Cold Meals on Extended trips

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: Kathy, Tara, Hockey Ref, dorf

Re: Cold Meals on Extended trips

Postby Ear Mountain » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:22 pm

Marmotman wrote:I make my jerky out of hamburger and then use a jerky shooter (think calking gun) to form either strips or sticks. The gas BBQ outside is great for initial heatup for killing cooties. Run the gas long enough to heat it up then turn off and repeat as necessary. Finish up with a low heat in the oven till dry. The BBQ also gets rid of any excess fat.

You paid for that fat when you bought the meat and it is a good source of energy. But I agree a lot of fat is undesirable. You might consider the much leaner bison meat. Using a whole cut of meat is also a way to control how much fat is in your jerky since you can purchase very lean cuts of meat.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Postby Stmarypete » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:11 am

Lot's of good ideas above! One of my favorites is a good cheese and the rosemary and olive oil triscuits. They travel well and can keep for quite awhile. I get tired of granola type bars and when you are dog tired on the trail and your apetite is poor you need tasty stuff. You will want a hard cheese, keep it wrapped and in the center of the pack if it is hot out. Also love hard salamie, needs to be kept cold, but ok for day hikes.
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Postby distressbark » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:57 am

I have found that tortillas and a jar of peanut butter do the trick for lunches on long trips. The peanut butter jar takes up a bit of space, but it's worth it to me in that it does not way much, is resealable and is delicious and loaded with energy. Being flat, the tortillas travel quite well. Bring along some cheese to mix it up if you begin to tire of PB.
- anders

"And what do the birds say? All there is to say about a massacre, things like Poo-tee-weet?"
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
distressbark

Postby isleroyaleguy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:25 pm

distressbark wrote:I have found that tortillas and a jar of peanut butter do the trick for lunches on long trips. The peanut butter jar takes up a bit of space, but it's worth it to me in that it does not way much, is resealable and is delicious and loaded with energy. Being flat, the tortillas travel quite well. Bring along some cheese to mix it up if you begin to tire of PB.

JIF has small 1/4 cup individual size container's. They come in 6 pk. And pack nicely. Skippy used to have small tubes that worked great also but I haven't found them for quite awhile.
IRG
isleroyaleguy
Donator
Donator

Postby Stmarypete » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:22 pm

I also really enjoy canned kippered herring on crackers. Just a little hard to take care of the used can. Can't beat the protein and they are tasty!
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Postby Selkie » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm

Peanut butter can be off-loaded into a plastic Tupperware-type container about the size of a Chobani yogurt cup (available almost everywhere), and placed inside a Zip-lock to keep oil inside. That plus cheese, some stable bread such as pumpernickel, chocolate, nuts, and fresh fruit (solid gold) are my backpacking food. Can add couscous (add water in a Zip-lock bag, leave in sun) plus dehydrated fish or small chicken packets + savory. Powdered milk an option. A cucumber for a treat.
I started doing cold-water camping to eliminate weight and bother of shipping a stove, finding fuel, etc. The only thing I really miss is a hot drink in the morning. Starbucks' Via is about half palatable in cold water. There are gadgets that will heat a cup of water.
Selkie
Donator
Donator

Postby Stmarypete » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:19 pm

Selkie, great suggestions! Anyone look into a solar heating device? Not to boil just to warm up stuff?
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Postby Marmotman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:34 pm

Another favorite of mine is smoked oysters. Make sure to bring a couple extra ziplocks to double or triple bag the tin afterwards though. They are packed with calories and quite tasty (for me at least). :mrgreen:
Marmotman

Postby Stmarypete » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:50 pm

I would like to see someone come up with some sort of solar food warmer that could sit on top or your pack and warm up food or a beverage while hiking. Something like Indian Madras Lentils could be warmed up and served on chips with cheese and salsa and makes fantastic natchos. I know there are some solar thermos bottle warmers out there, but they are both heavy and fragile. I sure do know that my head gets plenty warm on a hot day in the Sun, maybe I should just put them inside my hat?
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Previous

Return to Backpacking Gear and Such