Best Hikes for 3rd Week In June (June 21-22)

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: Ear Mountain, Kathy, Tara

Best Hikes for 3rd Week In June (June 21-22)

Postby Masfaith3 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am

So we are flying into Bozeman, Montana for a conference June 23 and thought we'd go a couple days early experience a dream of hiking in Glacier. I'm wondering what trails will be open that you guys recommend. I'm kinda bummed as it seems that we'll be missing out on the best ones but I'm wondering if there are portions of Iceberg, Grimmel Glacier, or Highline, that might be open. Thanks guys!
-Leah
Masfaith3

Re: Best Hikes for 3rd Week In June (June 21-22)

Postby PeteE » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:05 pm

Check your private messages.
pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby llholmes1948 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi Leah,

Pete has been in the Park several times already this year so his advice would be current and timely.

I would suggest checking on the Park's trail status page even though sometimes it is not that current and also check at the Visitors Centers in St. Mary or Apgar for the latest trail info.

I would recommend considering the following:

Iceberg Lake (You should be able to go most of the way to the Lake. I don't believe the bridge over Iceberg Creek has been installed but you be able to hike up to or near the Lake without crossing the creek - Pete will know for sure.)
Cracker Lake (check on the conditions - maybe considerable snow on the upper section of the trail but hopefully you can follow the trail okay but do check on the conditions as some friends and I lost the trail while crossing a snowfield years ago but we eventually found it.)
Something around Two Medicine - maybe Scenic Point or South Shore trail (Paradise Creek bridge is installed)
Apgar Lookout
Avalanche Lake (There will be a crowd but go anyway)
A drive up to the North Fork area (Bowman Lake and Kintla Lake)

I doubt that Grinnell Glacier or Highline trail will be open. However if the Sun Road is open while you are there but the Highline trail is not, I would suggest giving serious consideration to hiking up the Loop Trail to the Granite Park area. Years ago I would never have recommended this as it is a tough uphill hike but having done it somewhat late in life, I have come to realize that it is not as crazy as I previously thought and it is worth doing if the Highline hasn't opened yet.

Hope you have a great time and please post a report of your trip.

Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Postby MarxMN » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:30 am

The lower destinations in the belly River area should be open - Elizabeth Lake or Cosley Lake. Again, check the Park's trail status page.

Belly River is the most distant location in Glacier if you are coming from Bozeman.
MarxMN
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:41 am

llholmes1948 wrote:Hi Leah,

Pete has been in the Park several times already this year so his advice would be current and timely.

Lyman

Yup, that I have.
Looking at dates in my picture files, something like 40-50 trips since Jan1.
And while my advice may be current and timely, it's a separate question as to whether my opinions are worth anything. 8)

:arrow:

pete :wink:

PeteE

Return to Hiking