2018 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: 2018 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Postby PeteE » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:13 am

I did a trip report last night and when I posted it, it bombed. Apparently I was logged in too long without "activity" ?
See if this works for now.

https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/Siyeh ... 8/n-NGV6HC

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby Jay w » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:36 pm

I really like the Sexton glacier photo with the clouds making great light.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:53 pm

Jay w wrote:I really like the Sexton glacier photo with the clouds making great light.

Jay

Thanks Jay.
Best I could do. The Sun was just out of frame on the left, so the light sucked looking down the drainage.
Sky was kinda grim from haze. I heard we have fires again to the West and Northwest. :(
Best time to photograph Baring Creek is in the AM. Go up the trail from Sunrift Gorge real early as far you can before the sun gets up too far.
imo anyway 8)

Are the yellow flowers that look like a daisy "blanket flowers"?
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:14 am

St Mary and Virginia Falls

I was supposed to hike out to the Dragon's Tail with PizzaBob and guests Saturday but I'm a little paranoid about lightening.
I had a bad experience with lightening in high school, and then again a few years back returning from the Dragon's Tail with some chatters.
The "high country" isn't where I want to be if there's thunderstorms likely. So I went for a walk down low.

Baring Falls, sometimes known as "Beering Falls" 8) is down the hill from Sunrift Gorge where I parked.

St Mary boat dock at Baring Creek

Going To the Sun Mt

Head of St Mary Lake. Dusty Star Mt with a tiny bit of Citadel Mt behind it.

GTTS Mt with fireweed among the Reynold's fire burned trees

Dusty Star Mt and St Mary Lake. Nice walk along St Mary Lake now that it's opened up from the Reynolds fire.
I saw two people between Baring Falls and St Mary Falls.

A better look at Dusty Star with Citadel behind it.
Virginia Falls is a tiny white dot in the forest if you look directly below the left most tiny snowfield at the bottom of Dusty Star.

I think these are one of several varieties of aster in GNP.

Skipping by St Mary Falls took a "boot shot" here at one of the little cascades down stream of Virginia Falls.

I wasn't able to ID these pretty little blue flowers yet. Anyone know?

Virginia Falls has calmed down a good bit since June. There was some spray and little wind so it was nice for pics.

Got a quick one here standing as close as possible. The fine mist felt nice and cool on me, but not too good for camera and lens.

Overall view taken from below the falls by the bridge

a few more later.

PeteE

Postby Carol Lynn » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:46 am

Pete, it's nice to see some photos from a "down low" hike. I have been wondering what those areas look like since they burned during my last visit to the park in 2015. The photos around St. Mary Lake are very pretty. I especially love #7.
Carol Lynn

Postby tibber » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:28 am

Harebells on the blue flowers. Campanula lasiocarpa, also known as the mountain harebell or Alaska harebell, is a plant native to the northwestern portion of North America including the US states of Alaska and Washington, as well as the Canadian provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, the Northwest Territories, and the Yukon. It is a member of the Campanula genus, commonly known as bellflowers.

Ya, VA Falls can be a bit tricky to photograph/film because of the spray.
tibber

Postby orin » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:24 am

The falls were really roaring when I was there over the July 4th week. The burn extends from the parking area all the way to St Mary falls. The trees in that area were really bug infested before the fire. I actually prefer the way it looks now. Somewhere between St Mary and Virginia falls you leave the burn behind. I continued on from Virginia falls along the lakeshore trail to Red Eagle Lake. The forest was unburned until about being across the lake from Rising Sun. From there to Red Eagle was burned by the earlier St Mary fire.

The blue flowers are Harebell also commonly called Scottish bluebell (Campanula rotundifolia).
orin

Postby PeteE » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:53 pm

Carol Lynn wrote:Pete, it's nice to see some photos from a "down low" hike. I have been wondering what those areas look like since they burned during my last visit to the park in 2015. The photos around St. Mary Lake are very pretty. I especially love #7.

Thanks Carol.
Not all the "good stuff" is up high!
The Reynolds burn area is coming back nicely from what I see. August is a little late to see the burn at it's best imo.
Mid June to early July is better. It's hard to know with any precision since events can be vary around the "norms" due to weather.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the flowers aren't blooming like recent years.
The Logan Pass area looks "dull" to me, or it did yesterday when I took a quick look up the boardwalk in the early AM.
Been no rain to speak of since late June. maybe that's a factor?

I got an "August" place for flowers that I'm gonna go to one day this week.

Tibber and Orin:

Thanks for the flower ID. I now see it in my Northern Rocky Mountain Wildflowers book.
Their pic is a lavender variety. 8)

Here's a couple more images

The marmots on the rock lower left kept growling, once chasing each other in a tight nose to tail circle.

Looking down from above...not much flow at St Mary Falls.

Always have to get a few boot shots.
PeteE

Postby Jay w » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Hey, nice photos Pete, really nice. Thanks for posting. Did you use a tripod on Beering Falls?

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Jay w wrote:Hey, nice photos Pete, really nice. Thanks for posting. Did you use a tripod on Beering Falls?

Jay

Thanks Jay!
Yeah, I used a tripod on "Beering Falls" 8)
The rocks in the left foreground were pretty light "in person"...fyi.
ISO 400 @ 1/6second don't recall aperture but think it was f11.
Shot another at 1/20 second but it didn't have the smoothing effect I wanted.
Tripod was that little short Slik with the Optika ball head.
I used it, and the 5.9X magnifier on a couple other shots like the blue flowers.

The DNG images look much sharper than these jpg's. That magnifier makes focusing a lot more precise.

All these were taken with my A77MkII with Rokinon f2.0 16mm manual lens.

I might have spent more time taking pics but the place just got overrun with hikers.
The Ranger led hike had 50+ people...if it had one!!!
Then there was a group of 30-40 kids came trooping up to Virginia Falls just as I began coming down.
Popular place. Go early 8)

PeteE

Postby MarxMN » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:40 pm

Pete,

The yellow flowers with red centers in your Siyeh Pass pictures are gaillardia but commonly called blanket flower. Coming down from Siyeh Pass seems to be one of the best places to find them.

Bill
MarxMN
Donator
Donator

Postby Badgerhiker » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:30 pm

Hey Pete. Love the pics along St Mary lake especially the boat dock. I think you need to rename this thread "photographs" Around Glacier National Park. These are way better than snaps!
Badgerhiker

Postby ND » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:21 pm

Really liking all the pictures, Pete. Geez I wish I was out there! It's tough missing a year in Glacier even if it is crowded. :(
ND

Postby PeteE » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:24 pm

Badgerhiker wrote:Hey Pete. Love the pics along St Mary lake especially the boat dock. I think you need to rename this thread "photographs" Around Glacier National Park. These are way better than snaps!

Thanks for the compliment !
I'm still pretty much a "wannabe"(albeit a legend in my own mind) 8) so most of my images are still "snaps".
Although now and then I get a few good "images".

Might get a good image or two on Saturday. I plan to go to a place I've not been before. :arrow:

Thanks again !

You won't find St Mary Lake this calm very often....so I like these two :)

PeteE

Postby PeteE » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:58 am

Here's a few lame video clips from Sunday August 12th.

These two are of sheep on the way out to Piegan Pass.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-dMd ... S-1920.mp4

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-jJx ... B-1920.mp4

These two are from above and east of Piegan Pass in the talus/boulder fields on the route to the summit of Cataract.
Audio is bad because of wind so turn it up to hear anything.
It was just too dangerous to mess around in those rocks with the wind blowing and gusting.
The wind would blow me off balance and made my eyes water so it was very difficult to see what I was doing.
No sign of the fire(s) that morning.

Made this one just below the ridge line where I decided to come down from the rocks
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-tHw ... 5-1920.mp4

Made this one after I came down a little ways. Turn volume up.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-sTG ... 3-1920.mp4

Planning to summit Piegan tomorrow. Hoping the clear air will be around for one more day.

PeteE

PreviousNext

Return to Photography