Avalanche Trail Closed

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: Ear Mountain, Kathy, Tara

Avalanche Trail Closed

Postby llholmes1948 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:41 pm

Link to item in the Flathead Beacon. Not sure if the real reason that Avalanche Trail was closed was due to bears or people.

http://flatheadbeacon.com/2017/06/19/gl ... sightings/
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Re: Avalanche Trail Closed

Postby here-we-go » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:17 am

I saw this as well. I'm fascinated that people did anything that could remotely be described as "nearly surrounding" a grizzly. :shock:
here-we-go

Postby PeteE » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:15 am

here-we-go wrote:I saw this as well. I'm fascinated that people did anything that could remotely be described as "nearly surrounding" a grizzly. :shock:

I'm not shocked at all that people would do something as stupid as surrounding a grizzly bear. I see this sort of dumb behavior every year at GNP.

I saw a similar "attitude" this past Saturday when I was leaving Many Glacier. As I drove by Windy Creek, two cars were stopped by the road.
I glimpsed two black bears, a sow and a large cub(2nd year) that were about 50-75yds from the road. I pulled over about 50 yards ahead and walked back with my camera.
When I got back to where the cars were I didn't see the cub, only the sow.
Here is a 20 second clip of the sow I made when I was back among the "watchers".
https://youtu.be/kZZauwArBOg

There was a fellow and his wife watching the sow. The guy had his toddler son on his shoulders and his other boy who was maybe 3 standing with him.
With his iphone in hand, he said he was going to walk out a ways for a picture! Did we think it was OK.
I told him it was foolish since the cub was not visible. Nobody knew where the cub was. That and the sow would also move out of sight intermittently.
The terrain was a mix of grass and shrubs. Watch the short clip I made of the sow..
It would be nothing short of insane to walk out towards those bears in terrain like that. I wouldn't do it and y'all know the risks I take with animals.
The guy walked out a little ways anyway with his toddler son on his shoulders--neither bear visible at the time. Mom had the 3 year old.
I was hungry, the bears weren't visible, and so I turned to leave only to hear this idiot's wife say, and this is a near quote:
"We go to Yosemite a lot and the bears there never bother anyone."
I'm thinking, "What f'ing morons these parents are---and on Father's Day weekend no less."
As I walked away, I told that woman, "This is NOT Yosemite" and let it go at that. People like these parents never learn until tragedy strikes.

I've seen people at Logan Pass frequently surrounding, or nearly surrounding goats and sheep.
This sort of behavior by visitors is more common than you think.
And another thing people frequently do is--Run towards animals to get closer for a picture. :shock:
Not too smart folks. Not too smart, especially for those who are clueless about animal behavior.
It would be nice if visitors would inform themselves about animals. Maybe actually read the signs and material the park puts out?
Do a little reading at home before you come out here. These animals are not "zoo animals".
Some animals may be somewhat "conditioned" to people that visit, but...
At the end of the day, all these animals are still WILD...and should be regarded as such.
So don't be stupid out here, especially with your children.

pete :wink:

PS
Incidents like the above reminded me of the old saying:
Those who know not, and know not that they know not; they are fools, shun them.
PeteE

Postby here-we-go » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:19 pm

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I'm projecting my healthy fear onto everyone else.

In 2015 we were in Yellowstone, we were crossing that bridge (in our car) in the NE corner (near Lamar Valley) that was in that infamous clip of people running off the bridge on foot (iirc, the bears were below and people had parked and walked out and then were surprised when they showed up on the bridge and tried to cross it). Anyway, a black bear was crossing the road (not the bridge) and a family stopped their vehicle in the middle of the bridge and backtracked on foot. It was amazing to watch them realize, in real time, how dumb they were (how close, how few options they had if the bear turned) and they went running back to their car.
here-we-go

Postby brindledog » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:41 pm

It is a shame that people do not respect wildlife. It puts the animals at risk and it puts others at risk - and not just those present when the animals are approached. I know everyone on this forum knows that. It is amazing and disappointing to hear of these stories year after year.

Pete,
You showed more self-control than I would have. For that, I commend you.
:D
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:47 pm

brindledog wrote:...Pete,
You showed more self-control than I would have. For that, I commend you.
:D

Thanks Meg
Twas 6PM and I was tired and hungry. Been up since 0330 and was unhappy with the crummy weather...blah blah.
So I just decided for once to shut up and just leave.
Not usually my nature for sure. This T-shirt is a fave of mine...and more indicative of my style 8)

cheers
pete :wink:

PS

https://youtu.be/vB58ac_Boko
15 minutes later I got a short clip of this black bear. I thought about getting out and walking up the hill for a better shot.
Much more open ground and I was still wearing bear spray.
Nobody was around after the car in front left and nobody coming either way. Might have gotten some good video.
But, aside from being tired and hungry, I was wearing my Crocs...not so good for the terrain.
So I left.
I saw a third black bear later that evening laying on the ground, just a couple feet off the Sun Road, near the "hidden pond" that isn't so hidden now.
No chance for video as he/she bolted when I slowed down.
PeteE

Return to Hiking