2019 "Snaps" Around Gracier National Park...plus

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: 2019 "Snaps" Around Gracier National Park...plus

Postby PeteE » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:34 am

Spring Snow along the North Fork at The Great Northern Flats

It's easy to see why the North Fork of the Flathead River is listed as a National Scenic River on a day like this.

Temperatures in the mid 50's, clear air, gentle breezes, near absolute quiet made my first back country snow skiing experience a delight!
The abundant sunshine softened the snow making it ideal for late afternoon skiing. My new Madshus Epoch 68 BC skis performed just as I hoped.
There's nothing like being able to glide effortlessly across the snow. I only wish I had taken up this sport years ago.

I didn't make it out there until about 4PM, so I limited my skiing to the mile or so along the bank of the North Fork.
The Apgar Mountains are in Glacier Park is across the river.

I'm hoping to get out earlier Thursday :)

Here's a few snaps from yesterday. The video may better show just how beautiful a day it was.
I should have it up tonight.

All shot with 16mm lens with no filter. Most were made at f16 with varying shutter speeds.
The only editing done was adjusting brightness and contrast. No color adjustment; it was that kind of day :)
The multi-frame panographics were cropped slightly.

pete :wink:

PeteE

Postby Ear Mountain » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:51 am

Very nice photos Pete. I definitely agree that cross country skiing is magical when conditions come together like that.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Postby TnTammy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:36 pm

Absolutely beautiful pics Pete!
Its so cool that you're out there!! One is left to imagine the sounds of the snow as the skis carve through. I feel like my heart slows 10-20 beats and sighs with an Aaaahhhh seeing those pretty pics.
Thanks so much for sharing!
Tam

PS. Great to see Clyde bein' Sociable again 8) Its neat to see the reflection in his eyes.
TnTammy
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:13 pm

Ear Mountain wrote:Very nice photos Pete. I definitely agree that cross country skiing is magical when conditions come together like that.

Thanks Ralph!
It really is almost magical. I had no idea. Snowshoeing is noisy by comparison--and requires more effort, even on good snow like this.
I'm looking forward to more skiing :)

TnTammy wrote:Absolutely beautiful pics Pete!
Its so cool that you're out there!! One is left to imagine the sounds of the snow as the skis carve through. I feel like my heart slows 10-20 beats and sighs with an Aaaahhhh seeing those pretty pics.
Thank you Tammy :) Yup, the sound of the skis going through the snow is kind of unique in my experience. And since there is very little ambient noise, it seems soooo nice--gratifying in some way.
Ha!! Not sure if I need to slow my heart down any more LOL!!
Yesterday morning when I recorded my heart rate and blood pressure, 121/70 HR was 46, and this AM 126/70 HR was 43 :shock:
These are always "resting" figures.
Exercise working? Or just slow with old age?

Thanks so much for sharing!
Most welcome. Hi to Mike and Nathan!!

Tam

PS. Great to see Clyde bein' Sociable again 8) Its neat to see the reflection in his eyes.
That old bugger is a real character isn't he? Ravens are so smart, but can be aggravating when they are unpredictable LOLOL!
It's hard to describe his eyes and the way he looks at me sometimes. Fascinating creatures.
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:35 pm

PizzaBob invited me to go with Sandy and son John up to the Summit House Wednesday afternoon.
The views from up there are spectacular.
I'll be going again since the chair lift is FREE for us "Super Geezers" over 70! 8)

This view is looking towards GNP from the Summit House on Big Mountain here in Whitefish.
Can't ID the mountains properly because I didn't have my compass to get bearings, but this view is basically to the E/SE.
Could that be Mt Stimson center frame?

I plan to go again tomorrow better prepared with a different len(s) and try again.
This is a 5 frame panographic. Not too sharp but I think you'll agree the view is pretty nice! :)
Click on this link for a better image. The image below was shrunk to fit here.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-b2Q ... NjQ-X3.jpg

PeteE

Postby paul » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:37 am

Nice picture Pete. I might be wrong but I think that it looks like Stimson is on the right side of the frame.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
paul
Donator
Donator

Postby Jay w » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:23 am

It's great you're getting out there and doing it, rather than (like us flatlanders) pokin' around on the web talking about it. I think I like the one with the sun and tree, and sun and shadows the best.

I have the silver Subaru up for sale. Yeah, I know, we've had a good time together. Like an old dog, I hate to see her go.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:17 am

paul wrote:Nice picture Pete. I might be wrong but I think that it looks like Stimson is on the right side of the frame.

Congratulations Paul!!
You were not wrong. That is Mt Stimson. :)
I plotted it at 90 deg. which is what it is according to this tool on the internet
https://acscdg.com/

The "pointy" mountain center frame is most likely Blackfoot if my compass bearing yesterday was correct. ~80 deg.
The marks on my compass are in 2 degree increments. My declination correction may be incorrect.
Plus the Summit House starting point I used for the map tool may have been off.

The map tool had Blackfoot at 79 deg. and Mt Jackson at 76 deg.
Mt Jackson is much taller than Blackfoot, so that pointy one could well be Jackson with Blackfoot being the one to the right of it.
Maybe EarMountain will know by the closer view picture I'll post below

The pics I took yesterday weren't much, if any better than 2 days ago.
There is quite a bit of "haze" present. I believe most of it is humidity as well as some smoke. Burn piles are OK now.
The air has been quite stagnant for 4-5 days. The bright sun has been evaporating the snow raising the level of humidity.
And with no wind, the water vapor and smoke are not being blown away. :(
Hopefully we'll get a front to move through here and blow all that out...and I'll get some better images.

This shot was yesterday. Didn't plot a bearing on this on. These mountains are in the park but well north of the West Glacier area.
I'd guess the left one is Anaconda(at 43 deg true from Summit House) Don't know about right most peak.
Feel free to guess 8)

This 5 frame panographic was taken with my old Minolta 58mm lens(~80mm in 35mm format)
The sky is still "dull" and kind of washed out like 2 days ago. :(
I bumped up the saturation about 10 points to help the trees.
Really need a nice CLEAR day like in the image below.

What I really need is a clear day like the late June day I took this one up at Logan Pass.
A front came through the day before and cleared things out.
The result was exceptionally clear air with blue sky, and nice puffy white clouds.

Jay w wrote:It's great you're getting out there and doing it, rather than (like us flatlanders) pokin' around on the web talking about it. I think I like the one with the sun and tree, and sun and shadows the best.

I thought about what you said about a previous shot I made with the sun doing that "star thing" when I saw it setting behind the ridge.
I like that effect.

Yeah, I'm headed out again today to the North Fork area. Unfortunately, the day is looking to be another hazy one.
Maybe look for some close shots where the haze won't matter. Dead trees? :)

I have the silver Subaru up for sale. Yeah, I know, we've had a good time together. Like an old dog, I hate to see her go.

Yup, I feel your pain. I hated letting go of my old Ranger "Squeeze" too. But after 307,000 miles he just had to go.
I kinda miss that manual transmission. Sometimes I still reach down to shift Jaybird LOLOL!!

Jay
Last edited by PeteE on Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
PeteE

Postby PeteE » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:45 am

This is what kind of day we've had for 4-5 days.
Not the greatest for photography :(

Looking down at Whitefish and the Flathead valley beyond from the Summit House on Big Mountain.

PeteE

Postby paul » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:17 am

PeteE wrote:
paul wrote:Nice picture Pete. I might be wrong but I think that it looks like Stimson is on the right side of the frame.

[b]Congratulations Paul!!
You were not wrong. That is Mt Stimson. :)
I plotted it at 90 deg. which is what it is according to this tool on the internet
https://acscdg.com/

I think what led me to guess Stimson was the shape of the mountain and the mountain to the right of it in the frame that looked like Mt Pinchot.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir
paul
Donator
Donator

Postby PeteE » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:58 am

Yesterday was another nice, but hazy day with washed out white/gray(ish) skies.
So I skipped the North Fork and rode out to Lake McDonald.
Lots of people there when I arrived around noon. The parking lot was nearly full on both sides!
The "dynamic duo" had no trouble spotting me though. 8)
Bonnie showed up too, so I guess they aren't nesting. Not yet anyway.
Why they were so standoffish from mid January to mid march will forever be a mystery to me.

Surprising me again, both of them followed me down to the lodge. :shock:
Bonnie is perched up in the upper right of the left picture while Clyde was perched directly above me.

ImageImage

While I spent the next hour or so wandering around taking pictures, Clyde hung out with me off and on.
After taking a few pics of Snyder creek, I walked over to the buildings on the other side. Clyde came over and landed.
At one point he made that weird vocalization he rarely does:
15 seconds
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-gZ3 ... J-1920.mp4

After I worked my way up to the car bridge across Snyder Creek to take some shots, he showed up again.
He landed on the snow bank above me watching me for a minute or so as I some pics.
After I climbed back up on the road, he was waiting on me, perched in a tree.
He then followed me as I walked back to my truck. He's never done anything like that before.

Snyder Creek is still frozen over where it comes down to the lake

Took these from the bank below the car bridge. You can see the foot bridge from the lodge in the distance

Looking up stream from the car bridge

looking down from bridge on upstream side

Something spooked Clyde right when I clicked the shutter.

Me and my buddy 8)
PeteE

Postby Ear Mountain » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:02 am

PeteE wrote:The map tool had Blackfoot at 79 deg. and Mt Jackson at 76 deg.
Mt Jackson is much taller than Blackfoot, so that pointy one could well be Jackson with Blackfoot being the one to the right of it.
Maybe Ear Mountain will know by the closer view picture I'll post below.[/b]

Ear Mountain wrote:I always enjoy the puzzle of trying to identify peaks from different angles. I think if you spend the time to reach the summits it helps one identify the peak from various angles. But views from Big Mountain are quite unique and they present some interesting challenges. High peaks further east and the challenging angle of view add to the confusion. I'll give it a try and put my comments in this color under the photos.I would have responded sooner but I've been away soaking up some Texas sunshine the last week or so.

Starting on the left the LEFT the three tall peaks on the skyline are Edwards, Gunsight and Jackson. Not sure if you can actually see Blackfoot though. The high skyline peak on the right is not Stimson but I can't decipher exactly what it is.

This shot was yesterday. Didn't plot a bearing on this on. These mountains are in the park but well north of the West Glacier area.
I'd guess the left one is Anaconda(at 43 deg true from Summit House) Don't know about right most peak.
Feel free to guess 8)

I can't make out Anaconda. Climbed it maybe 10 years ago but it alludes me now. The big massif just left of center is Rainbow and Carter with Rainbow in front of Carter. Vulture Peak is a big mountain and may be the complex of peaks near the right edge. Not 100% sure of this though. Might need high resolution.

This 5 frame panographic was taken with my old Minolta 58mm lens(~80mm in 35mm format)
The sky is still "dull" and kind of washed out like 2 days ago. :(
I bumped up the saturation about 10 points to help the trees.
Really need a nice CLEAR day like in the image below.

This photo definitely shows Mount Stimson on the far right. Just to the right of Stimson is Pinchot which has a flat top and a pointy peak at its far (left) end. You can just see that pointy thing in the photo. That's the key to identifying Stimson. Most people who climb Stimson reach the high saddle between between Stimson and Pinchot. They then walk up the ridge on Stimson. How you get to the saddle is the fun part. :wink:
Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Postby llholmes1948 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:59 am

Pete and Ralph,

Enjoyed those photos and the IDs of them very much. In the top photo, is Jackson the pointed peak? I don't think I have ever seen it from that angle.

Thanks,
Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Postby Ear Mountain » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:54 am

llholmes1948 wrote:Pete and Ralph,

Enjoyed those photos and the IDs of them very much. In the top photo, is Jackson the pointed peak? I don't think I have ever seen it from that angle.

Thanks,
Lyman

I'm pretty sure that the pointed peak in the center of the photo is Jackson.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Postby PeteE » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:24 pm

Ear Mountain wrote:
llholmes1948 wrote:Pete and Ralph,

Thanks,
Lyman

I'm pretty sure that the pointed peak in the center of the photo is Jackson.

Hey Lyman! These pics don't do justice to the incredible view one has from up at the summit house.
I just wish it'd been a more clear day.

Thanks Ralph for your help with the peak IDs. Much appreciated.
I'm sure the weather was better in Texas :) Or at least warmer?

It's amazing how different these peaks look from different perspectives.
I have NO clue on most of them.
A 2 degree error(the tics on my compass) is big at distances of 20 miles--which is the approximate distance from the summit house to Jackson.

Then there were problems with the images from haze and vibration.
The images I used were taken from the observation deck.
There were 30 or 40 people out there and they were PARTYING hard :mrgreen:
Drinking lots of beer and clomping around in ski boots shaking the crap out of the deck. I was trying to snap shots between clomps LOL!!
Shooting at 1/1000 sec. with lens zoomed to 180mm
Anyway, here are some frames I cropped that give a better look at Jackson and Stimson.
Too big to look at the biggest enlargement here, so click on the links for the best view of each.

3840x1464 pixels
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-HWJ ... zX5-4K.jpg
800x305

Stimson and Pinchot, it's notch easy to see here.
3840x2082 pixels
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-DW2 ... LPg-4K.jpg
800x434

Closer look at Rainbow
2560x1295
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-7dH ... v5p-X5.jpg

Maybe Anaconda or Vulture?
1600x1189
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-fHX ... KJZ-X3.jpg
800x595
PeteE

PreviousNext