Iceberg Trail closed

Have you taken a great hike or want to? Post a note here about the various trails and hikes in the park.

Moderators: Ear Mountain, Kathy, Tara

Iceberg Trail closed

Postby llholmes1948 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:10 pm

I see from the trail status reports that the Iceberg Lake and Ptarmigan Lake trails are closed due to bears. I hope this isn't going to be like the period for several years around 2008 when it seemed like the trail was closed due to bears for much of the summer. Some people reported making trips to Glacier for several years in a row and found the Iceberg trail was closed each time they were in the Park.

I also noticed a ranger reported a lot of damage to beargrass on the Gunsight Trail evidently caused by visitors. First time I have ever seen a report of that nature :shock:

Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Re: Iceberg Trail closed

Postby PeteE » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:06 pm

Bummer about Iceberg Lake trail.
The bear grass bloom is awesome on that trail.
Speaking of which....

I saw a lot of broken off bear grass stems with blooms attached on the Siyeh/Piegan trail last Friday afternoon. I didn't see many in the AM going up.
I wondered about it at the time.

More "silly tourists" at work? :?
Nearly ruined my whole day 8)

pete :wink:
PeteE

Re: Iceberg Trail closed

Postby here-we-go » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:08 am

I noticed reports of this trail being closed as well. We're still 3 weeks out, but I should be researching some plan Bs anyway. :)

(and from the department of social media, I actually had noticed that there weren't new Instagram photos geo-tagged with Iceberg lake for a few days. I wondered if there was a snafu with Instagram and then read about the trail closing.)
here-we-go

Return to Hiking