Ultralight

Well, what's the best and what's the worst? Let's talk about all those things we carry to make our trips more comfortable...

Moderators: Kathy, Tara, Hockey Ref, dorf

Re: Ultralight

Postby Jen » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:13 pm

This discussion should probably move over the the Photography section unless you are both done arguing and comparing credentials. :roll:
Jen

Postby mikie » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:57 pm

Total agree! We need to get back to the original post.
mikie

Postby pitamakan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:09 pm

Jen wrote:This discussion should probably move over the the Photography section unless you are both done arguing and comparing credentials. :roll:

Agreed, Jen, that this has drifted off-topic ... but it's very unfortunate that the discussion would end with a post as unbelievably egregious as the one that preceded yours. :(
Last edited by pitamakan on Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pitamakan

Postby Stmarypete » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:48 pm

I think I will go back to my Canon Ftb 1. It's heavy, slow and durable, takes slide photos that are expensive to develope and can't connect to wireless systems. Nah, nevermind, still looking for loosing some weight in my backpacking equiptment.
Stmarypete
Donator
Donator

Postby pitamakan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:05 pm

petedoc@cableone.net wrote:I think I will go back to my Canon Ftb 1. It's heavy, slow and durable, takes slide photos that are expensive to develope and can't connect to wireless systems. Nah, nevermind, still looking for loosing some weight in my backpacking equiptment.

Heh ... the very last film shots I ever took were in Glacier! My poor old Nikon was forgotten in a pack that was being hung from a bear-pole, and it got dropped. :oops:
pitamakan

Postby ND Sol » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:17 pm

Jen wrote:This discussion should probably move over the the Photography section unless you are both done arguing and comparing credentials. :roll:

Jen,

My view is that we are here to share our experiences, knowledge and wisdom in order to enhance our limited time in Glacier and the outdoors, and to make it all that more rewarding. That was my primary reason for posting and a value I take seriously on this forum. Notwithstanding that poster’s belief that he can read my emotions in my being “personally offended”, that is far from the truth. Given my profession, I have to have a thick skin.

Notwithstanding the poster’s view, “If Ansel Adams told people how he got some of his shots and how he processed it in the dark room, do you think he would be famous?”, Adams was far from that model. He was a founding member of the Group f/64. Although he could not serve on active duty during WWII, he taught photography to Army officers in support of the war effort. As biographer James Alinder wrote, "His activities in support of photography as an art form also expanded. He increased his teaching and published accounts of the technique he codified, the Zone System. He also established academic departments for teaching photography and organized photography exhibitions." I have heard the stories of his willingness to share and advance the art of photography.

But if a poster wants to chide techniques that are used successfully by photographers every day while refusing to disclose publicly-available software and workflows that may make our lives easier, then, to me, that is inapposite to the purpose of this board. (Heck, he doesn’t even know how to spell the only program he favorably mentions (and he does it thrice).) Perhaps I ran into an anomaly, but the photography club with which I am associated is all about sharing experiences, knowledge and wisdom. It is not about keeping secrets and then chastising workflows without presenting alternatives.

My view is his bottom line is something along the lines of, “Your workflow and tools are archaic, but I am not about to tell what publicly-available programs I use because I don’t want to share; I just want to bloviate.” So much hubris as far as I am concerned. As such, I also don’t see any need to continue the discussion.
ND Sol
Donator
Donator

Postby Jen » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:27 pm

This topic is now locked.

Petedoc: If you need further camera recommendations please resubmit your inquiry in the photog section :)
Jen

Previous

Return to Backpacking Gear and Such