2019 "Snaps" Around Gracier National Park...plus

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: 2019 "Snaps" Around Gracier National Park...plus

Postby teapot57 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:24 pm

Scree notwithstanding, this looks much more doable than the cliffs along the way to Natahki Lake.

Bob Spirko has an amazing blog (see Pete’s link) and has climbed several peaks within driving distance of Calgary, including quite a few in Glacier. It’s worth the time to browse his blog and read about his climbs.
teapot57

Postby Jay w » Sat May 18, 2019 6:57 pm

The problem last time, was 30 mph winds at the surface, (plus gusts), and it was rippin' so hard up high that we thought we heard avalanches. (Wind sheer over the ridge.)

Wow, I been up on Two Med pass and experienced what I estimated to be 50-60 mph gusts, but that day with you was the windiest I've seen in Glacier.

Jay W (windy)
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Sat May 18, 2019 9:20 pm

teapot57 wrote:Scree notwithstanding, this looks much more doable than the cliffs along the way to Natahki Lake.

Bob Spirko has an amazing blog (see Pete’s link) and has climbed several peaks within driving distance of Calgary, including quite a few in Glacier. It’s worth the time to browse his blog and read about his climbs.

Tina:

I went back and looked at his Montana reports and pictures. Bob and his wife are quite the mountaineers aren't they?
I like their reports. Very good photo documentation and descriptions of the routes they took.
I posted a video clip of when Jay and I were up there last year so people could see he wasn't exaggerating about the wind.
And it was the same when you, Bill and I were up there in 2017. Must be something to do with the topography of that place?

Jay w wrote:The problem last time, was 30 mph winds at the surface, (plus gusts), and it was rippin' so hard up high that we thought we heard avalanches. (Wind sheer over the ridge.)

Wow, I been up on Two Med pass and experienced what I estimated to be 50-60 mph gusts, but that day with you was the windiest I've seen in Glacier.

Jay W (windy)

Yeah it was way too windy to be messing around up higher.
Getting blown off your feet and falling even on a relatively low angle scree/talus slope could be serious, maybe fatal.
Windy!!
https://photos.smugmug.com/Apikuni-Fall ... y-1920.mp4
This was last year when I was turned back again at the Piegan-Pollack saddle
Audio is hard to hear in a lot of the video because of the wind.
https://photos.smugmug.com/GNP-Lame-Vid ... s-1920.mp4

Back in 2015 I had to turn back from attempting to summit Piegan because the wind was blowing a gale. That's when I met chatter Scott-Atl and his friends.
I was coming back from the saddle between Pollack and Piegan where I had turned around. On the way back I saw this "cub" and her mom above the trail under Cataract Mt.
Two days later I tried to get up on Piegan again. It was till windy but I was going to try again when I ran into the same sow and cub again. They were only about 50 yards above the trail and this time I couldn't get around them without angling closer to them. So I had to turn around again. Got some nice video though so the day wasn't a total bust.
8)

Wednesday, two days before the video(Posting it asap). Sow here

The cub here was a beautiful grizzly, "silverback" bear. as you'll see better below.

Two days later they were digging roots in this shallow depression
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Tue May 21, 2019 7:43 am

Blah, blah, blah....
PeteE

Postby tibber » Tue May 21, 2019 7:09 pm

pretty cool bear photos for sure!
tibber

Postby JayAndersen » Wed May 22, 2019 11:41 pm

Great pics and stories Pete (and everyone else). Hopefully I'll have some to share in a couple weeks, I'm heading out that way in a couple days. :arrow:
JayAndersen

Postby PeteE » Thu May 23, 2019 7:10 am

JayAndersen wrote:Great pics and stories Pete (and everyone else). Hopefully I'll have some to share in a couple weeks, I'm heading out that way in a couple days. :arrow:

Thanks Jay. :D

How long you here for if I may ask?

Bring your rain gear and maybe traction aids--some trails may have fair amounts of snow remaining(Iceberg Lake).
Mosquitoes are out too. Bears too. No baby animals yet that I'm aware of. Still a bit early, but...
If moose calves come, cows can be really nasty business.

While the forecast isn't awful, it does call for some light rain showers and possible thunderstorms for the weekend.
This is our rainy season after all. 8)
Nothing of a strong "frontal" nature so hiking shouldn't be hampered much.

More areas are opening up for hiking on both sides of the park.
That said, the best hiking opportunities will probably be in Many Glacier (imo).
The Inside Road is now open to both Bowman Lake and Kintla Lake in the North Fork area.
Beautiful this time of year with the lots of snow still capping the mountains.

Cheers and welcome to the chat.
Sending you a private message too.

pete
:wink:
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Thu May 23, 2019 7:36 am

Blast From The Past

A cousin of mine wanted a full size copy of my avatar picture. Why, she wanted it I have no clue :)
I thought I had lost the original forever but found it last night.

JasonND took it with my disposable film camera in August 2010.
It was my first time doing the ShangriLa hike and became one of my favorite hikes in the park.
I've done it 20+ times since then. Did it 3 times in one 8 day stretch one year. :shock:
THANKS Jason!!
I have lots of good memories from doing ShangriLa over the last 9 years.

pete :wink:

Sometimes nostalgia is a good thing 8)

Last edited by PeteE on Thu May 23, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteE

Postby Carol Lynn » Thu May 23, 2019 8:09 am

Wow, I can see why she wanted a full size copy of that photo! What a gorgeous backdrop with her cousin in the foreground.
Carol Lynn

Postby TnTammy » Thu May 23, 2019 5:55 pm

We were two lucky ones that Pete guided up and Downnn ShangriLa, some of which was butt-sliding on snow down to Iceburg Lake. That day will always be one of our favorites on any trail. Pete was so patient and encouraging showing us the way up the cliffs. Spectacular views and great company. Seeing this pic of him took me back to the day.
Thanks Geezer! :wink:
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Postby Jay w » Thu May 23, 2019 7:13 pm

What kind of trousers are you wearing?

Ok, just kidding. Likewise, Pete, thanks for showing me the way up to Shangra La. I think I’ve done it 4-5 times and probably twice with you. Great hike.
Found out my neighbor got a 3 day permit for Dawson Pitamakin. Not particularly the most exciting backpack trip, but it’s still a great hike. In order to get the permit, they cut the group size to 4 (smart) which means I’m out but on the reserve list. I think my preference would be Belly River since I really haven’t seen that area.

Ok, not bunch to report.

Jay

Fish tacos for dinner :)
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Thu May 23, 2019 9:01 pm

First, THANKS Tammy for those most kind words. I loved showing you and Mike ShangriLa :D
And speaking of butt slidin' :mrgreen:
40 second clip
https://photos.smugmug.com/GNP-Lame-Vid ... la-640.mp4

And now....
I suppose this will sound truly lame and maybe self serving, but it really is sincere...
I've had sooooooo much fun over the last 9 years taking many people, most all of them chatters, on the ShangriLa hike.
"Paying it forward" as they say from when JasonND first took me on the ShangriLa hike.

For me, the ShangriLa hike epitomizes much of what Glacier National Park is all about.
One gets to see and experience a wide variety of the different terrain and features that GNP has to offer in a single hike to:
The iconic Iceberg Lake, one of Glacier's most popular destinations.

Getting to Iceberg lake via the ShangriLa route makes the hike a "loop" versus going out and back on the same route.
The off trail part of the route allows one to do a little bushwhacking, a creek crossing, scramble up 400ft of cliffs and ledges--relatively safely. 8)
Dip your hat in the clear, cold outlet creek of ShangriLa Lake--maybe take a swim.
Stroll up through the alpine flowers on the shoulder of the mighty Mt Wilbur.

And then the "money shot" as some may call it.
There's nothing quite like topping that ridge and looking down at Iceberg Lake and the surrounding cirque.
And I have never tired of seeing the "look" on the faces of first time visitors to this magnificent scene.
The fatigue of the nearly 5 miles and 2000ft elevation gain from the Swiftcurrent parking lot just disappears as they gaze down at the lake and the bergs floating in it.
And of course it's always fun coming down the scree slope, however you want to do it, to the crowd on Iceberg Lake's "beach".
A little ego boost from the hikers there asking, "How did you do THAT?" is always nice. :D
It also makes the down hill hike back to Swiftcurrent along the regular Iceberg lake trail a lot more enjoyable.

pete :wink:

This was one of the most memorable and emotional experiences I ever had hiking in Glacier Park.
And I'm sure it was the same for Kim (“Poky5mom”) and her husband Kent.
We all knew it would be Andy's last visit to Glacier Park, a place he loved dearly.
ShangriLa was to be HockeyRef's next to last hike in Glacier before he passed away. :(
In his own words:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7891

A truly poignant moment. Andy standing among the flowers before we descended to Iceberg Lake
PeteE

Postby JayAndersen » Thu May 23, 2019 11:22 pm

PeteE wrote:
JayAndersen wrote:Great pics and stories Pete (and everyone else). Hopefully I'll have some to share in a couple weeks, I'm heading out that way in a couple days. :arrow:

Thanks Jay. :D

How long you here for if I may ask?

pete
:wink:

I'll be around the park for 7 days, starting on the 26th. Thanks for the tips. No set itinerary, but I'll either be cycling the sun road or hiking on the West side (Avalanche, Bowman, etc). Landscape photography at sunrise and sunset. :)
JayAndersen

Postby TnTammy » Fri May 24, 2019 10:59 am

:lol: :arrow: :lol:
Talk about taking me back to The Day! Such a great time Pete!

Beautiful photo of Andy with the clouds and peaks. Doesn't get more fitting than that. Must be so special for you to have taken him.
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Postby TnTammy » Fri May 24, 2019 11:00 am

Ooops, double posted
Last edited by TnTammy on Sun May 26, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Photography