July ??? 2018

Let us know when you will be visiting,

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

July ??? 2018

Postby al_in_al » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:37 am

I have not planned my Glacier trip for 2018 yet, and it's making me antsy! I applied for Yosemite's High Sierra Camps lottery with a wide range of dates, and I'm waiting to hear back on that - hopefully I'll find something out this week and can make some concrete plans.

My initial thought for GNP is a mid-July trip (or perhaps late July), so I'm looking for new hikes that will be accessible then. It looks like Crypt Lake might be a good choice. I'm also wondering about Triple Divide Pass - it's been on my planned itinerary the last two years, but has been dropped for various reasons. I'm not asking for specific predictions for this year - but is it true that many years it's been snow-free in mid July? My backup plan would be Medicine Grizzly Lake - if I try for the pass and encounter snow, I assume it would be worth it to backtrack to the lake?

Other ideas would be Iceberg Lake (with more icebergs than I've seen on my late August trips). Cracker Lake so I can spend more time in Many Glacier (or actually maybe Apikuni Falls, as I haven't done that yet). I'm guessing the Hidden Lake trail to the lake will be closed for bears as usual that time of year, but going down to the lake is still something I haven't done yet. And these are still on my to-do list:
Swiftcurrent Lookout (probably not this year)
Firebrand Pass
Cobalt Lake/Rockwell Falls/Two Med Pass
Huckleberry Lookout
Apgar Lookout
al_in_al

Re: July ??? 2018

Postby orin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:00 pm

Two years ago I backpacked over Triple Divide Pass on the July 4th weekend. I don't recall what the snowpack was like that year. There was minimal snow on the Cut Bank side of the pass, nothing that required any particular care. So yes it is possible depending on conditions. And Medicine Grizzly Lake is a fine choice as well either directly or overviewed from the lower parts of the trail to the pass. Personally I like the park in earlier summer. The crowds are slightly smaller and the chances of clear air are greater.
orin

Postby teapot57 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:05 pm

You could do Apikuni Falls the same day you do Iceberg Lake or any other hike in the Many Glacier area. It’s short, but worthwhile.
teapot57

Postby al_in_al » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:14 pm

orin wrote:Two years ago I backpacked over Triple Divide Pass on the July 4th weekend. I don't recall what the snowpack was like that year. There was minimal snow on the Cut Bank side of the pass, nothing that required any particular care. So yes it is possible depending on conditions. And Medicine Grizzly Lake is a fine choice as well either directly or overviewed from the lower parts of the trail to the pass. Personally I like the park in earlier summer. The crowds are slightly smaller and the chances of clear air are greater.

That sounds promising! Yeah, I'm definitely hoping for clean air. I'd like to see some snow in the landscape, and maybe more wildflowers in some areas.

teapot57 wrote:You could do Apikuni Falls the same day you do Iceberg Lake or any other hike in the Many Glacier area. It’s short, but worthwhile.

Is there a time of day that's better for this hike? I'm thinking maybe I'll combine it with kayaking on Swiftcurrent Lake; hopefully can position it in the middle of the trip to get a hiking break.
al_in_al

Postby PeteE » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:05 pm

The ShangriLa hike makes Iceberg Lake a loop hike.
All the snow and cold weather this year will probably make for good bergs in the lake in July.
The cliff/ledge section generally melts out by July most years since it gets good sun.
ShangriLa/Iceberg Lake trails have good flowers in July too.

You're a strong hiker. You can do Apgar in 1/2 day easily.
I like going early as possible in the morning.
It's cooler, and you won't see many people until you're on the way down.

Huckleberry is another good hike for its views once you get out of the woods and high enough.
Again, I'd start as early as possible. Huckleberry is much longer than Apgar and more elevation gain.
There is a short section where snow persists some years. So you may want to ask about that later on in your planning.

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby al_in_al » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:42 am

PeteE wrote:The ShangriLa hike makes Iceberg Lake a loop hike.
All the snow and cold weather this year will probably make for good bergs in the lake in July.
The cliff/ledge section generally melts out by July most years since it gets good sun.
ShangriLa/Iceberg Lake trails have good flowers in July too.

You're a strong hiker. You can do Apgar in 1/2 day easily.
I like going early as possible in the morning.
It's cooler, and you won't see many people until you're on the way down.

Huckleberry is another good hike for its views once you get out of the woods and high enough.
Again, I'd start as early as possible. Huckleberry is much longer than Apgar and more elevation gain.
There is a short section where snow persists some years. So you may want to ask about that later on in your planning.

pete :wink:

Thanks! ShangriLa is a good idea, but I've seen your pictures describing that hike, and I'm not sure I could do it - the cliff section would be iffy, and the scree part looks terrifying!
al_in_al

Postby al_in_al » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:22 am

I booked my flights last month, and got a nice surprise yesterday when a schedule change with the airline meant that I got an earlier flight into FCA! I'm super excited that we're arriving early afternoon instead of 9PM that first day! Here's my current plan:

7/18 - Arrive early afternoon, late afternoon hike to Hidden Lake Overlook or Avalanche Lake, or drive up to Polebridge for dinner.
7/19 - Apgar Lookout and/or any of the above.
7/20 - Firebrand Pass, dinner at Serrano's.
7/21 - Crypt Lake (stay in Waterton night before), Wieners of Waterton for dinner.
7/22 - Apikuni Falls, kayaking in Swiftcurrent Lake, rest day.
7/23 - Iceberg Lake.
7/24 - Triple Divide Pass (or Medicine Grizzly Lake)
7/25 - fly out around noon.
al_in_al

Return to 2018 Trip Dates