hikers who use trekking poles know from their own experience that trekking poles increase stability and reduce lower body joint stress. I ran across a study that you guys might be interested in, one that quantified the degree to which trekking poles improve hiking efficiency.

Participants “completed two hiking trials on consecutive days. Each athlete was randomly assigned to one of two groups. Group 1 acted as the control group and completed both trials without poles. Group 2 hiked the first day without poles and the second day with poles. Both trials were completed on Snow King Mountain in Jackson, WY. The hiking path was a 1000m (.62 mile) stretch of the mountain’s boot pack trail. The path covered approximately 3281ft of horizontal distance and 1556ft of vertical distance, giving the route an average grade of 47.4% (27.1 degrees).”

Without going into details on physiological parameters that were examined or precisely how their statistical data were analyzed, the bottom-line results of their study were as follows:

“To assess overall metabolic efficiency, we once again turned to the connection between HR and speed called: Heart Rate-Running Speed Index. . . . If trekking poles do improve efficiency, the effects should be seen as increases in the group’s Heart Rate-Running Speed Index.

As you can see in GRAPH 2, the trekking pole group experienced a 16.0% increase in efficiency (based on their HR-Running Speed Index) while the non-pole group experienced only a 5.0% increase. The means that the trekking pole group gained about 11.0% more efficiency. Our real-world results add weight to the laboratory studies which show that trekking poles can have a positive effect on uphill movement. . . . When hiking uphill at significant grade, under significant load (approximately 47% grade and 40% bodyweight), trekking poles increase efficiency by approximately 10% and decrease perceived effort by 20%.”

See http://mtntactical.com/research/steep-g ... efficient/.
daschmit

Previous

Return to Backpacking Gear and Such