2017 "Snaps" Around Glacier plus...

Glacier presents some great photographic opportunities, talk about it here.

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: 2017 "Snaps" Around Glacier plus...

Postby PeteE » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:31 pm

These Big Horn Sheep pics are from our hike to Grinnell Glacier Sunday, August 6.
Me, ND, his cousin Larry and their lifelong friend Bill.

We didn't see any animals on the way up. There were 3 rams initially feeding around the area where the trail disperses at the melt pond.
These two hung around browsing paying little attention to the dozens of people all around them.
This first ram I named Jimbo is a pretty nice ram, but pales compared to his older, much larger companion that follows that I named Brutus 8)
I really enjoy being around big horns and photographing them. They are beautiful animals.

Jimbo

He walked over pretty close to where I was standing on a rock to check me out

Jimbo in profile

Brutus is a really good example of an older, mature, and likely dominant ram. He briefly pushed Jimbo out of his way when they were browsing in those shrubs.
He has a massive body already with magnificent horn bosses. It's hard to imagine what' he'll look like in October. I believe he'll go 300lbs plus in the fall. He might be there now!

I like this picture a lot with his eye surrounded by that horn. Brutus is a big, powerful ram.
That huge, massive body along with his great horns will give him an advantage when the pushing, shoving and head butting commences in the fall.

later

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby dpratt » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:05 am

Impressive ram indeed. Nice captures, Pete.
dpratt
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Postby PeteE » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks Doug!
Those sheep are really fun to photograph.

Here are a few pics from Logan Pass this past Saturday August 5th.
A nasty morning. Chilly, in the high 40's and brisk wind from the east.
Warmed up later on.

pete
:wink:

The snowfield just before the 1st saddle

The first saddle going to Reynolds. The mountain is only about 200yards behind my head.

False summit of the Dragon's Tail is up there in the clouds. Why go? So I didn't. 8)

This nanny walked on to the platform while it was crowded.
I suggested people get off and stand on the rock areas and just let her go where she wanted.
And what she wanted was to lick that railing :)
She eventually walked off. People did well and gave her some space.
I have video of her licking. Embarrassing because I called this "nanny" a guy.
:oops:

This was a "billy" 8)

Flowers are coming along in spite of the lack of rain.

Parking was slam full when I got down about 2PM. Jaybird is in the #1A spot just right of center. They were parking on both sides of the road there by the Big Drift's remnants

PeteE

Postby PeteE » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:58 pm

The link below is a slideshow that is annotated.
The pictures are just as they came from the camera.
There is smoke around but it's not as bad as I thought it might be.

It smelled smokey at Lake McDonald early this morning, but was gorgeous when I stopped for coffee around 2:30PM.
At 5:30AM, the cool air and lack of wind allowed the smoke to settle in the valley.
BUT...it was quite breezy and gusty at Lake McDonald Lodge this afternoon.
That cleared the air out nicely. Never would know a fire was just a couple miles away.
The BAD news is that brisk wind was blowing straight up the hill towards Mt Brown---at least down low by the lodge.
The store manager said they were bringing in more crews to do some hand work below the fire to keep it from burning back towards the road.
The wind is worrisome since no rain is expected any time soon.

All that said...I would say that Glacier Park is still looking good for visitors. The East side is less smokey from folks I talked to who came up this AM from Many Glacier and Two Med. That's "anecdotal" so take it that way.
So those hiking and backpacking on the East side should be OK for the next few days---barring any new fires or old ones blowing up.
West side hikers and packers will be ok as well; they will have slightly less good views depending on wind direction, fire activity, all those impossible to predict variables.

I don't know what it looks like in CA, but based on what I saw today and heard, I would keep my "GNP" plans if I were coming out today.
Please understand that the nice conditions that obtain today could go bad very quickly depending on the fire situation and the weather, especially the wind.

pete
:wink:

Story type slideshow
http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/Geeze ... Tail/story
Altocumulus clouds above the Garden Wall See link https://www.weather.gov/abq/features_acsl

Looking west from the False Summit.
PeteE

Postby Jay w » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:42 am

Pete, I appreciate the (almost daily) updates even though I don't respond much.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby PeteE » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:56 am

Jay w wrote:Pete, I appreciate the (almost daily) updates even though I don't respond much.

Jay

No worries Jay!

I FAILED again at Mountaineering 101 :evil:
I may have to take "yoga" classes to be able to negotiate these skinny cracks.
That and carry a smaller pack with less "stuff".
I'll get there one day though :)

I didn't take many pics since it wasn't a Kodak day.

One note of interest.
I saw two gals at Logan Pass at about 0630 as they headed toward the Highline. Cold wind and they were in skimpy outfits with just a small pack.
They ran past us going down towards Siyeh Bend around 3:30PM telling us they were on mile 29!!!.
They ran from Logan Pass to Granite Park, up over Swiftcurrent to Many Glacier, then up to Piegan Pass and were exiting at Siyeh Bend.
Great to be that fit!!!!!!!!!!

Smokey sunrise at Logan

Looking down towards Swiftcurrent from the goat trail to the Pollock-Piegan saddle

Climbers coming behind me. I was 1st up there to the Great Cleft. Lunch Creek parking far below is at top of frame.

Two ravens sat on the rock for a long time. Fun watching them earlier doing acrobatic moves in the wind.

The Great Cleft is up there where you see the daylight in the crack.

I got to the red dot. All I needed to do was get to the green dot :(

This group of eight ladies at Piegan Pass bailed on doing Piegan because of the cold wind. I don't blame them. I have bailed because of the wind up there in the past. I met them up at the Piegan-Pollock saddle on my way down.
These ladies are VERY experienced hikers and scamblers. They belong to a ladies' hiking club in Lethbridge where most of them live. Lots of fun walking down with them. They can GO too :shock: . Said they needed to get down and go have a beer.
:arrow:

PeteE

Postby NDjason » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:11 pm

Pete - I think I told you this the other day in Whitefish, but we ran into a few groups doing the Logan Pass to Goat Haunt dayhike last week. But the craziest was this dude that looked like Zach Galifianakis that waltzed into Fifty Mountain at 8:00am while we were just finishing up breakfast. Let's just say he didn't look like a ultra-marathoner, but he did look like the happiest dude I've ever seen with a huge grin on his face, a pair of spandex shorts, a tank top, and a fanny pack. He was trying to figure out where the trail went once getting into camp, so I chatted with him for a few minutes and asked where he was going to/from. Turns out he had left Many Glacier THAT MORNING and was planning on hiking back via the tunnel. I asked him if he knew that had to be 50+ miles and he said yes. I thought he was crazy, but at least he was packing one of the small bear spray canisters on his fanny pack hip belt and was 20+ miles in by 8am. Hilariously, Heff and Miss Guiness saw him that night at ELF while eating an early dinner. I think the lunatic actually did it!
~ jason
NDjason
Donator
Donator

Postby Jay w » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:20 am

Pete, another fine report. ND, I've looked at that route and figured no way, no how. My last 20 mile hike left a significant mark, so 30 miles is even questionable. Hats off to that guy. Cool to hear.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jay w

Postby teapot57 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:17 am

Turns out he had left Many Glacier THAT MORNING and was planning on hiking back via the tunnel.

:shock:
teapot57

Postby PeteE » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:28 am

ND Ken from North Dakota :)
I got my stick back yesterday. Thanks for looking out for me and returning it.
I'm going to keep that "hieroglyph label" on it to remind me not to be leaving my stuff behind in the future!
I'll let you explain about the rock you found at Siyeh Pass with a similar "hieroglyph" 8)

:arrow: :arrow:

PeteE

Postby ND » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:32 pm

:lol: Pete, I guess technically it's called a petroglyph. However, that was one exceptional find and I'm glad you left it at the pass as not to disturb the historical value. That's all I'm going to say about it. Hahaha
Glad you got your hiking stick back! Thanks for coming along on the two great hikes we did a couple of weeks ago. It was a lot of fun and sweat :) as always.
ND

Postby PeteE » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:14 am

ND wrote::lol: Pete, I guess technically it's called a petroglyph. However, that was one exceptional find and I'm glad you left it at the pass as not to disturb the historical value. That's all I'm going to say about it. Hahaha
Glad you got your hiking stick back! Thanks for coming along on the two great hikes we did a couple of weeks ago. It was a lot of fun and sweat :) as always.

Oh My!!
I got my "glyphs" mixed up.
But yeah, I left the "petroglyph" up there at the pass. 8)
Thanks again for rescuing my stick and it was fun hiking with you Larry and Bill. Tell them "hi" for me.
I'm headed out this morning to Logan Pass but dunno what I'm going to do yet.
I'll know when I get there....maybe.

PeteE

Postby PeteE » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:09 pm

While driving up to Logan Pass this morning, I decided to do the Hockey Ref hike! :arrow:
Logan Pass to Granite Park, then up over Swiftcurrent Pass and down to the Swiftcurrent Inn.

Here I'm putting my rock on one of the Swiftcurrent Pass cairns Andy's memory.
:)

Didn't see much animal life, but this is only the second time I've gotten close enough to get any sort of picture of a pika. They are very hard to photograph, even as close as I was. They're still, then dash quickly to a new location. There were two of them cutting sprigs and taking them under this HUUUUGE boulder where they probably had a den.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pika&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

You can see the pall of smoke hanging over lake McDonald early this morning. It was gone at 5:30PM.

Got to the chalet in decent time. Ate a quick lunch and set out for Swiftcurrent Pass.

This shot is looking down the Swiftcurrent valley. Smoke haze wasn't as bad on the East side

After this shot my camera malfunctioned when changing batteries. I had to use my phone. Back with those tomorrow with good story on my luck hitching a ride back to Logan Pass!
Distance for the hike was 16.1 miles on my GPS
Hiking time 7:27mnutes excluding ~20 minutes for lunch when I turned off GPS.
Began at 0722 and finished at 1506
Good time for the Geezer.
:D
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

PeteE

Postby teapot57 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:18 pm

Wow, Pete! That's a really great time. Looking forward to hearing about your hitchhike. You are brave to head out on a hike like that without knowing how you'd get back to Logan Pass!
teapot57

Postby PeteE » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:39 am

I took new chatter catmorell on the Iceberg Lake hike via ShangriLa.

We had a terrific hike in spite of the slight smoke haze.
I've done that ShangriLa hike about 20 times now and I've never seen it so dry.
The big couloir beside the cliff/ledge section was nearly snow free. Two tiny chunks of snow/ice were all that was left :shock:
All the small creeks and seeps were virtually "dry"
Ptarmigan Creek was the lowest I've ever seen. :(

Last edited by PeteE on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteE

PreviousNext

Return to Photography