mattB
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Thinking Out Loud for 2020

Post by mattB »

al_in_al wrote:
mattB wrote:I wonder how they are going to do the meals at Sperry?
Its pretty tight quarters in the dining room, no way they could maintain social distancing during dinners. Breakfast might work ok.
Maybe they will limit how many people can stay at the lodge at any time, so the dining room won't be too crowded at dinner time?
There was an interview with the superintendent that said they would likely do take-and-go food.

https://hungryhorsenews.com/news/2020/a ... -state-10/
Where would people "go" to eat? Eating in the dorm building seems like a bad idea?
Sitting out on the rocks in the area might be ok, weather permitting..
Maybe they'll set up some temporary seating in the area. But spreading food smells and dropped scraps all around the area doesn't seem like a good idea, and also what about the weather?

PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Regarding Sperry where your meals are prepared for you, they could spread out the time for breakfast and dinner over a couple hours, say 0600-0800 and 1700-1900.

Guests and groups would be assigned a time to pick up their meal and a table in the dining hall. People would wait outside until their name is called, then enter, pick up their "boxed meal",drink, etc. go to their table, eat and get the hell out. 8)

Kevin just needs to adopt a policy similar to Bob's Grill in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina. To wit:

Bob’s Grill has been a go-to Kill Devil Hills restaurant since 1994. With their plate-sized pancakes, fresh-made hash browns, seafood burritos and Angus beef burgers, it’s easy to see why.

“Eat and Get the Hell Out” developed as our slogan during popular and crowded lunchtimes as founder Bob McCoy would move through the crowds at his Kill Devil Hills restaurant urging lollygagging locals to get a move on so he could seat waiting customers. After you eat, but before you get the hell out, be sure to pick up a Bob’s Grill souvenir featuring their slogan.

When I lived in Norfolk VA, I ate there many times when I went to the Outer Banks on fishing and camping trips.
Good burgers and a fun place to eat. I had a T-shirt I bought in the late 90's that I finally had to toss a few years ago. :mrgreen:
Brindledog, you ever eat there?

pete :wink: :wink:
"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

brindledog
Donator
Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by brindledog »

I have never eaten there, but I like their slogan. Growing up (in Laurinburg, NC), we always headed to beaches in the southern part of NC. 4+ hours in a station wagon with 3 kids and no A/C to get to Kill Devil Hills would have pushed my parents over the edge. I'll bet the food is good, though. Love the small town diners.

Ear Mountain
Moderator & Donator
Moderator & Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

PeteE wrote:...eat and get the hell out....:
Reminds me of the mess hall during basic training in 1970.
Ear Mountain Photography.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2012.

al_in_al

Post by al_in_al »

Well, my Glacier plans have completely fallen apart.

I canceled my Sperry stay because I didn't want to risk losing the deposit $$ if it isn't appropriate to travel in August.

I also had to cancel my flights on United - they took away the flight from my hometown to Denver and put me on an impossible itinerary with 2 layovers - no thanks. Luckily that means I got a full refund.

I might still make a last minute decision to travel if conditions improve, and there aren't any quarantine orders in place. I still have some hotel reservations active in August. I'm also considering visiting later in September - I've never been in Sept before, so it might be worth it to try this year.

calicotraveler

Post by calicotraveler »

Our trip had similar problems. Flight changed from 2 layovers to 4 layovers and one of the flights was scheduled to leave before we even arrived at that airport. Impossible schedule. We got our money back. In addition to our lodging which was on the east side of Glacier and isn't open...they cancelled us. The trip is just in the "too hard pile" this year. Will wait till later. :(
The mountains are calling and I must go.

Selkie
Donator
Donator

Post by Selkie »

Montana tourism guidance:

https://commerce.mt.gov/News/PressRelea ... index.html

Total no. of cases in MT is about 2 days' worth of new cases in Florida. Still.
A mental walk-through of the airport experience will suggest how difficult it is to control (sanitize) one's environment. Repeat for a change of planes.

The world quietly goes mad.
:shock:

brindledog
Donator
Donator

Post by brindledog »

We had a similar flight situation: Our flight schedule was updated so that a connecting flight took off before our incoming flight landed. Normally, when I have the slightest schedule change, I get an e-mail alert. I called and the flight agent said they had so many flight updates that it probably didn't trigger a notice. I generally make my plans so early, and traveling with small kids in tow in the near past (they aren't so small anymore), I would always check on my flights about every two weeks to be sure our seats weren't split up. Lesson learned: I'm checking every few days now.

I talked to someone with Glacier Park Inc (I can't remember what they are called now, maybe Pursuit???) this morning and she said you wouldn't know there was a pandemic with the number of people swarming around. Should be an interesting year for a visit.