2019 "Snaps" Around Gracier National Park...plus

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: 2019 "Snaps" Around Gracier National Park...plus

Postby PeteE » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:09 am

Here is Part 1 of two videos I made of the goats on the way back to the Hidden lake trail.
I was talking with two red Bus drivers when this broken Horn nanny showed up behind us.
How I missed the fact she had a broken horn and wasn't the same nanny as two days before---I don't know! :roll:
Keep in mind that I was speculating about the relationship of the smaller "sub adult" goats that accompanied the nannies.
It's also hard to determine the bad word of these goats when they have all that old winter coat hanging off them.

Part 1 runs about 14 minutes.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-8V6 ... x-1920.mp4

This video is the interaction of the goats, eight of them at one point, over a place where someone had pee'd.
Part 2 runs about 17 minutes
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-MgB ... N-1920.mp4

pete :wink:
Last edited by PeteE on Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:36 am

Ok Part 2 is uploaded now.

Part 2 17 minutes
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-MgB ... N-1920.mp4

Now I'l work on the video clips of hiking out to the Dragon's Tail.
Nothing really new from past video I've done out there. Just to give an idea of what it's like for those who may be interested.

PeteE

Postby PeteE » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:34 am

I had to cancel my 2 night backpack at Morningstar Lake due to bad weather on Saturday.
I waited at the Cut Bank TH for 3 hours watching intermittant rain squalls roll through with high winds at times.
Finally I just said to heck with it and drove home via US 2---through more rain.
And yes I did call the BC Office and cancel the trip so someone else could get the spaces.

So Sunday I decided to do Siyeh Pass so I could do a side trip to Sexton Glacier.
I had walked over part way to the glacier twice before but this time I wanted to get as close as I reasonably could.
That side trip made for a long day. 10 hours from 0700-1700. 12 1/2 miles.
I was able to get within maybe 300yards of the face of the glacier.
The terrain close to the glacier is a bit complicated to describe. You can't see it from below.
The video may make it more clear.

The hike over from the main Siyeh Pass trail is just over a mile depending on where you stop and the route you take.
And going is rough to say the least. Walking on large/mixed scree and talus litter all the way except where walking on the snow fields.
This is not a trip for those with bad ankles or knees.
Keep in mind that after coming back to the main trail, you have nearly 4+ miles of down hill walking to get back to the Sun Road at Sunrift Gorge.

Here's a few snaps made with my P&S. More coming with A77 and video.
Also met and hiked back with some cool people.
HI to "Amy" from Helena if she sees this. 8)

Here are a few snaps. More when I get home from work.

View of Sexton Glacier from not long after leaving the main trail. This was the easy part of the walk and it's not as benign as it looks here.

Taken from near where I stopped. The terrain "rolls over" down into a hole of sorts...and I wasn't going down there!

The view from the cliff edge here was fantastic. That waterfall is incredible.
You can see it cascading all the way down where combined with the other falls it forms Baring Creek.

Paint brush not far before the Siyeh Pass trail junction on the way up. I'm thinking flowers will be beginning to peak in a week or so?
Meadows are starting to look nice.

Jones Columbine, a somewhat rare flower I learned about in 2015. The long switchback to the East going up to Siyeh pass was loaded with these columbines.
They were a little past peak, but I was happily surprised to see them blooming this late.
The wind going up the switchbacks was absolutely fierce making photography challenging at best.
I may have more that turned out better from my A77 where I could use a much faster shutter speed.

later

PeteE

Postby Sue Z » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:36 am

In the third photo, it looks like you're walking on air!
That rare columbine is a gorgeous shade of blue.
Sue Z
Sue Z
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:04 pm

I'm uploading about two dozen images of the side trip to Sexton Glacier now.
I'll post them all quickly and then come back an annotate them.
I liked how the images taken from the closest point I got to the glacier give you an really different perspective of the Baring Creek valley.
So bear with me :)

PS
They are taken in chronological order as I hiked over to the glacier from the Siyeh Pass trail
Annotations/image descriptions coming. And yeah, I know...so is Christmas
8)

This the view down the Baring Creek valley you see from the trail shortly before the spot where you break off to go over to the glacier.

This is just a few yards after leaving the main trail. You may be able to make out, barely, the beginning of the trail on the right of the image.
The snow field is the first of I think 5 or 6 I crossed on the route I chose going out. Trust me...Walking on that mix of scree and talus gets old very quickly 8)

The view turning to my left from same spot as above

Looking back after crossing that first snowfield. Two two snowfields in the upper left of image must be crossed on the way down from the pass above. They are somewhat steep but soft and easily crossed with a little care and patience.

Turning a little to my right from above image and looking at Goat Mt on the right

A little farther on looking down the Baring Creek valley

Going To The Sun Mt looms over the barely visible glacier in this shot. I crossed this snow field and over the small ridge just left of those "roundish" ledges on the right.

After crossing the ledge in the pic above, the big grey moraine comes into view. I walked across the top of it for a while because it was the least bad route through all that scree and talus.

This is the place I originally was going to stop at and is where I made the selfie and panorama in the next two images.
The terrain below and to the right "rolls over" and I wasn't up for going down there and then having to come back up. Instead I went over to the cliffs to the left for the shots of the waterfall and valley.

Panographic taken from where I was kneeling in pic below

I put on my helmut mainly because the WIND was blowing really hard at times and kept blowing my ball hat off :( And...it would give my head some protection if I fell on that ugly terrain. I'm sure hard-headed 8) and I could walk with a broken hand or arm, but not a fractured scull.

I took this image from the Siyeh Pass trail a little way before you get to the switch back going down to Baring Creek.
To give some perspective, the RED dot indicates the approximate place where I took the following images from.

Good view of the glacier from the cliffs. This point is the closest I got to the glacier and where I turned to go back. It's difficult to say how far away it was.
I'm guessing maybe about 300yards?

Vertical perspective from same spot

Vertical Panographic so I could get all I wanted in one image. I liked this image perspective of the Baring Creek drainage.
It has a bit of distortion on the upper left in the clouds, but I couldn't get the all of the valley I wanted and the glacier and upper part of the waterfall all in one frame.
(as shown in image directly below this one)

I like this image. I just couldn't get all I wanted in a single frame

Another shot of the glacier

Doing an about face from same spot as above gives this look at the cliffs behind me, Goat Mt in the background, and Baring creek on bottom right

I'll work on the video from the side trip next and post it here asap.
Thanks for your patience.

PeteE

Postby mattB » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:48 pm

Wow!! Great Photo's Pete!! And great trip report!! Looks like a very interesting side trip off the Siyeh Pass trail, and some beautiful views!!
mattB
Donator
Donator

Postby MarxMN » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:28 am

Interesting pictures from the trail to Sexton Glacier. They help give a perspective on just how huge the whole Baring Creek valley is. A friend and I took that trail toward Sexton Glacier back in the early 1980s - the only time I have done that. I am sure you were closer to the glacier than I was and I don't remember looking down over the waterfall.

And I like the paintbrush and Jones Columbine.

Bill
MarxMN
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:54 am

Sue Z wrote:In the third photo, it looks like you're walking on air!
That rare columbine is a gorgeous shade of blue.

Sue, I wish you and everyone could see those columbines when they are at their peak. The shade of blue is just incredible.
And yeah, there was a lot of air below my feet while sitting on that cliff edge.
8)

mattB wrote:Wow!! Great Photo's Pete!! And great trip report!! Looks like a very interesting side trip off the Siyeh Pass trail, and some beautiful views!!

Thanks Matt! :) It really is an interesting walk over to the glacier. You get a whole different perspective of how glaciers "do their thing" on the terrain.
And I like being able to get to places for a different "look" at a the scenery.

MarxMN wrote:Interesting pictures from the trail to Sexton Glacier. They help give a perspective on just how huge the whole Baring Creek valley is. A friend and I took that trail toward Sexton Glacier back in the early 1980s - the only time I have done that. I am sure you were closer to the glacier than I was and I don't remember looking down over the waterfall.

And I like the paintbrush and Jones Columbine.

Bill

Thanks Bill. You really do get a great look at the Baring Creek valley from over near the glacier. To think that entire valley was once filled with ice is awesome.
I'll see about getting the video clips done this afternoon/evening. I think the video give everyone a better sense of how gnarly the surface of the moraine area is and how difficult it is to walk on. The clips will also give people a better perspective of how vast that moraine area is. The glacier doesn't look that far away from the trail because of it's size relative to the GTTS Mountain and Matahpi.

I'm think the flowers will be looking really good toward the end of the month in many places--like the ShangriLa meadows above Iceberg Lake--I'll be heading over there to do ShangriLa the first chance I get and the weather permits
8)

Later

PeteE

Postby davidwayne » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:49 pm

Pete. hiking the Siyeh Pass trail remains a favorite memory of mine. I can picture the Sexton glacier in my mind from the hike, and your up close pics give me a new appreciation. Thanks!
davidwayne

Postby PeteE » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:29 am

davidwayne wrote:Pete. hiking the Siyeh Pass trail remains a favorite memory of mine. I can picture the Sexton glacier in my mind from the hike, and your up close pics give me a new appreciation. Thanks!

Hey David :)
Your welcome. Glad you liked the pictures.
The Siyeh Pass hike is, imo 8) ,one of the top 2 or 3 day hikes in GNP and has always been one of my favorites.
I've done it at least once every year since I moved here in 2002--the only exception was 2003 when we had the bad fires.

Here are the two videos from my side trip out to Sexton Glacier.
I misread my GPS when I began at the beginning. In the video I said the mileage was 5.38 when it was 5.68.
So I went about 1.0 miles towards the glacier before returning to the Siyeh pass trail.

Part 1 runs 13:31 minutes
https://photos.smugmug.com/Siyeh-Pass-S ... 1-1920.mp4

Part 2 runs 12:40 minutes
https://photos.smugmug.com/Siyeh-Pass-S ... 2-1920.mp4

PeteE

Postby NDjason » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:12 pm

Really cool stuff, Pete! I'd love to get up there someday, thanks for sharing!
~ jason
NDjason
Donator
Donator

Postby Ear Mountain » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Super job on the photos Pete. I'm looking forwardtp being in Glacier next week and climbing with the Glacier Mountaineering Society.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Postby PeteE » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:50 pm

NDjason wrote:Really cool stuff, Pete! I'd love to get up there someday, thanks for sharing!

Thanks Jason. I'm sure you'll make it one day. You have a lot of years left to hike GNP :)

Ear Mountain wrote:Super job on the photos Pete. I'm looking forwardtp being in Glacier next week and climbing with the Glacier Mountaineering Society.

Thanks to you as well Ralph!
Maybe I'll see you out there somewhere next week...if I can sneak away from work 8)

PeteE

Postby PeteE » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:16 pm

Here is the 3 minute video of the grizzly bear on the Grinnell Glacier trail yesterday 7-19.
There were lots of people going both directions at this point on the trail.
I hung around a few minutes to tell people behind me, coming from Grinnell Glacier, to warn those behind them that the bear was nearby.
Those coming from below were being warned by people who had passed the bear.

As grizzly bears go, this was a small bear, maybe 125-150lbs, if that.
That doesn't mean it couldn't be dangerous. ALL bears can inflict severe injury.
This bear may need to be hazed since he/she clearly isn't afraid of lots of people nearby.
Dunno if the park has plans to do that or not...just my opinion.

Early on before I got to the glacier overlook area, people said they had watch the bear chase the group of big horn sheep.
I would love to have video'd that! :)
No chance this bear could have caught the sheep.
The sheep are quite at home on the tough, steep terrain and can easily escape to the higher terrain.

3 minutes

https://photos.smugmug.com/July-19-20-W ... r-1920.mp4

Grizzly bear in the bear grass 8) The bear was about 20 years away at this point.

This old boy was a big bodied full curl ram with massive horns. His buddy had nodded out for the moment. That cud chewin' is hard work ya know 8)

These tree swallows were fun to watch.
There were three chicks in the nest cavity, although the third one had a tough time trying to get its share of the insects the parents were bringing to the nest.
Tree swallows are incredibly agile fliers, catching insects on the fly.
Both parents were constantly and seemingly tireless bringing bugs back to feed their chicks.
And clearly used to people nearby as they paid little attention to me as I was taking down my tent and walking back and forth to my truck.

Runs about 4:22

https://photos.smugmug.com/July-19-20-W ... s-1920.mp4

ImageImage
Last edited by PeteE on Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:38 pm

I'll try to get more pictures and video clips up as soon as possible.

Gotta get to bed since I'm getting up at 0400 so I can get to Logan Pass to get an early start out to the Dragon's tail--again.
The weather is supposed to be sunny, with a high near 62. Northeast wind 11 to 14 mph becoming east southeast in the afternoon.
That's about as good as it gets up there.

Sooooo.....I'm going to hike out to the saddle between Reynolds and the Dragon's Tail.
Then drop down on the SE side and walk out to the big couloir--the route to the true summit of the Dragon's Tail.

That's where the Class III scramble begins to get on the summit ridge in another attempt at getting to the true summit.
Last time I tried to get on the summit ridge I got cliffed out about 1/4 the way up :(
And didn't have time to try again that day.

Hopefully, I'll make it this time. If not, it'll still be a nice hike. The views from out on the SE side of the ridge are very good.
Better than staying home, right? 8)

later

PeteE

PreviousNext

Return to Photography