2019 "Snaps" Around Gracier National Park...plus

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: 2019 "Snaps" Around Gracier National Park...plus

Postby PeteE » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:33 pm

(There may be an earlier post of mine on the previous page depending on your browser)

I just finished getting all my gear ready to go for tomorrow's trip to the East Side.
Not been over there since last Fall.
I'll start at St Mary, but I'm not sure where I'll hike/snowshoe/ski. Just depends on conditions.
Forecast is for a nice sunny cool day. I hope the air is clear!
Gonna be a long day so probably won't get anything posted until tomorrow sometime.
later

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby Ear Mountain » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:34 am

PeteE wrote:Thanks Ralph for your help with the peak IDs. Much appreciated.
I'm sure the weather was better in Texas :) Or at least warmer?
Texas was warmer. 70s most days we were there. Hit 80 one day. Got sunburned.

It's amazing how different these peaks look from different perspectives.
I have NO clue on most of them.
A 2 degree error(the tics on my compass) is big at distances of 20 miles--which is the approximate distance from the summit house to Jackson.
Also the long lens and the distance to the mountain causes foreshortening where everything near to far gets squished together near to far.This really increases the difficulty of identification.

Anyway, here are some frames I cropped that give a better look at Jackson and Stimson.
Too big to look at the biggest enlargement here, so click on the links for the best view of each.

3840x1464 pixels
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-HWJ ... zX5-4K.jpg
800x305

Stimson and Pinchot, it's notch easy to see here.
3840x2082 pixels
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-DW2 ... LPg-4K.jpg
800x434
A fantastic view of Stimson and Pinchot. Especially the hi-res version at your link.

Closer look at Rainbow
2560x1295
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-7dH ... v5p-X5.jpg
I'm thinking the mountain to the LEFT of Rainbow, the one with the blocky top, is Mount Custer above Hole-in-the-Wall. Not 100% sure. I used a big GNP map and a long straightedge from the summit of Big Mountain to Rainbow Peak. Boulder Peak might be partially visible in front of and left of the summit of Custer with Custer on the skyline.

Maybe Anaconda or Vulture?
1600x1189
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-fHX ... KJZ-X3.jpg
800x595
Maybe the Vulture Peak complex including Logging. I'm pretty sure this is not Anaconda.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Postby PeteE » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:03 pm

Thank you once more Ralph! :)
It's a fun sort of exercise trying to figure out what's what from the different view points. It's not easy.
I hadn't considered the "compression" factor caused by long focal length lens(s), but that does compound the ID issue.

As for the blue tint in the images, I wonder if that's because I somehow had the camera White Balance set to "auto" rather than "daylight?
Seems I had that happen before. Wouldn't that contribute to the "cool" blue tint?
I'll tinker with the color temp tool on the DNG file too.
I think I'll convert that Stimson-Pinchot image to B&W . Should look better.

I put it back to "daylight" today...where it better stay!!

I drove to the gate that's about 2 miles up the lake this morning. Then biked about 2 3/4 miles before running into a series of drifts.
I decided to park my bike and walk the rest of the way, about 2 miles, to Rising Sun.
Turns out I could have walked my bike the 1/4 mile over the low drifts and biked the last two miles. Oh well :?
The day was really nice. Chilly in the morning but warmed up nicely by 2:30PM when I headed back from Rising Sun.

Both Upper and Lower St Mary Lakes are 100% frozen and ice/snow covered.
Upper St Mary may be beginning to thaw a bit in places.but Lower St Mary looks solidly frozen right now---because it's shallower?
Most of the lower slopes are snow free. The exceptions being shady areas and/or places where the snow was drifted quite deep.
You'll see that in the "snaps" and video.

Only saw one animal worth noting. A cow moose out in the absolute middle of nowhere between Duck Lake and Browning.
Couldn't tell sexx at the time since I couldn't see the camcorder monitor very well with sunglasses on.
She was browsing new shoots off willows in a low, wet bottom area. Not a tree within 5 miles!
Moose are not necessarily exclusively "forest" animals.

Here's a clip from the boat dock area.
https://photos.smugmug.com/3-30-2019-St ... d-1920.mp4

It's been a long day. Up at 4:30AM and home at 8PM. 285 miles of driving.
I'm taking a day off tomorrow and will work on more images. Took lots of video as well.
So there may be something worth posting. Hope so! 8)

pete 8)

I may have a couple more panographics that are worth looking at tomorrow.

This 4 frame panographic taken from US89 a few miles before before coming down to St Mary turned out well.
Taken on tripod with my new $100.00 Sony "refurbished " 55-200mm lens set at 100mm, 1/500 at f16.
The image below is a drastically shrunken image 800x225 so it'll fit on the chat page.
The full size image is 12,884 x 3630 pixels :shock:
PSD file is 514Megs. The full size jpeg is 45Megs. At 240dpi it'll print at 53"x15" and should look pretty good :)
The image is actually pretty sharp considering the gear used...and the photographer is a wannabe 8)

This is the link to a reduced jpeg. 2560x721 pixels
Looks best on your biggest screen imo. After going to the link, click the + sign. You'll be able to see the Rising Sun area much better.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Tvt ... Tzd-X5.jpg

Open the link image to see these points more clearly. may need to scroll the big link image.
Fussilade's distinctive "hogback" profile is clearly visible on the left center. I think some of Gunsight is visible behind Fussilade. To the right of Fussilade is the massive ridge that runs SE off Mt Reynolds which is also visible--the pointy peak. The right side of the image is dominated by Goat Mt. Look closely on the left side of Goat Mt and you'll see the very top(appears as a snowy cirque) of Going-To-The-Sun Mt above it. The compression(EarMountain spoke about above) of the telephoto lens causes Goat and GTTS MT to sort of blend together in this image from this view point.

I hiked out a good way on the big "spur ridge" that runs SE off Mt Reynolds during the Reynolds fire in 2015. It offers some very nice views looking back down the St Mary Valley. It's an easy hike from Logan Pass. There is some moderate exposure as you traverse around Mt Reynolds to get out there, but it's well worth the effort imo.

Rising Sun is close to dead center at the very bottom--look for a dark(ish) forested area just above the lake.
Shrunk to fit here 800x225 pixels

PeteE

Postby PeteE » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:01 am

Here's a few more images from yesterday
The links are larger, better images than the pics below.

Bills Fence line
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mvJ ... 3WF-X4.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-48X ... GV9-X4.jpg

Cut Bank Valley from US89. Don't know the mountain names.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-RtT ... XK9-X4.jpg

The geezer's wheels and Red Eagle Mt in the background

This and the next are down at the Rising Sun boat dock.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-bPS ... tRx-X4.jpg

Divide Mt is the one in the distance center frame. Dillon, the fellow working in the St Mary Grocery all this winter, said Divide was really lit up a fiery red-orange the night before. I would love to have seen that.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-6qC ... cBL-X4.jpg

After looking at video clip, I think this is a cow moose. This moose was browsing these willows out in the middle of nowhere about half way between Duck lake and Browning. Nary a tree for miles. I thought she was an "angus" cow at first as I blew by her going 80mph 8) So I turned around and took this shot and a bit of video out the window.
Who says moose only live in forest habitats? :)

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mQR ... pRC-X4.jpg
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:43 pm

I'm having a 13"x36" print made of this pano.
First time I've ever had a big print made. I want to see how well it looks "on paper".
Then I'll know if I can actually produce a decent image--on paper.
I have lots of images that "look" good on a computer screen.
So we'll see in a day or so.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Tvt ... Tzd-X5.jpg
PeteE

Postby Jay w » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:01 pm

Nice shot Pete. I think you'll like it. I like the stuff form the east side or maybe that's East Side, … and of course the story that goes along with it. I like the video where you just shut up and pan. Reminds me of CBS when they'd do the nature shot without any words or music.

Silver Subaru is gone. I'm now driving the Mazda 3 (zoom, zoom).

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:48 am

Jay w wrote:Nice shot Pete. I think you'll like it. I like the stuff form the east side or maybe that's East Side,
Thanks Jay. It should print well, but we'll just have to wait and see. and yeah, all the above were from the East Side 8)
… and of course the story that goes along with it. There's always a story that goes with my trips...which brings me to...
I like the video where you just shut up and pan.
Actually , I agree with you on that point. And I will do more of the "silent" CBS type nature shots---with just the sounds of "nature". I remember them well.
While I used my camcorder for the one above, I didn't have my Sony tripod which has really good panning capability. It also has a really nice zoom control in the handle. The zoom control will do both slow and fast zooms very smoothly. Those nature type shots really look way better using that Sony tripod. I'll do some nature clips asap. And with none of my yapping either. ok? :)

Reminds me of CBS when they'd do the nature shot without any words or music.
Those were the BEST weren't they?

Silver Subaru is gone. I'm now driving the Mazda 3 (zoom, zoom).

Jay
PeteE

Postby Jay w » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:41 am

Now that I re-read the “shut up and pan” I think that could be taken wrong. You didn’t take it wrong but others may. I like the yappin’ too. Much more interesting that my talking, but the silence, without a bird call or any wind was nice.

Jay

Had three flats on the bike last Sunday. A new record.
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:50 am

Jay w wrote:Now that I re-read the “shut up and pan” I think that could be taken wrong. You didn’t take it wrong but others may. I like the yappin’ too. Much more interesting that my talking, but the silence, without a bird call or any wind was nice.

Not to worry. I do like narrating most of my videos. I guess I could include music but all the music I like is copyrighted and I don't know how to get around that.
Years ago YouTube dinged me for using part of ZZTops "Well Dressed Man" in a clip I called Well Dressed Hikerman" 8)

Jay

Had three flats on the bike last Sunday. A new record.
Man, that's crazy. How much fun can riding a bike be when you have to put up with that many flats?

Here's 2 1/2 minutes of four clips from yesterday. NO YAPPIN' 8)
https://photos.smugmug.com/GNP-Lame-Vid ... n-1920.mp4

I forgot I didn't have my Sony tripod so these were done with my still camera tripod which is NOT good for movies.
Impossible to do a steady zoom(out or in) and pan/tilt the thing LOL! ...and while rock hopping around the middle of the creek wearing microspikes.
No sound except the wind and the "babbling brook" Snyder Creek. 8)

PeteE

Postby Jay w » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:44 pm

Interesting you put the Mt Brown lookout in there. I was going to suggest that as a goal for one of your hikes. I know it's a hump, but Ear had some great pictures from up there.

Jay
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:13 pm

Jay w wrote:Interesting you put the Mt Brown lookout in there. I was going to suggest that as a goal for one of your hikes. I know it's a hump, but Ear had some great pictures from up there.

Jay

Were EarMountain's pics winter images? He snowshoe'd up there not long ago if I remember right! :shock:
If so, I bet they are great pics.

I went up to the Mt Brown Lookout June 25th 2017. And yeah, it's a "hump" alright getting up there. 4000+ vertical feet over about 5 miles 8)
Seemingly ENDless switchbacks. And going up there now will really be a tough go now that the forest cover burned in the Sperry fire.
I have a feeling the sun will make it a HOT hike. Anyone thinking about it needs to take plenty of water. The good news may be that the flowers should be good for a few years now that the forest cover is gone.

It was a nice cloudless day when I went. I wasn't too impressed with the views though. The view looking down towards Apgar is a big "nothing burger"--boring.
Views to the NNE are better looking towards McPartland and Heaven's Peak. Looking more North towards the Garden Wall wasn't very good because the lookout isn't high enough and the view angle is too acute for a good look at the Continental divide-----imo.
Best views, imo, were looking East to SE towards the Little Matterhorn, Edwards, Gunsight, etc.

I didn't hang around long at the lookout. The flies were bad. I really felt sorry for an old billy goat that was up there laying in the snow around the lookout.
The flies were making him really uncomfortable as you'll see in the pics I'll post.

Maybe I'll go up part way soon and see if the flowers are good. New burn areas usually have good flowers.
Might be a hike to do pretty soon since the trail head is accessible. The snow might be melted off enough since the trees burned.

Here's an image from yesterday I may have printed soon. It looks pretty good on my monitor
This is basically a thumbnail since the full size image is 11,669 pixels wide
This link will look better on most monitors.

https://photos.smugmug.com/2019-Snaps-G ... d-2-X3.jpg
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:12 am

Here's some pics from Mt Brown lookout June 25 2017.

PeteE

Postby Ear Mountain » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:39 am

PeteE wrote:
Jay w wrote:Interesting you put the Mt Brown lookout in there. I was going to suggest that as a goal for one of your hikes. I know it's a hump, but Ear had some great pictures from up there.
Jay

[b]Were EarMountain's pics winter images? He snowshoe'd up there not long ago if I remember right! :shock:
If so, I bet they are great pics.

I snowshoed to the Mount Brown Lookout with a Glacier Mountaineering Society group on March 12, 2011. So it was not that recent — but time does fly by when you're not paying attention. And since it was March 12 it was technically winter and not yet spring. Here's a few pics from that outing. Anyone who wants to give this a try should keep in mind that the route to the lookout crosses some avalanche terrain. Your group should be knowledgeable about avalanche safety, be prepared with proper gear and the experience to use it and go only when conditions are deemed safe.

Mount Edwards on the way up.

Approaching the lookout.

The group at the lookout. Note that it is best to snowshoe with a group that contains fast and fit people. They go first and pack down a nice trail that's easy to follow.

Ummm, the view toward Apgar wasn't all that bad imo.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Postby PeteE » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:43 am

Hey Ralph:
Thanks for posting those images. Hard to believe it was 8 years ago!
And yes, that view of Apgar you posted is FAR and away better than mine. Snow makes all the difference.
Plus, I doubt there were many flies up there in March 20011 8)

I wouldn't try getting up there if there was a chance of avalanche activity.
I'm probably not physically fit enough to try snowshoeing up there either.

PeteE

Postby PeteE » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:07 am

Since the weather forecast was not looking good for today, Friday and through the weekend, I drove out to the park to try for more pictures yesterday afternoon.
Unfortunately, I got there a few hours too late. The humidity and warm air being pushed in from the SW toward and up and over the Divide created too much cloudiness.

Maybe you can see how that works from these few pics.

Things looked pretty good here as I drove by the Apgar boat ramp. The nice cumulus clouds were not too thick here on this end of the lake.
However, look in the distance. The clouds were piling up near the Continental Divide as the warm, humid air is pushed up ahead of the incoming front.

By the time I got farther down the lake here's how it looked for these two. Not bad but you can see the clouds getting denser toward the Divide.

When I arrived at Lake McDonald Lodge, the view towards the Divide was jammed up with white/grey clouds and not worth doing any pics. Too much wind chop on the lake for any reflection so I spent some time with my little buddy Clyde 8)

Here is a 3 frame panographic taken with a 16mm lens of the front approaching from the SW that was driving the humidity up.
I took this out on Braig road east of Whitefish around 7PM. This view covers an angle of about 160 degrees.
That is Teakettle on the far left--almost due East of me. The Sun is setting almost due West just out of view on the far right.
Braig road, where I'm standing runs due E-W.

PeteE

PreviousNext

Return to Photography