Mid August Advice

Let us know when you will be visiting,

Moderators: Kathy, Tara

Mid August Advice

Postby cfd » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:06 pm

Hello all! I have a question about my first visit to Glacier. I will be able to visit the park from 16 to 20 August, and I'd like to do a 3-4 night trip, hiking on my own. I'm a pretty experienced backpacker, although I'm a desk jockey now so I think that I shouldn't do more than 8-10 miles / day. I had been hoping to go in at Bowman Lake and out at Kintla lake (or vice versa) but my advance reservation for those routes failed. So a couple of questions:

1. Am I being excessively risky by thinking of doing that mileage alone? From reading the boards here it looks like not, but would be good to get confirmation.
2. Do you have any advice on what to do with reservations? Is it a bad idea to just show up and hope that there is a good route with campsites available, or should I just shift dates and find something where I can get an advance reservation?

Thanks for your help!

-Carl
cfd

Re: Mid August Advice

Postby NDjason » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:36 pm

Hey Carl! Welcome!

Only half the sites are reserved, so there's a good chance you can still get a good walk up permit. You can see on the website what's available the evening before. So look through the options, pick a few, and show up super early at one of the Backcountry permit offices (Apgar and St. Mary's are the biggest). If you don't get something on day one, daytime and try again the next day.

As for your milage, if you can get Bowman to Kintla with 3 (or preferably) 4 nights, you'll be in good shape. Milage is doable. Unless you're in the Nyack, you'll likely run into people in the trails or in camp, so you won't be hiking totally alone.

Have a great trip!
~ jason
NDjason
Donator
Donator

Postby cfd » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks Jason! One last question - is Apgar the best place to go for day of bookings? If so, how early do you recommend getting there?
cfd

Postby NDjason » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:39 am

I think there are likely to be more people at St Mary's or Apgar, but also more rangers serving multiple people at a time (with more tools at their disposal). Personally, I'd recommend going to one of the larger offices and getting there early early early. If you're already in Many or Two Medicine, I think you'd be fine. Just be first in line!

Good luck!
~ jason
NDjason
Donator
Donator

Postby ND » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:13 pm

Look at the GlacierNPS account in flickr. There's a picture of the line at the backcountry permit office in Apgar from today, August 1.
NDjason has it right.
Personally, I'd recommend going to one of the larger offices and getting there early early early.
ND

Postby PeteE » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:39 pm

ND wrote:Look at the GlacierNPS account in flickr. There's a picture of the line at the backcountry permit office in Apgar from today, August 1.
NDjason has it right.
Personally, I'd recommend going to one of the larger offices and getting there early early early.

Apgar BC Office line
https://www.flickr.com/photos/glaciernps/28852346797/

Maybe this will convince "skeptics" that 0500 probably isn't too early to get in line, maybe 0400.
It's just an hour or two of sleep you'll miss for the opportunity to get a backpack trip of a lifetime.
Send your partner for donuts and coffee! :D
Sleep when you get home 8)

pete :wink:
PeteE

Postby cfd » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:37 am

Awesome, thanks guys!
cfd

Return to 2018 Trip Dates