2018 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: 2018 "Snaps" Around Glacier National Park

Postby PeteE » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:33 am

davidwayne wrote:Pete, as always, thank you for the pics to keep us "foreigners" up to date and enjoying GNP. I really enjoyed the Avalanche pics. Our first trip to GNP in 1991 went through Kalispell, and our last hike before heading to the airport was Avalanche Lake, but a steady rain interceded. Our other trips have been via Great Falls, so Avalanche is still on our list.

Hi David:

Thanks, I'll try to keep you "foreigners" as up to date as I can 8)
Avalanche Lake is a nice little hike. It's too bad that it's so crowded during the June-September season.
Snow in the spring and fall make it a beautiful hike, especially with fewer people around.
Still no sign of B&C
:(

Jay w wrote:Pete, likewise, enjoyed the pics and it was fun to see Avalanche with snow. Soon I'll have to start asking if McDonald has frozen over yet.

Jay

Thanks Jay. Yeah, Avalanche looks good with snow to highlight the cirque walls :)
As warm as it's been, I wouldn't look for Lake McDonald freezing over any time soon.
Raining today.

In other news...

I know everyone is kinda tired of seeing pics from Lake McDonald. I'm going to make an effort to get to more places asap.
Right now the major holdup is "Jaybird" had a massive "heart attack"(blown engine) requiring a transplant--new "long block".
The work should be done by 12/7. In the meantime I'm driving a rental Toyota Corolla which isn't worth a sh1t on snow and ice :(
So I'm reluctant to take it out of town. Scary enough last week when I was out at Lake McDonald.

On the plus side...'
I received my new "mat cutter" for matting pics.
:arrow:

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:47 pm

Got Jaybird back yesterday. New engine runs great.
Needing to run up 500 miles, I drove out to Lake McDonald.
COLD, and temps dropping quickly with the setting sun, clear air, and zero clouds.

Nice picture but kinda boring without clouds...imo.
However, my niece said the scene was calming and peaceful, or evoked a feeling of calm and peacefulness.
Whatever :)

The sunset going home wasn't boring. 8)
Taken on MT40 about 1/4 mile east of the US2/MT40 junction at the Blue Moon.
Looking SW that vertical cloud formation above the sun was real, not some artifact.

Turning 90 degrees to the left looking SE gives this view. I missed the best light. Driving through CFalls in rush hour traffic, I could see the colors change by the minute :(

The first sunset pic above was taken 3 minutes after the pic immediately above. That's why difference in lighting.
I wish I had stayed longer. The color looking SW got a really deep red-orange color 3-4 minutes later when I was at the light. :(
The way to do this correctly is to park yourself in a good place, get setup, and stay till the sunset is done.
Duh...Ya think? 8)

PeteE

Postby Jay w » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:15 am

Sunrises like that are unusual and great to experience. It's always hard to communicate that in a picture, but fun to try.

That first shot of MacDonald, well, it's calming and peaceful, and evokes a feeling of calm and peacefulness. :D

It's always great to hear your stories and see the photos.

Jay

PS, my ride has new rear shocks.....$1000 :shock:
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:02 pm

Tomorrow I'll be going to my nieces house in Ft Benning Georgia to spend Christmas with my family.
My sister, who is the "matriarch" of what's left of our family requested everyone's presence for a family reunion for Christmas. 8)
I have 4 grand nieces and nephews and I was at a loss for presents. My niece said they have always loved seeing my pictures of the park, so...
Here I am matting 25 5x7's mostly animals since they like those best :)

This is the first time I've done "professional" type photo matting and I enjoy it--at least for now. :wink:
It's good practice for later on--at least I hope so.
I'm using precut mats for these pics. I recently bought a good quality mat cutter for later when I will get high quality prints from a local shop.
The shop is owned by Bob Burch who has a good reputation for quality work according to several local artists I know.
I showed Bob and his wife these Walgreen prints I matted and both liked them. In the right market and priced right, they believe they'll sell.
I sure hope so since I need to at least pay for my hobby!! 8)

Precut mats are ok for standard size images, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14 etc.
My mat cutter will enable me to mat many of the images I have that don't lend themselves to standard mat sizes, e.g. panographic images.
Plus I have on hand a selection of colors in addition to white.
So....we'll see if the new year will be good to me!
Hope so since I'm now "debt slave" to my sister!! 8)
Yeeeehaww!!!

jayw wrote:Sunrises like that are unusual and great to experience. It's always hard to communicate that in a picture, but fun to try.

That first shot of MacDonald, well, it's calming and peaceful, and evokes a feeling of calm and peacefulness. :D

It's always great to hear your stories and see the photos.

Jay

PS, my ride has new rear shocks.....$1000 :shock:

Thanks Jay. Rear shocks for $1k? Yikes! Wait till I tell my sister. She just bought a 2017 Subaru :)

I always like your comments and advice.

Sunrises are tough for me. Sometimes the sunrise here in the valley are really good IF the clouds are good. Otherwise not so much.
The Swan Range mountains delay sunrise so that without clouds, the day is well underway and lit up before the sun clears the mountains.
Sunrises on the East side are much better imo. The wide open Big Sky seems to make a sunrise more "dramatic" clouds or not.
I'd love to photograph sunrises over there but it's too far to drive just for a sunrise 8)

cheerios

PeteE

Postby Carol Lynn » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:55 am

Pete - Your photos are an excellent gift for your nieces and nephews. Not only will they look beautiful hanging on their walls, they will forever have a reminder of their Uncle Pete and his love of Glacier NP.
Carol Lynn

Postby tibber » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:54 am

Carol Lynn wrote:Pete - Your photos are an excellent gift for your nieces and nephews. Not only will they look beautiful hanging on their walls, they will forever have a reminder of their Uncle Pete and his love of Glacier NP.

ditto that! such a wonderful gift.
tibber

Postby MarxMN » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:15 am

Pete,

Your photos make great gifts. Matting photos can be fun.

I hope you had a good time in Georgia.

Do the crows get hungry when you are gone?

Bill
MarxMN
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:51 pm

Carol. Tibber. Bill

This Cristmas has been the best of my life!
No way to describe it right now other than to say "family" is sooooooo important.
People should cherish their families
Everyone liked the pictures very much...kids and adults alike.
More when i get back.

The crows will still be around 8)
PeteE

Postby brindledog » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:45 pm

What a thoughtful and personal gift. They won’t find anything like it at the mall. I’m not surprised they loved the pictures, and there is a difference in a picture of a goat, and a picture of a goat that someone you know saw/photoed/framed.

Ditto on you comments on family.
Happy New Year!
brindledog
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:05 am

brindledog wrote:What a thoughtful and personal gift. They won’t find anything like it at the mall. I’m not surprised they loved the pictures, and there is a difference in a picture of a goat, and a picture of a goat that someone you know saw/photoed/framed.

Ditto on you comments on family.
Happy New Year!

Hi Meg!!

Yeah, It was really a great and very special Christmas, the best Christmas of my adult life.
Now I have to work on writing a short description for each photo to place on the back of the pics when framed.
One issue we all talked about is many of our family photos don't have any notations.

As for a...

Happy New Year

Y'all watch this short video from a spur of the moment visit yesterday at the park.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-JkS ... q-1920.mp4

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!
PeteE

Postby indiana hiker » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:22 am

Pete, I see your "friends" have returned! Snowy day in the park.
indiana hiker

Postby MarxMN » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:12 pm

Great to see those two again - Candy says glad you saw them again.

Bill
MarxMN
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:56 am

indiana hiker wrote:Pete, I see your "friends" have returned! Snowy day in the park.

Yup, just light snow, not much accumulation.
COLD this morning. 3F when I got up. A small "heat wave" came through 'cause it's 11F now LOL
And yes, I'm glad they are back. I need to put some velcro on my mirrors.
Poor Clyde's right hallux is bothering him. That's why he was slipping and sliding :(
But he's a tough old guy and a survivor. :)

MarxMN wrote:Great to see those two again - Candy says glad you saw them again.

Bill

Thanks Bill and tell Candy HI! :)
Looks like you and ND are in the deep freeze compared to here!

PeteE

Postby TnTammy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:21 pm

Pete!
SO Happy to see you reunited with Bonnie and Clyde!! You can't believe how the B&C updates over the years have brought smiles to those far away, amazed at the interaction between you and the corvids. It's just a remarkable friendship! 8)

Wonderful to hear about your family reunion in Georgia. They must have loved their prints...very special gift. When you get your business off the ground, i would love to be one of your first customers for Mr. Lincoln. :D

I've really enjoyed your photography lately. Great color in the sunsets. But I'm a real sucker for those mirror images on Lake McDonald....seeing that, i say to myself "there's the magic!"

Wishing you a busy, prosperous, active and exciting NEW YEAR!! :arrow: Would love to see you get that backpack permit into The Belly.

Thanks for all you share,
Tam & Mike
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:11 pm

TnTammy wrote:Pete!
SO Happy to see you reunited with Bonnie and Clyde!! You can't believe how the B&C updates over the years have brought smiles to those far away, amazed at the interaction between you and the corvids. It's just a remarkable friendship! 8)

Thanks Tammy :D
This winter is the 6th year I've "known" B&C. I really thought something had got them. The eagles that nest at the head of the lake being my first guess.
Now I'm thinking the Howe ridge fire may have had something to do with it. Who knows? Ravens continually surprise me---and everyone I know who "studies" them.
I'm just happy to have one more winter with them. :D

Wonderful to hear about your family reunion in Georgia. They must have loved their prints...very special gift. When you get your business off the ground, i would love to be one of your first customers for Mr. Lincoln. :D

Christmas was indeed very special this year for more reasons than I can say here.
https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/Famil ... -vVrSvJB/A

One thing I can say is my nieces husband Arthur gave me a tour of FT Benning which is the home of the 101st Airborne and the Rangers.
It was pretty moving to see the Ranger Memorial where Arthur and his dad have "bricks" on that walk in the pic.
https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/Famil ... -f72WvfD/A

Arthur's Dad is highly decorated Ranger having served 4 combat tours in Viet Nam.
He is also a past President of the 101st Airborne Division Association, a huge honor.
Arthur has served all over the world, much of his career is classified, including a combat jump into Panama.
Arthur enlisted as a private and will retire this summer after 28 years of active duty as a LT Colonel.
No small achievement and our family is very proud of both of them!

My "grand nieces and nephews" are now old enough at 9-17 to know who I am and I can talk with them, etc. :D
Twas 5 years ago I last saw them when we did a Thanksgiving reunion.

I've really enjoyed your photography lately. Great color in the sunsets. But I'm a real sucker for those mirror images on Lake McDonald....seeing that, i say to myself "there's the magic!"

Thanks again Tammy. It's a continual learning process...as Mike knows :)
And good to know you like those Lake McDonald reflections. 8)

I suspect today would have been super if the ice hasn't formed yet. Near ZERO out there this AM.
It was AGONIZING to have to work today. The air was sooooooooooo clear from the cold front which came through yesterday.
The mountains were incredible with new snow and sky that beautiful BLUE with not a cloud on sight this AM.

3F here when I fed my crows this morning.
Patiently waiting in the aspens across the street
8)

https://glaciergeezer.smugmug.com/Famil ... -sGd8p58/A

Wishing you a busy, prosperous, active and exciting NEW YEAR!! :arrow: Would love to see you get that backpack permit into The Belly.
HAPPY NEW YEAR to y'all too!

Thanks for all you share,
Tam & Mike

You are MOST welcome Tammy. Please give Mike and Nathan my regards!

PeteE

Previous

Return to Photography