Crampons?

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: Ear Mountain, Kathy, Tara

Crampons?

Postby djallen35 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:54 am

I will be in Glacier July 20th-28th this year. I have a backcountry permit from the 22nd-25th that takes me over Triple Divide, Pitamakan, and Dawson passes. I know this year was a big snow year but it seems to be melting nicely.

My question:
Would it be worth it to start looking into having crampons on this route for that time of year? Or should I just wait till closer to the trip? Will the trails be icy or just snow? I know its hard to predict all this but I'm a planner :roll: . I'd rather buy $50 crampons or microspikes than give up this route.

Any advice or input is appreciated!

Dan
djallen35

Re: Crampons?

Postby PeteE » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:37 am

I seriously doubt you'll need crampons or MicroSpikes that late in July for that particular itinerary.
And with delivery times less than a week, I wouldn't buy anything just yet, especially crampons which will run over $100.00

If you keep in touch here, someone will undoubtedly have current information on that route as the season progresses.

Personally, I think you'll be fine. Probably won't need any traction aides at all.
There was a snowfield or two coming down to Pitamakan pass when I backpacked DAW-PIT in 2010.
No big deal and I just had boots.

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby djallen35 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:23 am

PeteE wrote:I seriously doubt you'll need crampons or MicroSpikes that late in July for that particular itinerary.
And with delivery times less than a week, I wouldn't buy anything just yet, especially crampons which will run over $100.00

If you keep in touch here, someone will undoubtedly have current information on that route as the season progresses.

Personally, I think you'll be fine. Probably won't need any traction aides at all.
There was a snowfield or two coming down to Pitamakan pass when I backpacked DAW-PIT in 2010.
No big deal and I just had boots.

pete :wink:

Thanks for the quick reply Pete! Definitely don't want to buy/carry them around if its not necessary. My boots have very good traction so hopefully that's all that is needed. I've been reading the trail status reports to try and get an idea of the melt but they are obviously not up to date.
djallen35

Postby llholmes1948 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:53 pm

I agree with Pete. There is going to be a month's worth of melting between now and then and I would expect trail conditions to be much improved by the time you get here.

And don't forget, if you do find that you need equipment for this hike you should be able to purchase or rent it at the Glacier Outdoor Center in West Glacier and you can check their website or give them a call to see what they have available.

https://glacierraftco.com/glacier-outdoor-store/

Hope you have a great trip and please post a report.

Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Postby djallen35 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:07 pm

llholmes1948 wrote:I agree with Pete. There is going to be a month's worth of melting between now and then and I would expect trail conditions to be much improved by the time you get here.

And don't forget, if you do find that you need equipment for this hike you should be able to purchase or rent it at the Glacier Outdoor Center in West Glacier and you can check their website or give them a call to see what they have available.

https://glacierraftco.com/glacier-outdoor-store/

Hope you have a great trip and please post a report.

Lyman

Thanks Lyman! Hopefully I won't need them but its good to know they'll be available if needed. I will definitely post a trip report along with lots of photos!
djallen35

Return to Hiking