New latrine at Hole?

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: Ear Mountain, Kathy, Tara

New latrine at Hole?

Postby Jay w » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:47 am

In Joey's most excellent video, he said they were flying the latrine out of Hole in the Wall. I'm wondering if this is a yearly deal, are they putting in a new one, or do they just fly it around to air it out? :D Also, I don't recall Joey's trip was 2015 or 16, so maybe a new one is in there.

Jay

I was gonna put the subject as "New hole at hole?" but I don't really wanna get banned just yet. :lol:
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Re: New latrine at Hole?

Postby Jen » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:04 am

I think they pull it every year. Part of the opening day (8/1) involves making sure the loo is in place.
Jen

Postby joybird » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:08 pm

I believe Joey's video was from 2016. So they flew it out this past fall.

I had never heard that they pulled it every year. I assumed that they just had to check it out to make sure the solar composting system was working.

But this year, boy, it really needed to go. When I was at Hole over the summer, it looked like the Leaning Tower of Piss-a.

A far cry from how brand-spanking-new and sturdy it had looked the last time I was there (in 2013).

(Plus, something wasn't working right so they were asking people to pee behind it. Was pretty smelly out back! :shock: )
Last edited by joybird on Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
joybird
Donator
Donator

Postby Jen » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:13 pm

joybird wrote: I assumed that they just had to check it out to make sure the solar composting system was working.

Yes, That must be what I was thinking of. :oops:
Jen

Postby paul » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:01 pm

Two years ago a volunteer ranger was there to fix the the fan & power system for the outhouse. He told me that they were having issues with the system and if they can't fix it they would have to close the campground for good. Apparently it's a special system at HOL. Since there are about 5 streams that run through the campground you can have a traditional outhouse. They may be doing something to replace the current system which seems to be having issues.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
paul
Donator
Donator

Postby smahurin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:53 pm

They don't pull it out every year. It gets pretty beat up by the high snow depth at hole in the wall (I would assume it gets buried under 20-40ft of snow during the winter). I remember going through there in 2014 and you could see where things were headed. As a structural engineer, I'd love for the park services to give my firm a contract to go do site investigation and design!!! Sign us up.

To paul's point I think there was some literature in the outhouse describing how the system works. I think it's an unusually deep pit (40-50ft if I remember correctly) and they rely on the fan to dry out and desiccate the "material" since waste is something like 85% water. I know nothing about it... other than my vague memory reading the literature in the outhouse. Thought it was interesting at least...
smahurin

Return to Hiking