Hikes For Your Best Friend's 1st Visit

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: Ear Mountain, Jen, Tara, Kathy

Re: Hikes For Your Best Friend's 1st Visit

Postby NJ Scott » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:32 pm

Here are five "Todd-like" hikes for those best friends seeking a full day:

- Dawson/Pitamakan
- Logan to Many (Hockey Ref)
- Siyeh Pass
- Belly trailhead to Many (Ptarmigan Tunnel)
- Grinnell (Angel Wing if possible)

After they are hooked, you can take them on some of the off trail hikes like Shangra-La, Snow Moon basin, and Natahki Lake/Altyn.
NJ Scott

Postby Jay w » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:37 pm

Hey all, home sick today, so I'm catching up. I think I'd attack this a different way. Carol has a point.

1. I'd start at Many Glacier. You can hike about any direction, but Iceberg Lake, then Grinnell Glacier, and then Cracker Lake. Each of these is a pretty significant hike (10-12 miles RT and a couple feet of vertical), so I think the average person probably won't stack these back-to-back. Pick two or three of these and you'll be good for 5 days.
2. Logan Pass area. Highline (with option to Many Glacier--15 miles), Hidden Lake (even going down to Hidden Lake), and the Siyeh Pass loop (ok, it's close to Logan). Both the Highline and Siyeh are significant hikes again, and most people probably won't do more than 3 significant hikes in a week vacation unless they're athletes.
3. Two Medicine is beautiful, but the main hikes (Pit-Daw, Scenic, Cobalt) in that area are really stout unless you do a shorter out and back hike. I'd probably skip that on the first trip unless the hikers are in shape. Then Dawson-Pitamakin is excellent, but also 19 miles. I first heard about this hike from a guy that ran the route.
4. Then there's the "I'm tired and going to stroll for a while," hikes. St. Mary Falls/Virginia Falls/and even Hidden Falls, and on the west side, Avalanche Gorge. You can extend the gorge to Avalanche lake if you feel good. You can also drive up to Polebridge and then Bowman Lake, and that'll kill a day very quickly :D

So maybe a longer hike like Iceberg, then the waterfalls, a longer hike, then Logan Pass for Hidden Lake, then a longer hike, you get the idea. Add beer or wine seasoning to taste.

Jay (remember me?) W
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby brindledog » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:34 pm

All good suggestions, and proof that even short or less popular/scenic hikes beat a walk most other places.

I recommended Hidden Lake, and we have always enjoyed that hike. I have to say, last year it was 'standing room only' at the shoreline, which has never been the case in the 10 years prior...and someone was flying a drone over the lake for most of the time we were there. :cry:
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:02 pm

Here are mine not in any particular order of preference.

Siyeh Pass--Siyeh Bend to Sunrift Gorge
Grinnell Glacier--(add Angelwing for those able)
Iceberg Lake--(make it a loop with ShangriLa for those able)
The Highline to the Loop via Granite Park--(Make it The HockeyRef Hike to Swiftcurrent for those able)
Hidden Lake--(add the Dragon's Tail--false summit for those able)

pete :wink:
America--"The Per-Click Driven Economy". What could possibly go wrong? 8)
PeteE

Postby davidwayne » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Just saw this thread! Here's mine...

Siyeh to Sunrift
Highline to Swiftcurrent (Hockey Ref)
Grinnell Glacier
Cracker Lake
Iceberg Lake
Last edited by davidwayne on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
davidwayne

Postby MarxMN » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:06 pm

I would suggest these. They are the hikes I have done most frequently over 35 years of visits.

Siyeh Pass (Siyeh Bend to Sunrift Gorge although the opposite direction is also good and provides a different perspective - much more "uphill" though).
Grinnell Glacier (and, yes, add Angel Wing if up for a bit more adventure).
Highline - Logan Pass over Swiftcurrent Pass (and Swiftcurrent Lookout) is spectacular but Logan Pass to the Loop is a good hike too. I am still amazed how the 2006 fire changed the portion from Granite Park to the Loop.
Ptarmigan Tunnel (could add Iceberg Lake too) - the tunnel is a fascinating engineering feat and the far side of tunnel provides a great view of the Belly River area.
and the bonus hike is in Canada - Carthew-Alderson-Summit - it is a hike in Waterton in Canada but for the first part of the hike a good share of the scenery is in Glacier.
MarxMN
Donator
Donator

Postby joybird » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:01 pm

Lots of good choices already listed, but here are two of my favorites that are a bit less "popular".

1. Triple Divide Pass...a gentle start, with river and woods and the beckoning valley ahead...then the long, switchback-less ascent with the views that just keep getting better...and the reward of getting the view over the the other side once you get to the pass. And, for the more ambitious, a peak that, with my friends' patient encouragement, even *I* was able to summit this past summer. Plus, a chance at glimpsing a griz down below near Medicine Grizzly Lake.

2. Starting at Siyeh Bend, heading up to Piegan Pass and then continuing over and down to Lower Grinnell Lake and then over to Many Glacier Hotel. I don't remember the exact mileage offhand (13-ish?) but one of the things I love about it is how, despite the insanely beautiful views and the bonus waterfall, you'll see very few people once you get over the pass. Can be VERY windy though!
joybird
Donator
Donator

Postby paul » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:41 am

joybird wrote:Lots of good choices already listed, but here are two of my favorites that are a bit less "popular".

2. Starting at Siyeh Bend, heading up to Piegan Pass and then continuing over and down to Lower Grinnell Lake and then over to Many Glacier Hotel. I don't remember the exact mileage offhand (13-ish?) but one of the things I love about it is how, despite the insanely beautiful views and the bonus waterfall, you'll see very few people once you get over the pass. Can be VERY windy though!

I agree, it's sort of like the Hockey Ref hike without all the people!
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
paul
Donator
Donator

Postby smahurin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:14 pm

Dawson-Pitamakan
Highline
Siyeh
Ptarmigan
Grinnell Glacier

I really wanted to figure out a way to include something more off the beaten path, but there is a reason the popular hikes are ON the beaten path.
smahurin

Previous

Return to Hiking