Kintla to Bowman Lake July 31st - August 3rd

Let us know when you will be visiting,

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Kintla to Bowman Lake July 31st - August 3rd

Postby Kelraen » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:57 pm

Finally making my way to Glacier this year for the first time! I got permits to be able to do Kintla Lake to Bowman Lake via Boulder Pass starting July 31st. I'm looking for thoughts about the best way to get from Bowman Lake to Kintla lake to set up a shuttle. We have enough people where we could have two cars, but don't really want to rent two vehicles. I've heard (through forums here as well as other places) that hitchhiking isn't too bad of an option, but I'm not sure. Looking to leave a car at Bowman Lake on July 31st and either going to Kintla lake the night of July 31st or spending the night at Bowman lake on the 31st and going up to Kintla on August 1st. Any thoughts on the best way to do this? Is there anyone in the area that could/would be willing to help?

Also, after our backcountry portion of the trip we have two days on the Eastern side of the park. Any recommendations for the best hikes to do from the East side?

Thanks, I appreciate any help or advice!
Kelraen

Re: Kintla to Bowman Lake July 31st - August 3rd

Postby llholmes1948 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:28 pm

For your East side hikes, I would suggest that you consider Pitamakan-Dawson at Two Medicine if you have enough stamina left or Grinnell Glacier, Iceberg Lake, Cracker Lake or Siyeh Pass. The latter two will have less traffic. Grinnell Glacier and Iceberg Lake will probably be busy as they are popular hikes. Of course the Highline - Loop or Highline - Swiftcurrent Pass are also good.

Hope you have a great trip and will post a report of your trip.

Lyman
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator

Postby mellenwood » Wed May 30, 2018 1:41 pm

I'm looking to do the same route during the same week! I'm unfortunately likely traveling alone (working on convincing a friend to join) and can't figure out what to do to get back to my car. Thought about hitchhiking, but as a single female, I'm not totally comfortable with that.

What are your thoughts on coordinating a car swap?? I could go backwards, the same route--and we switch cars at either end to return to each other.
mellenwood

Postby orin » Wed May 30, 2018 4:49 pm

If nothing else works out and you have the option of bringing a bike, the ride is about 20 miles and can be done in 2 or 3 hours. The logistics are a bit complicated but I've done it successfully a couple of times.
orin

Postby Kelraen » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:45 pm

mellenwood wrote:I'm looking to do the same route during the same week! I'm unfortunately likely traveling alone (working on convincing a friend to join) and can't figure out what to do to get back to my car. Thought about hitchhiking, but as a single female, I'm not totally comfortable with that.

What are your thoughts on coordinating a car swap?? I could go backwards, the same route--and we switch cars at either end to return to each other.

I PM’d you so we can talk about the possibility of doing a car swap. Let me know!
Kelraen

Return to 2018 Trip Dates