Current weather?

Looking for weather information?

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Re: Current weather?

Postby Ear Mountain » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:18 am

Jay w wrote:I bet the line is short for backcountry permits.
Jay

I was wondering if the park would even issue backcountry permits right now. Got my bc skis out and dusted them off. East side near Choteau is forecast for 24-36 inches. I'm betting that won't happen. But we'll probably get plenty enough for me to say I skied in September.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Postby indiana hiker » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:40 am

Looking at the webcams this morning, it seems the snow storm may happen. Hope any hikers have made it in to a safe place.
indiana hiker

Postby Ear Mountain » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:10 am

Roads on the east side of GNP are either closed (Looking Glass Hwy) or listed as snowpack and ice. Teton County Sheriff announced Emergency Travel Only in Teton County. Snowing hard and windy.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Postby sue » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:55 am

This post is for Pete!!

We have been reading about the blizzard conditions near GNP with forecast calling for possibly 3' of snow for your area by tonight!! Just wanted to say we are thinking of you and hope you stay safe during this storm!!! We both treasure our hike with you and several others to Siyeh Bend in August of 2012. Marie Zambo and her husband as well as Chip and his daughter, I believe!! Our goal was to get back to hike again but grandkids, commitments and the like seemed to get in our way. Drat!!!! Here's to wonderful hikes for you in 2020 and keep those trip reports coming. We live vicariously through them!!

Sad to hear of the tremendous crowds and morons who can't seem to follow the rules of the trails.....must be a vast difference from when we were there in '07, '10 and '12.

Sue and Paul in Indiana
sue

Postby PeteE » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:46 am

sue wrote:This post is for Pete!!

We have been reading about the blizzard conditions near GNP with forecast calling for possibly 3' of snow for your area by tonight!! Just wanted to say we are thinking of you and hope you stay safe during this storm!!!

Thanks for thinking of me Sue. Those of us who live here on the West Side will be fine.
The storm has turned out to be a big "Nothing Burger" for us 8) --at least so far. Lots of WIND here in the valley. 30-40mph out at my storage unit near the airport.
Cell service, cable TV, internet was interrupted here in the valley Saturday. Not sure why but probably trees blown over.
Snow on the surrounding mountains but not a lot. Raw today, still breezy and chilly--35F now. We might get an inch of snow here in the valley.
I spent all day yesterday finishing up moving from Whitefish to Kalispell.
I'm doing well though today. Unpacking stuff and doing laundry 8)

The East Side is another story from what I've seen in the news and GNP web cams. Looks brutal over there. The storm wouldn't rate a headline if it were January.
However, this sort of weather is unusual for the end of September. I sure hope the hunting parties in the Bob Marshall got the word and got out of there.
Depending on where they were it could be trouble. Some of those parties travel a LONG way back into the wilderness on horseback for their hunts.
One of the problems is that trees are still fully leafed out. The snow is going to bring some down. Travel could get ugly back in the wilderness.
And people in the wind prone areas around here may have power and cable problems.

We both treasure our hike with you and several others to Siyeh Bend in August of 2012. Marie Zambo and her husband as well as Chip and his daughter, I believe!!

That Siyeh Pass hike was a fun day wasn't it? Didn't Paul ride in the back of my old Ford Ranger "Squeeze" shuttling from Sunrift to the Bend? Had to put Squeeze down a couple years ago after 307,000 hard miles :(
I think we ended up having 10-11 people in our group since we picked up a few more at the TH and along the way. Remember Ken(Chip) had to bandage up my hand after I fell? LOLOL! Fun times and good memories. :D

Chip was back this year with his grandson. We did Siyeh Pass, The Dragon's Tail and ShangriLa. :D

Our goal was to get back to hike again but grandkids, commitments and the like seemed to get in our way. Drat!!!! Here's to wonderful hikes for you in 2020 and keep those trip reports coming. We live vicariously through them!!
I know what you mean. Times and commitments change. Plan on bringing grandkids next time. :)

Sad to hear of the tremendous crowds and morons who can't seem to follow the rules of the trails.....must be a vast difference from when we were there in '07, '10 and '12.
Yeah, it's quite a change from when y'all were here. The good news is that in spite of the crowds, the mountains and the trails are still beautiful and the hiking awesome as ever.
And so I'll continue to try and bring GNP to you and others as long as I can.
Give Paul my regards!!

pete :wink:

Sue and Paul in Indiana
PeteE

Postby Ear Mountain » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:51 am

sue wrote:This post is for Pete!!
We have been reading about the blizzard conditions near GNP with forecast calling for possibly 3' of snow for your area by tonight!!
Sue and Paul in Indiana

This is definitely an east side storm. Big moist low pressure system to the south and cold air to the north is pumping air back against the mountains on the east side. This is what is referred to as an Upslope Storm. In winter it brings tons of snow and in summer plenty of rain. Friends near Babb and others in East Glacier are reporting over three feet of snow as of Sunday morning. And it is still snow hard. Forecast is for continuous snow until last tonight or Monday morning.

I live just north of Choteau about 60 miles south of Browning. We received probably 18-24 inches of snow so far. It is still snowing hard. Another foot or so is forecast for today. The wind is pushing that around pretty good.

This storm is breaking September snowfall records for Great Falls, Choteau and Browning that were set in a similar September storm in 1934.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Previous

Return to Weather