2018 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: 2018 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Postby PeteE » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:49 pm

I wonder if the guy was a UK special ops guy?
I talked to a former SAS guy in Scotland who ran a little mountaineering shop; they like doing those long ,hard treks. 8)

Anyway, back to the present.
I left Whitefish at 0353 this morning. 3 hours exactly to Swiftcurrent parking lot.(3hours back too)
The hike took 7 hours RT to where we stopped. You can get to the beach if you want to cross the snow bridge over the outlet creek.
We stayed well up on the scree slope north of the lake...kind of straight up from the outlet melt pond.
Better view of the lake from up there.

My hiking partner for the day hooked up with me in the parking lot.
Great guy. More on him later. I have to EAT!!!!!!!
Been a long day driving. I'll try to get a report done soon.

However, before I go...
I had to leave y'all with a snapshot and a very special video clip for chatter ND :arrow:

Runs 30 seconds.
https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/GNP-L ... -ttrc8dh/A

Not nearly as much snow up there as I expected.
PeteE

Postby dpratt » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:42 am

I am very surprised by the small amount of snow up there. I assumed it would still look like winter. I haven't been up there (unfortunately) since late June of 1997 and that entire basin was still a winter wonderland after that big snow year. Other than by the outlet where water was flowing, the lake was still completely frozen and covered by snow.
dpratt
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Postby PeteE » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:41 pm

dpratt wrote:I am very surprised by the small amount of snow up there. I assumed it would still look like winter. I haven't been up there (unfortunately) since late June of 1997 and that entire basin was still a winter wonderland after that big snow year. Other than by the outlet where water was flowing, the lake was still completely frozen and covered by snow.

Yeah, I was really surprised as well. I've seen more snow than this twice in early July.
Weird how snow works.

I was concerned about having to walk back in a T-Storm and rain. You'll get an idea how quickly bad weather can approach. Before you know it, the storm is on you.
No storm this time.

PeteE

Postby Jay w » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:49 pm

Love seeing MG early in the season. Thanks for the update.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby Jay w » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:34 am

Did you make it to the lake? Did you go around the high side of the outlet pond to avoid the stream?

Snow bridges ok...didn't feel like you were going to fall to your death in a cave of ice cold running water?

Jay

Kind of half kidding and half not.
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:36 am

Jay w wrote:Did you make it to the lake? Did you go around the high side of the outlet pond to avoid the stream?

Snow bridges ok...didn't feel like you were going to fall to your death in a cave of ice cold running water?

Jay

Kind of half kidding and half not.

Hey Jay :)

No, We didn't go down to the lake.
I kept us hiking high up on the scree/snow on the north side of the lake---approximately where the red dots are.
If I get out there any time soon, I'll retrieve my GPS which I left on the "big rock" where we sat to eat. 8) &$&#%@^!!!!!!!

There was a group of 4 people ahead of us who went around over to the bottom of Iceberg Notch--where I went last year.
I just felt it wasn't safe to take "Atsen" over there under the circumstances. I felt responsible for him.

The snow bridge across the outlet creek was still there, but don't know if it was crossable.

If you look at the pics you'll see nice blue sky early on.
However, I could see the predicted small "front" moving in over the divide--and you can see it in the pics as we get closer to the lake.
First, I saw the high cirrus streaming across the cirque wall; then the thicker grey clouds.

My hiking companion had no proper rain gear and I was worried that if all hell broke loose, he'd get soaked--the jacket he had wasn't waterproof.
That and I wasn't too keen on walking back in a T-Storm and driving rain--that snow can be tricky to walk on.
Plus I don't believe my companion had much, if any, experience walking on snow in these conditions.
He's from Malaysia. This trip out West was a treat to himself for finishing his Masters in "Financial Mathematics" at NC State.
The sky and weather was crap for images so we ate lunch and headed back.

Situations like this are precisely why I always carry rain gear.
No rain this time, but around Glacier Park you just never know.

pete :wink:

PeteE

Postby al_in_al » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:04 pm

Love this shot! I don't comment frequently, but I do read and appreciate all the updates.
PeteE wrote:Image
al_in_al

Postby PeteE » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:38 am

Thanks Jessica!
To all of you
It looks like my ISP went out of business.
Only have phone for now. So wont be here as much.
Im sure that makes some of you happy. 8)

PeteE

Postby PeteE » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:31 pm

It wasn't my ISP after all. Seems all of Western MT's internet got whacked?
Dunno. I don't have TV and don't listen to the radio.
When I got to work I heard that a tree fell on a Spectrum line or something.
Whatever, it's good now.

PS

Jay,

Maybe you/I/we will find my GPS.
It should be sitting on, or next to a large rock that will be easy to spot.
It's high enough on the scree slope that I doubt anyone will be wandering by any time soon.
One of Hank's marmot cousins has a den under that rock. He made a face at me when I refused to feed him. 8)
That GPS "body" is undoubtedly sweat soaked.
So I wouldn't be totally surprised if it got carried away.
PeteE

Postby llholmes1948 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:20 am

Pete,

Great to see those early season photos. I am a bit surprised there wasn't more snow on the trails.

When my daughter and I hiked to Iceberg in early June 2007, one thing we noticed was that goats were in the lower meadows not far above the trail - at much lower elevations than you would see them in the summer. We saw the same thing a day later on the north shore trail at Two Medicine. Since we were only doing some low elevation hikes that were open, we weren't expecting to see goats but there they were.

Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Postby ND » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:50 pm

I had to leave y'all with a snapshot and a very special video clip for chatter ND

LOL! Really I did laugh out loud. First thing I thought about was last year on our hike back from Grinnell Glacier. You are about 20 feet in front of me and make this quick move bending over going off the trail into the bushes. Seriously, I thought you were having a stroke or something. Then you come up all smiling with your little squirming friend. I thought this park was far enough north to avoid these little guys. :shock: There will never come a day when I ever pick up a snake! I mean that sincerely. :lol: Thanks for the laugh.
ND

Postby ND » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:36 pm

Hey Pete hope you don't mind if I post what is I think is the quintessential "Glacier Pete" photo. Took this with my phone and just ran across it today while perusing last year's Glacier trip photos. :)

ND

Postby PeteE » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:22 am

Naw, I don't mind at all. Very flattering :D
Post anything you you want.
On another subject...
I hiked out to the Dragon's Tail false summit yesterday to see how much snow remained---plenty.
Awesome day and have many snaps and video.
The BADnews is I somehow got a blister on my left big toe--first blister in over 6 years :evil:
Looks bad...maybe infected already. I had a similar occurance 20 years ago in same toe. That time my foot swelled up badly in less than 24 hours.
At the VA now to see about getting antibiotics now..sighs :(
Couldn't happen at a worse time. SUPER busy with heavy lifting job at work. And maybe disappointing a gal who wanted to do the DT.
This month has been a disaster.

Ill see about pics of the DT tonight.
The park is slammed with visitors just like the past few years. Logan pass parking was full by 0830.
Grizzly bear hanging around Logan, so take care around there.
The Piegan pass trailhead at Siyeh bend still has a signific snow hazard(imo) on the trail the first 150 yards or so until it turns up hill.
Pictures of that too later on.

PeteE

Postby PeteE » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:39 pm

YeeeeeeHawww!!

Bottom line is my toe was "probably" not infected, but red and swollen from "trauma".
Most likely from a combination of hiking too much off the snow in MicroSpikes--a habit I have to reduce putting them on and off when having multiple snow fields to cross.
Aggravated by a lot of kicking in the snow, and jogging down the board walk at times.
I have to be a bit more "disciplined" about such in the future. 8)

She did prescribe a 7 day course of antibiotics to ensure that if an infection is trying to get established, that it gets knocked out now.
I'm leery of antibiotics.
However, 20 years ago, that same toe got infected and "my foot blew up" in 12 hours with a nasty infection and blood poisoning--the "red streak up my leg".
I had to go three days 24/7 with foot elevated along with antibiotics.

And anbd Doc told me that she is very confident I'll be good to go come the 17th!
:arrow:

Working on snaps and video from the Dragon's tail hike yesterday.
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:53 pm

The Dragon's Tail 7-8-2018

I took Sunday off to go do the Dragon's Tail and see how much snow remained on the route--in a word, lots. 8)
A chatter here is interested in doing it next week.
However it was still very "doable" imo.
The video coming later probably describes conditions much better.

Here's a few "snaps" from the hike.

The "unnamed ridge" right of Reynolds Mt still has a fair amount of snow to traverse before reaching the first saddle.

And so does the Hidden Lake trail. MicroSpikes came in very handy for me. I saw people slipping and sliding wearing all sorts of "shoes", including cowboy boots with leather soles, and many were jealous of my spikes 8)

Taken from the Hidden Lake overlook. I was a little concerned about the too small snow fields just left of the large one under the second saddle.
After getting there I saw they both could be bypassed by going over them.

After leaving the trail, this is the first of three long(ish) traverses on snow. Reynolds Mt dominates the view walking out. I LOVE that mountain now that I've been to the summit 8)

This is the second one to cross.

looking back after crossing. Nice view of the Garden Wall in the background. This was the last one on the south end of the ridge just before turning the corner and going to the first saddle.It had two trails across it, one low, the other high.
Although a steeper slope to traverse, I took the high one since it was shorter and I didn't lose any gained elevation.

The two snowfields on the back of Reynolds were frozen hard when I crossed them. Bad run out on both but I didn't feel much like going over them.
See the big rocks at the bottom of the first? The second runs down several hundred feet. No telling how fast you'd be going at the bottom of that one given a frozen surface.

Looking back after crossing the second snow field. And yeah, the camera is "level" and that thing is pretty steep when you're on it 8)

View of Hidden Lake from the first saddle. I like this shot because I have lots of pics of the lake from up here but none with snow/ice in the lake.
The color of the water was just incredible. None of these snaps have been cropped or edited save for adjusting shadows and highlights. No color manipulation.

Every trip up here has a "money shot". I like this one for this trip. This is a two pane panographic. Not bad for a lil P&S camera huh? 8)
Gets chopped off here. Open the link below

[img]https://photos.smugmug.com/The-Dragons-Tail-7-8-2018/i-7nmjj6L/0/b326d468/XL/1-XL.jpg

Looking back from the Dragon's Tail at Reynolds Mt, the unnamed ridge lower left, along with 1st saddle and Garden Wall in the background.

No hike to the false summit of the Dragon's Tail is complete without a "boot shot" 8)
The head of Hidden Lake(not visible from the overlook) is about 1800 feet below my size 14's

Or a "selfie" :arrow:

The "Boys of Summer".
Big Horn Rams enjoying the sun on the ledges above the visitor center at Logan pass.
Note that these rams are lying down facing in every direction. Big Horns have superior vision with those large, wide set eyes. NO chance a predator can sneak up on them....and there was a grizzly farther out the meadow past them when I took this snap.

Logan Pass parking at ~3PM Sunday. It was like this from about 0830.

Working on video but it'll be tomorrow night before that is all up.

Thanks

Last edited by PeteE on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
PeteE

PreviousNext

Return to Photography