Can't decide between two backcountry hikes, need help!

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: Ear Mountain, Tara, Kathy

Post Reply
jmoore15
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:14 pm
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Can't decide between two backcountry hikes, need help!

Post by jmoore15 »

Hello! I am thinking of doing one of the following hikes and cannot decide:

Hike 1

Sept 14th- Highline Loop trail to Granite (GRN) campground

Sept 15th- Hike to Fifty Mountain (FIF) campground

Sept 16th- Hike to Flattop Mountain (FLA) campground

Sept 17th- Hitch hike back to parking lot

Hike 2

Sept 14th- Hike to Brown Pass (BRO) campground

Sept 15th- Hike to Hole in the wall (HOL) and back to BRO

Sept 16th- Hike to Bowman Lake (BOW) campground

Sept 17th- Hike back to parking lot and checkout Bowman Lake

I am looking for the most beautiful and enjoyable hike I can find and it's split between these two. Any ideas or recommendations?

Also, a side note. For GRN -> FIF -> FLA, I have read that this isn’t the preferred route because the scenic area is to your back the whole way (i.e. you should do FLA -> FIF -> GRN).
Anyone have any experience with this or recommendations? Is one way or the other preferable? Thanks!

PeteE
Posts: 3127
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:20 pm
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11
Location: Kalispell Montana
Contact:

Re: Can't decide between two backcountry hikes, need help!

Post by PeteE »

I am looking for the most beautiful and enjoyable hike I can find and it's split between these two. Any ideas or recommendations
I think most everyone here would agree that the itinerary including the Hole-In-The-Wall would be the FAR better choice---if you can get it.
You'll need to be in line at the BackCountry permit office at 0400 if you want the best chance at getting any permit with HOL included.
I would suggest that unless you are time constrained, that you accept any itinerary that would include HOL.

Also keep in mind that transportation logistics are VERY difficult if you get an itinerary where you begin at HOL and end at BOW or vice versa.
Hitching is possible but that late in the year could be difficult.

Also, a side note. For GRN -> FIF -> FLA, I have read that this isn’t the preferred route because the scenic area is to your back the whole way (i.e. you should do FLA -> FIF -> GRN).
Anyone have any experience with this or recommendations? Is one way or the other preferable? Thanks!
Personally, I wouldn't want to hike UP to Flattop, but DOWN from flattop on the way to Packer's Roost.
I would do it beginning at Logan Pass-->GRN-->FIF-->FLA--out at Packers Roost.
You will need two cars or hitchhike from Packers Roost. NO shuttle service.


As far as the scenery...you'll be walking more or less parallel to the "scenery" either way you go.
I wouldn't consider that a factor.

my 2 cents

pete :wink:

PS
You will need some luck with the weather too.
It might be nice...but then you would also need gear to be prepared for some serious winter weather.
So keep a VERY close eye on weather reports.
"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

jmoore15
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:14 pm
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Can't decide between two backcountry hikes, need help!

Post by jmoore15 »

PeteE wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:45 pm
Thanks for the response! Any guess how low the temperatures will be? I have a 0F rated sleeping bag (15F for comfort) plus warm wool clothing and am assuming it should be enough. So far via https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/wrh/rec/index.php?wfo=GNP I look alright.

PeteE
Posts: 3127
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:20 pm
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11
Location: Kalispell Montana
Contact:

Re: Can't decide between two backcountry hikes, need help!

Post by PeteE »

jmoore15 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:15 pm
PeteE wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:45 pm
Thanks for the response! Any guess how low the temperatures will be? I have a 0F rated sleeping bag (15F for comfort) plus warm wool clothing and am assuming it should be enough. So far via https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/wrh/rec/index.php?wfo=GNP I look alright.
This site is better than NOAA..imo :)
https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks ... casts/2571

Well...so far you'll probably be OK on the weather. BUT...
1) Predicting weather that far out is risky business.
2) The right gear is something only you can decide.
3) Wind is also a huge factor along with temps. And wind velocities are completely unpredictable in any given location...imo.

So you'll have to decide what's best for you. I know that's not much of an answer but it's the best I can do.

pete :wink:
"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

jmoore15
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:14 pm
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Can't decide between two backcountry hikes, need help!

Post by jmoore15 »

PeteE wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:25 pm
:
Yep I gotcha. I only have a three season tent, do you think I should get a 4 season? Not sure if it’s too early to tell :lol:

PeteE
Posts: 3127
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:20 pm
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11
Location: Kalispell Montana
Contact:

Re: Can't decide between two backcountry hikes, need help!

Post by PeteE »

jmoore15 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:59 pm
PeteE wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:25 pm
:
Yep I gotcha. I only have a three season tent, do you think I should get a 4 season? Not sure if it’s too early to tell :lol:
I wouldn't buy a 4 season tent for this trip given the probable weather.
If the weather were to get bad enough to require a 4 season tent, it's very likely you shouldn't be out there in it.
Glacier Park can be a very unforgiving place in winter weather in the areas you're considering.
A poorly pitched tent, even a quality tent, that blows away can create a life threatening situation if you get wet.
So again, imo...a GOOD 3 season tent that can be pitched to withstand 30mph+ gusty winds should be good...unless the forecast changes.
But I'm not going to "opine" on brands of tents I think are good. 8)
Good luck on getting a permit.
Better to be an hour, or two early than a minute late in the permit line.
Bring a book and coffee :)

pete
"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

User avatar
paul
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1389
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:42 pm
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11
Location: MA

Re: Can't decide between two backcountry hikes, need help!

Post by paul »

PeteE wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:45 pm

Also keep in mind that transportation logistics are VERY difficult if you get an itinerary where you begin at HOL and end at BOW or vice versa.
Hitching is possible but that late in the year could be difficult.[/b]
I think he's looking to do an in and out from Bowman lake TH. Hiking to Brown pass, day hiking to HOL, then hiking out the same way. So the transportation logistics wouldn't be an issue.

If it were me I would try to do the Kintla to Bowman loop even though the transportation might be an issue. The scenery is the best that Glacier has to offer as long as the weather holds out.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir

Post Reply